DCU Book Club Week 56: EXIT, STAGE LEFT: THE SNAGGLEPUSS CHRONICLES Issues 1-6

Greetings!

Welcome back to another wonderful week here at DCUBC, DC Universe’s very own community run book club! It’s so great to see you!

This week we are checking out Exit, Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles. This reimagining of the classic Hanna-Barbera cartoon stars Snagglepuss as a playwright in the height of Mccarthyism. If you enjoyed our look at The Flintstones, you’re gonna love this one.

Spoiler discussion begins RIGHT NOW and lasts until Sunday (10/13) evening, so make sure you stop by and tell us what you think!

:tickets:Discussion Questions​:tickets:

1.) Is this your first time reading Exit, Stage Left!: The Snagglepuss Chronicles?

2.) Which character was your favorite?

3.) What is the message of this story?

4.) What was your favorite Sasquatch Detective story?

Also make sure you let us know what you thought of the book as a whole! We can’t wait to hear from you!

:rotating_light: IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING THE NEXT COUPLE WEEKS :rotating_light: As you may have seen starting October 14 access to the community section will be restricted while it’s getting an upgrade. Our next selection will be KINGDOM COME Issues 1-4. Since 2.0 will have a slow roll out, Discussion for Kingdom Come will last until Sunday, October 27. The post will go up as soon as we get access to community 2.0. If you have any DCUBC related questions regarding the transition, please let @JLWWSM or myself know.

If you want to talk about all things DC and other fun stuff DCUBC is on Discord: https://discord.gg/SUs87JP

Want to catch up on our previous discussions? The DCUBC Archive can be found here: https://discord.gg/kfSNQP6

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me via email Mattcmcd@gmail.com or on Twitter @Mattmcdonald

6 Likes

Looking forward to jumping into this!

I started reading and I just had to stop at this panel (expand photo), “Hot Spaghetti, Alice!” I’ve never heard that expression before, it made me chuckle :slight_smile:

1 Like

I mean, I’ve heard of “hot tamale,” but not “hot spaghetti!”

1 Like

HOT SPAGHETTI THATS GOOD!

2 Likes

1.) Is this your first time reading Exit, Stage Left!: The Snagglepuss Chronicles?
Yep!

2.) Which character was your favorite?
Snagglepuss. He always has something witty and profound to say. I enjoyed everything he said.

3.) What is the message of this story?
Be yourself. Entertainment is necessary for us to reflect on ourselves, and to be a catalyst for change. There were a lot of great messages in this story. But those were the top two standouts to me.

4.) What was your favorite Sasquatch Detective story?
Unsolved Mysteries in Issue 3. I liked watching her use her senses and abilities to solve the old cases. Also, I thought the bathroom scene was funny.

Hot Spaghetti! This is a very unique story. Snagglepuss is a hero without a cape. It was a nice change of pace. Thanks @MattMcDonald!

1 Like

This was my last 1.0 book club. I feel like… some kind of way (hides tears). It’s been great 1.0 Book club! See ya on the other side!

1 Like

P.S. the speech in issue 5 was my favorite part.

1. This was my first time reading Exit Stage Left!: The Snagglepuss Chronicles. I have wanted to read this series since they did a review of it on DC Daily so this was a great surprise when it showed up in book club.

2. My favorite character was Snagglepuss although every character was relatable at some point throughout the story because you could feel their pain and sadness.

3. I think the message of the story was o always have hope. Hope that we do more good than bad. Hope that we touch other peoples lives. Hope that the world isn’t as bad as we think it is. Hope that our lives and others will get better and hope that one day we will be able to be ourselves without any prejudice.

4. My favorite Sasquatch Detective story was the first one because it showed all of their adventures since they became partners. I also liked seeing Wonder Woman plane fly by and getting a cameo of her in story 3.

Another great book club pick can’t wait to get community 2.0 and continue reading along some awesome comics with everyone.

1 Like

:fire: :spaghetti: ! I loved your answer for #3!

2 Likes

@JLWWSM

Agreed my favorite was also Snagglepuss. He seems like such a kind soul. I love that character so much.

1 Like

@Lecouch

Wow. Well put for number 3. Seriously they should put that on the back of the book! I’m glad you enjoyed it! Can’t wait for 2.0!

1 Like

Happy weekend folks! Time is running out to share your thoughts on this week’s book! Then we will see you in 2.0!

2 Likes

So this was my first time reading this book and I enjoyed it so much more than I would have thought. My favorite character was Huckleberry Hound, and just the tragic arc that he had. To me, if I had to seriously think about the overall theme of the book, I think I’d just say hope, with elements of redemption as well. Just a surprisingly deep book with moments of sadness and moments that made my heart warm, especially the last panel of the entire story.

1 Like

@comicbookbarbarian

So glad you connected with the story! Thanks for joining us!

I felt like this was an honest mix of both the extremes of McCarthyism of the mid-50s along with the very real horror that was going on with the escalating nuclear arms race between the United States and Russia. It’s one thing to wake up with night terrors once in awhile, quite another to have someone aiming thousands of nuclear missiles at you in reality. Fear will often drive us to do regrettable things In the heat of the very real moment when we reflect in calmer times.

The story here also showed realistically that there always is a price to be paid when someone decides to be brave and stand alone against a mob.

I grew up with these cartoon characters in the early sixties so it was great seeing them show up. At the same time I have to say this was not as entertaining and amusing as the Flintstone series we read earlier by the same writer.

I really liked the artwork and the coloring. I also appreciated the walk down memory lane. Thanks for choosing this thoughtful selection!!!

Now to Exit stage left…

2 Likes