DCU Book Club Week 51: TITANS (2008-) Issues 1-4

@MattMcDonald
Awesome, I’m curious to see what you think of this one!

@Vroom
Hi! I’m so happy you enjoyed it. Starfire’s introduction made me both shake my head and laugh. I thought to myself, yep, that’s our Starfire alright :laughing:. She’s very comfortable and confident in her own skin.

Don’t-take-mess-from-anyone-Raven was my favorite character too. I liked how she outsmarted her family.

Thanks for reading and sharing reflections and reactions!

1 Like

@JL

If only the top management at DC Comics liked things like the last page of issue #4 as much as we do. Unfortunately, they don’t think our heroes sense of family creates enough buzz.

I didn’t touch on this in my previous post, but I really liked Donna Troy’s outfit in these issues. Those red (sometimes orange in certain scenes) stars added a nice pop to her uniform.

2 Likes

@MisfitH
I don’t know what they think or don’t think, all I know is what I think.

And I think: Titans Together, Forever!!! :tada::partying_face::heart:

@Vroom Donna’s Black outfit is my favorite outfit for her, I think the colors are a nice addition to it.

1 Like

“Is this your first time reading Titans (2008-)?”

Reading it, yes, though I have seen bits of this arc before online – specifically the more pin-up-y stuff like Starfire intro being in the nude at Animal Man’s house, and then Raven’s ugly as sin Leelo-esque costume when she’s in Trigon’s dimension.

Overall, these four issues are…okay. The idea of Trigon having other kids is clever and works for the character (there’s a reason why those guys stuck around in the New 52), and the scenes outside of that struggle with the group when they’re hanging out are nice, but from the moment they start searching for the other mothers to when the sons of Trigon are defeated (I guess), it felt really forced. Winick was purposefully trying to go for the classic Wolfman/Perez feel of these characters, and it lacked a lot of the heart and appeal they had in the past.

And yeah, the art change was a big distraction too. I do wish Ian Churchill stayed on for the full arc, especially since Joe Benitez…well, his demons look amazingly freaky…well, so was everyone. Faces, heads, overall proportions, most of the characters a good chunk of the time just looked WRONG to me. Oddly enough, of the main cast, the character that I think Benitez did best was Starfire – he drew her as a classic bombshell but tweaked and exaggerated just enough that she looks alien, which, frankly, she kind of should.

“What was your favorite moment?”

I think Raven standing up to her father (awful costume aside) was a pretty cool moment, as well as how she beats them all, and the aftermath with her being comforted by Beast Boy was very sweet.

"What was the most surprising moment to you?

Not a lot of it was really surprising to me, most of the plot felt pretty standard. A little thing that’s briefly mentioned that I’m sure will be a part of future arcs of this book is that Cyborg was initially putting that team together to suss out bad seeds and thought Power Boy was a mole for something. That was pretty interesting, and while I don’t think I’ll be immediately following this up (I want to go through the complete Wolfman/Perez run first), I am curious to see where that goes.

“Who was your favorite character?”

This is a hard one to answer, because I feel like a lot of the characters here feel…not right. Like Winick was trying really hard to invoke the classic relationships and just didn’t get them right.

Beast Boy was a big example of this – like they were trying to mimic him from that run, and I like Gar in that run, but it felt too try-hard and too mean-spirited. For example, I don’t buy that he would just make light of Vic’s need of repair, and the way he joked like that about Raven’s past felt remarkably cruel, considering their past together. Raven also felt off to me – I like that when they resurrected her, they gave her a new twist by basically giving her a second chance at being a teenager again. However, the whole “mean girl” thing at the start felt really cliche and not really Raven, even at her more sarcastic self in recent years (the Raven mini-series a week or so back did this so much better).

Also, this continue to prove to me that Wally West in the Titans = a bland, overwrought dick. I hated him in Wolfman/Perez’s run, I continue to hate him here, at this point, I really don’t like any take on Wally outside of the animated series.

So i guess for favorite…I think Nightwing and Starfire are probably the closest to their regular selves. And Cyborg floating around in an impromptu Professor X chair was kinda fun.

1 Like

@JL I agree, I like Donna’s black suit the best, especially the Rebirth iteration of it.

sees Jay_Kay’s image of Starfire Woo, hey! Looky! I took a selfie of my reaction too.

TW-CA000_Rodney-Dangerfield_R_20110722190000.jpg

2 Likes

@@Jay_Kay
Hi! I honestly didn’t realize Nightwing and Starfire were under the influence of lust during their “moment”. I thought they were just being themselves :laughing:. Thanks for dropping in and reading along =)

Great selection since Titans season 2 is only a few days away. This was the first time reading Titans (2008 -). One of the most surprising moment was seeing Starfire and Nightwing express their feelings when they were still trying to find out clues on one of Trigon’s other lovers. The other surprising moment was when we saw for the first time Trigon’s other children. My favorite moments was any time we saw the whole team together and seeing Wonder Girl face off against Wonder Woman. My favorite character in this read along was probably Trigon because we saw him like we have never seen him before and that always makes for interesting character development. Thanks for keeping these read alongs going. They make me read comics that I might not ever read. Congrats to your one year anniversary next week.

2 Likes

The hooking up was themselves, I just think normally they wouldn’t do out in a house they were investigating. :joy:

2 Likes

Yea it probably was themselves but it was also the influence of the sin of lust that created the moment of passion

@Lecouch84
Thank you! We’re looking to celebrating week 52!

Nice pick on the Wonder fight! That was a standout moment for me too.

And yes, lust was absolutely responsible for the timing of their encounter.

Thanks so much for reading along and joining the discussions!

1 Like

Yep! Titans forever!

2 Likes

Influenced or not, Kori is hard to turn down. You can’t blame Nightwing.

1 Like

Mr. “I-think-of-you-when-I’m-not-alone”-Grayson :rofl: Lust was working overtime with him!

2 Likes

That was just a smooth line in general.

1 Like

some final thoughts:
I liked Garfield’s mutton chops. not that it made me think of a completely unrelated character from another universe. Also, when he held Raven’s hair while she puked.
I really liked Donna Troy not wearing the sparkle suit, but i might be influenced by the last world of wonder book club.
I didn’t like how Nightwing’s hair was drawn. or it was a weird proportion thing. Conversely, Roy’s soul patch was surprisingly pleasant.
Trigon’s sappy pride seemed out of character.

1 Like

But didn’t you all find the sudden, ridiculously low-cut nature of Donna’s new costume to be a wee dram tacky and off-putting.

1 Like

I think after seeing the outfit Raven had on in Trigon’s dimension, anything looks modest in comparison.

1 Like