DCU Book Club Week 59: Doctor Mid-Nite (1999) Issues 1-3, Oct. 28 - Nov. 3

My first time posting after joining the book club. Thank you for having this one for discussion this week!

• Is this your first time reading Doctor Mid-Nite (1999)?
    Yup! I actually never heard of him before.

• How do you think this book holds up?
    I think this book holds up well. I was a bit confused at the beginning but I took my time reading it and finished it in one go.

• What do you think of our protagonist, Pieter Cross?
    I think he’s pretty cool as a caped crusader. One thing I notice is that he’s very selfless as he tries to do literally everything to save his friends and other people. If this book were to be continued I would have loved more of him working with and relying on his team too.

• What was your favorite panel and page?
    My favorite panel is the one from the end of 1st issue, where Dr. Cross ripped open his bandage and found out that he could see in the dark. That was pretty cool!

• Do you think Doctor Mid-Nite has a place in modern comics?
    I would think so, yes. I think the combination of his extensive knowledge and his mysterious persona would have made great stories. Not to mention the whole story being narrated by Ms. Marlowe is interesting to read! I like the health related lines too, like when Cross said to Marlowe don’t forget to take some vitamin haha.

All in all, it was a pretty fun read! I’m thinking of rereading it to understand more of the other characters. Thanks for bringing up this series! Looking forward to next week’s book!

4 Likes

This is my first time reading it.

This book was both very enjoyable and yet a little frustrating. Enjoyable in that I really enjoyed this take on the character and world, frustrating in that I’m peeved that none of the appearances I’ve seen of him in books like JSA never portrays him as this cool. In those books he feels kind of bland, a generic doctor in a mask, and now it feels like a disservice to the character.

2 Likes

Yep, first for me, and I quite enjoyed it.

Really well. It has sort of a timeless quality about it. I didn’t get a 90s or early 2000s vibe from it at all.

He was very aloof. I liked that the story isn’t told from his point of view, so we know him, but we don’t really know him. It would be cool too find out more about the supporting cast. How did he meet them, why are they so loyal, that sort of thing.

Mine is the same as @JLWWSM, that balanced diet panel made me laugh out loud.

He could, I would give a series starring him a chance. There could be some danger, though, off making him too Batman-like, so you would need a writer that could really capture a unique tone.

Where’s Matt Wagner been, anyway? Has he done anything recently?

1 Like

Hi @JasonTodd428 :wave:

That’s inspiring to hear. I love stories where people keep pushing on to make the world a better place, and even more so in real life!

That’s a beautiful panel! I love the colors so much in this.

I’m happy you enjoyed reading this and hopefully an executive somewhere will see the potential in making this a show.

Thanks for chiming in with us!

Hello @ProActress2O Welcome back!

I’m totally with you on this.

I pulled this page from Issue 3 page 48. It is gorgeous. Thanks for calling out it!

Thanks for joining in and reading along!

1 Like

Hi @norclune

Welcome to DCUBC!

Same here, it took me a minute to figure it out, but I couldn’t stop reading once I started.

That would be really cool to see.

It’s so cool that you and @JasonTodd428 picked the same panel. It’s a beautiful one. And a pivotal moment in the story.

The narration from Ms. Marlowe was a unique angle. I liked it!

I’m glad you enjoyed it and thanks for reading with us and sharing your thoughts!

Hi @Jay_Kay

This story really delved into his character in a unique way. It was fun to have this closer look at his character.

I’m happy you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading along with us and joining the discussion.

Hi @ralphsix

That’s a great way to say it and I agree. The point of view aspect of the story was one of the things that really made it unique.

Great point!

That’s a good question, I love his work. I was curious about that too. All of his DC work is listed here on the DC Comics website. I had no idea he wrote everything in this list.

Thanks for reading with us and sharing your feedback!

1 Like

Thank you and no problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

Most recently, Wagner did the art for an issue of Tom King’s Batman, I believe issue #54.

1 Like

This was my first time even hearing of Dr. Mid-Nite and now this makes me very upset that the other portrayals of the Doctor aren’t up to this standard. :frowning_face:

Probably one of my favorite things about the book is how we get the perspective of Marlowe. It adds mystery, intrigue, and a sense of wonder too. She is also a relatable figure as neither Marlowe nor the reader knows any background on Cross and she’s having the same thoughts as us.

1 Like

Hey friends!

Sorry for my sudden disappearance this week. My family and I have been dealing with a nasty stomach virus. We are almost out of the woods. As always thanks to @JLWWSM for standing in!

5 Likes

@Jay_Kay Thanks. That’s good to know. I wonder if he still writes. I really enjoyed his Batman and the Monster Men back in the day.

@Noyo Yeah, I thought her telling us what we need to know from the research she did in the first issue was a cool way to go.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:! Hope you’re all feeling better.

1 Like

Looking at it on Wikipedia, he’s still writing, but it’s mostly with Dynamite on their more pulpy characters. He’s written runs of The Shadow, The Green Hornet, Zorro, and Django/Zorro.

1 Like

First I have to say I am so glad you chose this book because I absolutely loved it! I would not have read it if you had not brought it to my attention

• Is this your first time reading Doctor Mid-Nite (1999)? This was the first time and now I want to read more.

• How do you think this book holds up? If I didn’t know the date beforehand I would have thought it was a modern book. In the present a lot of times we see corporate greed at the expense of individuals.

• What do you think of our protagonist, Pieter Cross? Even before he became Doctor Mid-Nite he was unlike other doctors. He was out in the streets doing good. It made me wonder more about his background. What made him the caring person that he was.

• What was your favorite panel and page?

This page made me think of James Bond villains telling their whole plan. Plus the page was just pretty.

• Do you think Doctor Mid-Nite has a place in modern comics? I would love to see a new Doctor Mid-Nite title. If it happened I think he would need more to differentiate him from Batman. In this series he was like Batman mixed with Marvel’s Daredevil.

2 Likes

Hi @BigBean and welcome!

That’s a great point, I want to know too!

SAME! The reds really pop out, while maintaining the gritty vibe of the story.

:spiral_notepad: Sounds like a perfect prescription for the next Doctor Mid-Nite title!

I’m happy you loved the story and am glad you chimed in with your thoughts. Thanks for joining!

2 Likes

Anytime! Glad to hear you all are on the road to recovery!

1 Like

First off, glad you’re feeling better, @MattMcDonald. :slight_smile:

Second off, what @BigBean said with the Terrible Trio reminded me that I think if there is one really weak link in this book, it’s absolutely the villains. They’re just insipid and bland, in my opinion. Their plan is so cookie cutter and goofy – like, they’re plan is to make money off of destroying this city, but the massive underground bases seem like they would cost WAY more than they would ever get back. It just seems like there was no thought in that part of the story other than “CORPORATION BAD.”

But to be fair, I don’t recall ever seeing a version of the Terrible Trio being in any way interesting. Like, they literally star in the worst episode of Batman: The Animated Series ever made.

1 Like