DCU Book Club Week 59: Doctor Mid-Nite (1999) Issues 1-3, Oct. 28 - Nov. 3

Discredited physician Dr. Pieter Cross is now the “Midnight Doctor,” a good Samaritan helping the less fortunate. When the new steroid A39 hits the streets, Pieter is concerned about the side effects and wants to shut down distribution. The men supplying the new drug take exception to this and try to kill the doctor with a heavy dose of the steroid and a car crash. Barely surviving but left blind, Pieter vows revenge. The fact that the steroid has left him able to see in the darkness leads him to take on the role of the new Dr. Mid-Nite.

Greetings!

Welcome back to another exciting week here at DC Universe Book Club! DC Universe’s very own community run book club. I’m so happy to see you!

How’s everyone enjoying 2.0? It’s pretty cool huh?

This week we are checking out Doctor Mid-Nite, Issues 1-3! This 3 issue prestige format series that has so much to offer. I think you’re gonna dig this one.

How to join the fun:

*Start reading! Issue One is available here!

• :alarm_clock:Read all three issues between 2019-10-28T04:00:00Z2019-11-03T04:00:00Z :alarm_clock:

• :memo:Tackle the below discussion questions at your leisure:memo:

• :speaking_head:Let us know what you thought of the book as a whole!:speaking_head:

And that’s it! Easy right?

:batman_hv_1:Spoiler discussion begins right now!:superman_hv_1:

:clark_hv_1:Discussion Questions:clark_hv_5:

• Is this your first time reading Doctor Mid-Nite (1999)?

• How do you think this book holds up?

• What do you think of our protagonist, Pieter Cross?

• What was your favorite panel and page?

• Do you think Doctor Mid-Nite has a place in modern comics?

Questions, comments, concerns? Feel Free to shoot me a message!

You can find more info on DCUBC Here!

The Doctor will see you know.

5 Likes

Never read this. Really, outside of a few JSA stories, I haven’t really rad anything with him. Should be an interesting book to try!

1 Like

I think I’ll give it a try as well. I’ve not read ot before either so it should be interesting.

2 Likes

It’s a really cool book! Can’t wait to hear what you think!

Very very interesting!

I just realized this is by the same author (Matt Wagner) as one of my all-time favorite comic books: Trinity.

I’ve never read anything with Doctor Mid-Nite. I’m excited to read this :open_book:

Sounds awesome. Can’t wait to read this and hear what everyone has to say.

1 Like

In the middle of the first issue, and I have to ask already: how is this not a TV show? Seriously, superhero shows are hot right now, and you know what’s always been successful on TV? Doctor shows. So bringing in a superhero doctor show? That should make mad bank.

1 Like

I think you’re on to something there! I would absolutely watch a Dr. Mid-Nite show.

Yes, it is!

I think it’s still relevant. The societal problems it explores still exist.

He is a devoted doctor who truly cares for people. He has the determination of a Green lantern or Batman.

This one. I need to pin this up on my cabinet when I’m tempted to grab chips or something unhealthy :laughing: It’s very effective in making me rethink food choices.

I think so. It’s inspirational to see a doctor fighting for people in desperate situations.

The scene where he woke up blind and we see things from his point of view - dark, just voices, was very powerful. I love the gritty art style that matches the gritty neighborhood, environment, and tone of the story.

Prior to reading this, I was only vaguely familiar with the character, so I was stoked to read a solo run for Dr. Mid-Nite. Thanks @MattMcDonald!

The Dr. is seeing @MattMcDonald. I will be hosting this topic from now through Sunday as Matt recovers. We wish you a speedy recovery Matt!

2 Likes

I wish @MattMcDonald a speedy recovery as well.

1 Like

Our discussion for Doctor Mid-Nite is open through Sunday night! :owl:

Yes it is. And I would love to read more. It was very interesting
    Pretty well considering a lot of the same issues are still prevalent in society. Plus I think people today can still relate to Pieter Cross and Camilla Marlowe.
    What. A. Dude. What more needs to be said. Despite being rejected from society he’s doing everything he can to help it. He does everything he can and that’s all I can ask.
    I just love Nite-Lite. And I’m a sucker for one liners and comedy.
    Without question. The comic is a bit more serious and up-front about social issues more than others I have read, as well as a bit lengthier, but I think they are well-crafted and excellent. I really enjoy the art work and diverse group of characters (Lemon being another favorite of mine). I could really use a prescription for more Dr. Mid-Nite
2 Likes

Hi! @Noyo

This is so inspirational. He could’ve just walked away forever, but instead he found a way to continue to help people.

:laughing: Same!

I’m happy you enjoyed the art work, diverse characters, and story! I could use the more-Dr.-Mid-Nite prescription too. To your point, this book tackled societal issues directly, with style, and heroics.

Thank you for reading along and letting us know your thoughts on the book!

2 Likes
  1. This is my first time reading Doctor Mid-Night( 1999).

2. I think this book holds up pretty well with the A39 drug acting like the opioid epidemic that has been sweeping the country for the last few years.

3. I think Pieter Cross is a one of a kind doctor. I mean who else would take care of the less fortunate on their own time and their own dollar and try to improve society in their own way. I know that he has a lot of money since his house looks like a mansion but he still takes his order as a doctor seriously.

4. My favorite part was this one. I thought it was cool to see Doctor Mid-Night and CamIlla on a roof top over looking the city ready for the fight that awaits them. I’m not sure if this picture is going to come out or not so I decided to put in a little description of the scene form book 2.

5. I think Doctor Mid-Night has a place in modern comics because we will always need heroes that can show us that even the people in the most difficult situations are worth fighting for.

3 Likes

Hiya! @Lecouch84

Wow, yes, so true!

His house was gorgeous. Even in 1999, he had somewhat of a modern “smart home”.

I love the perspective, angles and colors in the panel you shared, thanks for sharing it.

:arrow_up: I couldn’t agree more. :clap:

Thank you for joining the reading and discussion of Doctor Mid-Nite!

2 Likes
  1. This is my first time reading this book.

2. I think the book holds up very well today. The themes and situations are still very relevant in today’s society.

3. I liked Cross’s character a lot and found myself relating to his situation. Here’s this flawed but still decent human being out trying to make the world a better place in his own way despite the world slapping him around again and again. He reminds me of myself in a lot of ways.

4. My favorite panel was the one that showed how Cross views the world through “the lower spectrums”.

5. Most definitely.

Extras: I just wanted to add that I really enjoyed reading this book and to voice my opinion that this would make a great live action show.

3 Likes
    Yes

Definitely

I think he’s a great protagonist in similar ways to Batman but more methodical and grounded.

#3 and page 48

Yes, definitely

1 Like