DCU Book Club Week 57-58: KINGDOM COME (2010-), Issues 1-4, Oct 23- Oct 27

That Superman after the nuke image is pretty iconic. Certainly a homage to this classic.

2 Likes

Interesting. I wonder if that issue is on the service…

1 Like

Doesn’t look like it, there’s still a gap where 408 would go.

They referenced this image in Man of Steel, as well.

1 Like

I agree @AntLeon. Godfather Bruce is iconic. The son (or daughter) of Superman, Wonder Woman… and Batman ha! That diner scene is one of my favorite moments in comics.

• Is this your first time reading Kingdom Come?
    Yes, this is my first time. I may have to read it again, probably just to keep up…
  • In this story, do you think Superman is a good leader of the Justice League? Why or Why not?
    I would say, no he is not. In general, Superman is not a tactical thinker. Also, in general, Superman leads best when he leads by example. When he walked (well, flew) away from Magog, was more than just a bad example. I think there might be an argument of how out of character that decision is. But that decision set the tone for the next 10 years. The gulag and “teaching by force” is not the example Superman should be setting.
  • What was the most memorable moment between Superman and Wonder Woman to you?
    Hanging out in space, of course. There’s even a moment when they are both holding the magic lasso and after some words, the next panel is Superman letting it go before more truth is exposed. As a passive 'shipper, that and the diner scene fulfiilled a lot SuperWonder moments for me.
  • What was your favorite moment(s)?
    Other than previously discussed, in no particular order:
    Bruce betraying Lex; “i learned from the best” (i forget Bruce’s actual words, but I may have exclaimed “nice!” out loud when i read it)
    Bruce teasing Lex with “Shazam” in the hospital
    Now that i read it, the sound of marble on steel kiss, but more the next panel: “it is a passionless kiss.”
    maybe more when i think of them, other than the trinity end diner scene “in toto”.
2 Likes

Hi @AntLeon

Same! :rofl: There were so many fun exchanges like that throughout the story. SuperWonder in the diner with godfather Bruce fulfilled SuperWonder wishes I didn’t know I had!

Yeah, I agree. For me, Superman felt somewhat out of character, but then also not at all. And I love that the story walked the line like that and pushed everyone’s characters to the brink.

Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts with us!

1 Like

First of all I would like to say welcome back community 2.0 we all missed being able to talk about everything DC. Any way back to book club.

1 This is my first time reading Kingdom Come.

1. In this story I think that Superman is not a good leader of the Justice League for about 90% of the story due to the loss of Kansas, Lois, and other Daily Planet staff. It seems that he doesn’t know how to overcome this loss. However after talking to McCay towards the end at the UN he realizes that superheroes shouldn’t lead humans to be better but to show them that they can be better. I believe that this is what makes Superman finally become the leader that we all know that he can be and have seen in other stories.

2. I think the most memorable moment between Superman and Wonder Woman is the scene right before they find out about the uprising at The Gulag. This scene stuck out to me because of the difference in opinion in how to go about leading the new Justice League.

3. My favorite moments were any time they showed Planet Krypton, Deadman, the shock of Clark and Diana when Bruce knew that she was already pregnant, the shock of Bruce when they asked him to be their child’s godfather, and the art of the whole series.

Glad book club is back and can’t wait to read and discuss more stories with you all.

2 Likes

@Lecouch84 I agree with you on Deadman. That was a sweet scene. Alex Ross’s take on the character was awesome.

2 Likes
    Yes

• In this story, do you think Superman is a good leader of the Justice League? Why or Why not?
    I feel he’s a good leader but flawed because of one decision he made to turn his back on the society he swore to protect but came back

The moment where they were talking up in space in issue #3

The fight between Shazam and Supes

1 Like

It’s a beautiful Sunday morning and I’m reading Kingdom Come for the first time. It’s going to be hard to finish this one, because I cannot stop staring at this page.

I’ll report back soon!

4 Likes

Hi @Lecouch84

This! :arrow_up: Yes! It was a turning point in the story and the moment where I said, ok Supes is back now, whew.

I enjoyed the tension in the how to lead the Justice League discussions. It’s an interesting question with multiple answers.

I’m so glad you’re glad book club is back. I missed it too, I felt “off” last week, like I something was missing. And I’m sure it was book club.

Thanks for reading and discussing with us!

1 Like

Hi @ProActress2O and welcome!

It is so crazy how one decision by Supes can have such an impact on the world. As a Superman fan, it was difficult for me to see the impact of his decision and I was relieved at the end of the story where he grew and returned to the inspiring leader I’m familiar with.

There’s something kinda magical about the scene in space. It was so peaceful and unique.

That Shazam and Supes fight was epic. My heart raced while reading it.

Thank you for reading along and letting us know your thoughts on Kingdom Come!

2 Likes

:laughing: Now I can’t stop staring at it either.

1 Like

Howdy JL! :cowboy_hat_face::hugs:

1. So I actually didn’t read it for the book club but I have read this story a few times (2 for sure, want to say 3)

2. I am always for Superman being the leader of the JL personally. Sometimes he may be conflicted in doing what needs to be done, but to me thats why he needs to be the leader. He is the embodiment of truth and justice. In this comic I know he and WW disagree on how to handle things with the prison riot, but if anything they complement one another. Sup’s allows the JL to look at things from both sides and question not if they can but if they should. WW is the soldier who acts when Sup’s is hesitant to use force. Without him though WW could easily fall into the role of a dictator or extremist. Batman is the strategist, WW the warrior, and Sup’s the moral glue to bind & guide them. Also I get tiered of people writing Sup’s as naive. He can read, act, and think faster than almost anyone and has the knowledge of advance alien technology.

3. Hard to pick. I love the panels where they are sitting outside the watchtower also when she kisses him goodbye.

4. Favorite moments have to be the final battle along with the end in the restaurant goodness that has to be one of the best ends to any comic story. Leaves you laughing and content, while also making your imagination run wild with what the future holds.

2 Likes
    No, and it will not be my last. Awesome art work and spectacular writing.
    No. Superman was relying on things being like they were before he vanished. It took time, but he was able to win back the respect that a true leader needs, by both the public and his peers.
    In book one, when she tells him:
    “Kal, please. Our generation takes its lead from you. We always have.”
    I feel this is where we start to find out just how much he has removed himself. The 1st being he no longer goes by Clark.
    When we remember that Batman ALWAYS has a plan.
    Untitled-1
3 Likes

Howdy @Aquamon!

I think this was my fourth time reading the story. It’s one of my favorites.

I really enjoyed your break down for #2 and I agree with you.

Well said!

This kiss? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: They’re adorable .

Thanks for joining the discussion :hugs:

1 Like

Hi @rspezzano13.50251

I’m happy to hear you enjoyed the story and the art.

Just reading again that gives me shivers. It’s a powerful line. Thanks for highlighting it.

And I love your callout about him no longer going by Clark your point about needing time to win back respect.

:rofl: yes! yes he does. That’s awesome. Thanks for sharing the panel.

Welcome to the Community and to book club! And thanks for joining our discussion of Kingdom Come.

I love this. SO true.

1 Like

Got in a little late, but finally finished it. It definitely still holds up, and I would daresay it’s probably Mark Waid’s best work.

“In this story, do you think Superman is a good leader of the Justice League? Why or Why not?”

Interestingly, in his zeal to become a more official figurehead and leader, I think he does miss the mark. He tries to make tough decisions and aims to cross certain lines (almost acting more like Batman in a way), but he always falters a little bit in the process, because it’s just not in him.

Basically, like other said, it’s not until the end, when he realizes that while the world is different, he doesn’t need to warp his ideals to do things better, he becomes a better, more natural leader.

“What was the most memorable moment between Superman and Wonder Woman to you?”

I really liked the scene where the two are sitting outside the Watchtower, skipping stones off asteroids and talking about their recent past, including Diana’s exile. I loved the mix of the grounded, more human discussion, among the more fantastical setting that superhero stories can allow.

And at the end, when Diana meets Clark to talk and to give him his glasses, his key to being one with humanity, reminding him that he knows he’s blind without them.

“What was your favorite moment(s)?”

Thank you for adding the possibility for more, because if I had to choose one, I would have likely spontaneously combust. :smiley:

The diner, of course, is so full of great moments and little jokes (my favorite: “What’s the cut on the Power Girl chicken sandwich?” “Breast.” I know, I got the humor of a twelve year-old).

Bruce’s machinations were great to watch. The whole final fight was amazing, especially the clash between Batman and Wonder Woman.

Speaking of, anyone else get the feeling that if Ian Glen does put on the Batsuit in Titans, it’ll be in a streamlined version of the Kingdom Come suit at the end, maybe with a little DKR tossed in? I ought to try and draw that…

2 Likes

Hi Jay_Kay! Glad to have you anytime.

Wow, that was beautiful and poetic.

I laughed too. I thought to myself, “of course it is”. :woman_facepalming:

That sounds awesome. In my mind, Brandon Routh is leaving Legends of Tomorrow to be Kingdom Come Superman alongside Ian Glen’s Kingdom Come Batman - my mind is is fun place :laughing:.

Thanks for reading along and letting us know what you thought of the story!

1 Like