DCU Book Club Week 50: AQUAMAN (2016) Issues 25-30

Greetings!

Welcome back to DCUBC, DC Universe’s very own community run book club! Thanks for stopping by!

This week we are diving into Aquaman (2016) Issues 25-30!

A new king rules Atlantis after Aquaman was stripped of his throne and killed. But rumors stir of a new breed of hero in Underworld. This is one you’re not gonna want to miss!

Spoiler discussion begins RIGHT NOW and lasts until Sunday (9/1) evening!

:ocean: Discussion Questions :ocean:

1.)Is this your first time reading Aquaman Underworld?

2.)What do you think of our setting, The Ninth Tride?

3.) What was your favorite moment?

4.) Who was your favorite character?

Also make sure you let us know what you thought of the book as a whole! We can’t wait to hear from you!

If you want to talk about all things DC and other fun stuff DCUBC is on Discord: https://discord.gg/SUs87JP

Want to catch up on our previous discussions? The DCUBC Archive can be found here: https://discord.gg/kfSNQP6

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me via email Mattcmcd@gmail.com or on Twitter @Mattmcdonald

5 Likes

We made it to 50!

1 Like

Nice, I love the Underworld arc!

2 Likes

This cover is absolutely gorgeous! Great intro to the book @MattMcDonald. I haven’t read this one, but always wanted to - I’m in!

1 Like

Nice! I do remember reading this one – I was way behind on this book at the time, but I jumped back on it purely for Stjepan Sejic’s art, who is amazing.

@JLWWSM, if you think the cover is great, wait until you see the book itself!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dzy-XfeWoAA5Yau.jpg

4 Likes

@JLWWSM

Agreed. The art in this book is BREATHTAKING. @Jay_Kay is right!

@Nathan.Payson

I know! It’s freaking nuts!

2 Likes

@vroom

Me too :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I agree about the art in this arc. I’ve never read a book drawn by Sejic (be it from DC or another publisher) that’s anything less than stunning.

4 Likes

I’ve been meaning to read Rebirth Aquaman and this is the perfect incentive for me to read it. I’m reading about 6 issues a night and can’t wait to get to 25-30 this weekend. :blush:

4 Likes

I’m still reading - just poppin’ in to say ain’t no drama like Aquaman drama! I’m enjoying this run. :joy:

1 Like

@JLWWSM

Can’t wait to hear what you think. I love the early Issues of this run as well. It’s been too long since I’ve read it!

So far, I read 1-25. I stopped reading just to post a few thoughts on 25!

25 is the best issue so far; there is so much tension I can’t wait to see how this pans out. I’m glad Vulko is back in action! The silent school - I need to learn more about this!!! Is this like an underwater Hogwarts?

Aquaman is soooo done and has had enough of everything in this panel. The art does a fantastic job of capturing his mood.

1 Like

I don’t know who this lady but I can’t wait to find out! This panel made me pause and admire every detail of the art.

1 Like

@JL That’s Dolphin. She’s pretty BA.

1 Like

She is – she also recentl y showed up in Young Justice: Outsiders, though her origin there is somewhat different.

1.) Yes

2.) The Ninth Tride had a “newness” feel for me - like a new car scent. It was a tragic place, but heroes are born out of adversity. I want to see more of Ninth Tride and its characters.

3.) All of it. This arc had all the special ingredients: the cliffhangers, everyone having their own secret agendas, Mera being the awesome spit-fire she is, Garth’s helpful role and tragic story, …

Vulko and the lady (I forgot her name at the moment)’s perilous journey to the treasury was fun, funny, and scary.

4.) This is a hard question because I really loved them all, especially Dolphin. But the Widowhood’s twist really got me. They are playing the long game, and playing for keeps!

The art was amazing. I hope this gets adapted into a movie because it really has it all. This arc reminded me of why I loved the New 52 Aquaman run (fast paced, twists and turns), yet the story was completely different from the New 52. I like that we spend so much time in Atlantis.

@MattMcDonald
I thoroughly enjoyed this and will finish the reading the available Aquaman issues in the comics section. I did myself a disservice by procrastinating to read Rebirth Aquaman, I’m glad to have corrected that mistake. Great pick!

@JLWWSM

Yay yay yay! Glad you liked it! I love this entire run but this is definently where I think it piqued.

I too would love to see this story be adapted into a film. Maybe Aquaman 3?

Seeing Dolphin on the big screen would be so so cool. And you’re right this story really has it all. It’s perfect for an adaptation.

1 Like

@Jay_Kay

I’m behind on Young Justice, but I had no clue Dolphin makes an appearance! I’ll have to catch up!

This is the first time I’ve been blown away by the art in a comic. I always notice bad art and I don’t notice good art, but I couldn’t help but be amazed about this art. (re-reading with trade)

1 Like

Hello again. This is my first time reading Aquaman Underworld. The setting of the Ninth Tride reminded me of Detroit’s eight mile because it separates two parts of the same city. Any time that you can show how a certain group of people live outside of the normal means of society than it will always make a story that more interesting and important. My favorite moment in this story was seeing Vulko and Ondine travels and seeing all of Vulko’s old ghost friends. Another surprise was seeing King Shark. My favorite character was Dolphine. She was a great help to Arthur and she was a force to be reckoned with. I hope to someday start from the beginning of Aquaman Rebirth and continue this great story. I also agree with everyone that has said the art is amazing and that the artist on this run did a excellent job. Looking forward to the next book club.

1 Like