DCU Book Club Week 42: TITANS/YOUNG JUSTICE: GRADUATION DAY Issues 1-3

@JLWWSM

That was an excellent moment! It also made me chuckle. I love the idea of Roy giving Dick such a hard time, despite his own problems. Oh Roy!

Great point about Omen. She definitely jumped the gun on that one. And you’re right they did already point out that he was in a trance. Seems silly to try to get in his mind at that time.

1 Like

@Msgtv

Not that I can recall, but I don’t remember a lot from the early 2000’s.

1 Like

@MattMcDonald Well, somebody rang in the new millennium (Newmanium?) a bit hard, eh? J/K :slight_smile:

As for Nightwing, I don’t remember him at this time as being on edge or anything. I think it’s just how Winick wrote him for this mini.

1 Like

My first book club $0.02…

1.) Is this your first time reading Titans/Young Justice: Graduation Day?
Yes.

2.) How would you compare the characters of this book to those in the Young Justice show?
it’s tough to compare the show’s characters to these characters, since the show has that Earth-16 flair that’s rather unique.

3.) What do you think about the length of this book? Was it too short?
The three issue arc seemed just right. as in baby bear porridge and all that…

4.) Do you think Young Justice is to blame for the outcome of this story?
I think both teams are to blame. On both sides there was a lot of reacting and not pro-acting. For both teams, this was one of those times where hard lessons are learned. The death of two (2) Titans only makes the lessons that much harder.

I did like Superboy’s scruffy chin.

What was Metamorpho doing there in the first place? it sticks out because it was like a cameo and they had to make it about how he smells. I am hoping to see more of him in this back half of Season 3.

That’s how I like my Victor “Cyborg” Stone to be drawn. I type his name like that with some artistic license taken…

Bringing Superman in only to be a threat is one way to liven things up.

I really liked the Donna Troy origin summary: that she is a copy of a younger Princess Diana. The living of the many lives was s’posed to be some sort of hell (or i read too fast and misread or misinterpreted something), but she finds herself living another life, which implies to me that she’s not finished.

The Troia/Nightwing scene about she and Roy playing the mentor card on him is good because it implies the history between she and he (and Roy). Which makes me think of Whelmed podcast and that I want to get back to reading the earliest Teen Titans books.

When i get back to reading The Young Justice book i started, i will have to remind myself that the Robin in that is likely to be Tim Drake and not Dick Grayson.

2 Likes
  1. Nope, read this before.

2. The often lighter, more impetuous tone of the original Young Justice comic turns darker here, with a more “realistic feel” being the goal-- in a story about killer robots. The Young Justice TV show starts out surprisingly dark, and tries to find the bright spots. And, the YJ television version often forgets its a cartoon and ages its characters realistically like a live action show. So, between the original Young Justice comic, Graduation Day, and the followup Teen Titans comics, and the Young Justice television program, we’re getting three different takes on many of the same characters,

2 Likes
  1. The length is fine, especially if the departures of the characters being written-out is meant to be abrupt-- such as Argent and Empress-- even Tempest. And Lilith-- who had not been shown as Omen for over a year-- the Omen thing had been editorially cut long since to make Raven seem more unique. Unless the rumors of trouble with the estate of Robert Kanigher are true-- technically the originator of Lilith and Wonder Girl-- though Bob Haney gave us the separate from WW Wonder Girl, and Marv Wolfman gave us Donna Troy-- Lilith’s death is tacked-in shock value, nothing more. The story is about losing Donna, and the different levels of growing up. At this point, Donna Troy’s story is so convoluted her death really is just a transition,

2. Things get a little “comic book logic” here. The Titans somehow don’t rush in to save their friend when Cyborg is attacked, but Young Justice ATTACKS too quickly-- both of these reactions serving the story of transitioning from Titans & Young Justice to Teen Titans and the Outsiders-- both of which are better books than Graduation day. Yes, Young Justice creates the problem-- but the Titans fail to solve they problem. And Nightwing’s decision to take all the young heroes who are still ambulatory after a Rogue AI that just beat the heck out of them-- to what–? Save Superman? is wonky at best. And if he suspects a Superman robot, we aren’t told, and neither is the rest of the team(s), so that’s even wonkier.

1 Like

Just finished it – overall, it’s…an okay transitional story. Like, it’s not really there to tell it’s own story but more to push characters that were kind of in a rut into a hard left, a new direction, and on that front I think it succeeded. I mean, there’s a reason why people talk about Geoff Johns’ Teen Titans, or even Judd Winnick’s Outsiders, but they don’t talk about Graduation Day.

Anyway. I answered the first question, so here are the rest:

“How would you compare the characters of this book to those in the Young Justice show?”

Some are more similar than others. Nightwing seemed fairly close in terms of the whole reluctant leader thing. Superboy was probably furthest away, and honestly, I like the Superboy of the cartoon far more than the stupid-cocky Metropolis Kid from the 90s.

“What do you think about the length of this book? Was it too short?”

Honestly, with the amount of story this had, even three issues is pushing it a tad. There’s really not a lot to this book, and for this kind of story, pushing characters into new directions, that’s honestly not a bad thing – come in, do what you need to do, get out before people can question it.

“Do you think Young Justice is to blame for the outcome of this story?”

I mean, neither team was really at their best here, especially with an “enemy” that they have no idea on.

1 Like

It’s funny, someone earlier in the thread said that a better person to blame for this is Superman because he allowed this robot prone to violence to be researched and just making these in the first place. This is actually addressed later on in Geoff Johns’ Teen Titans #6, when the Justice League confronts the new team.

This was also the moment when I read this as a kid that made me a fan of Starfire instead of just finding her mildly annoying from the cartoon.

2 Likes

@antleon

Scruffy Superboy is the best Superboy, imo. Thanks for joining us!

@Jay_Kay

Thanks for sharing that! I was wondering if that was addressed! Good stuff

2 Likes

@misfithighlander

Yep lots of “comic book logic” on display here.

Thanks for the well thought our opinions on the book!

1 Like

I really thought folks would have thought this was too short, but glad to see otherwise!

1 Like

Also, for someone who wondered why Metamorpho showed up randomly, it’s likely because he’s a team member in Winnick’s Outsiders that comes from this. The cyborg womanfrom the future also sticks around there as Indigo.

It looks like if anyone wanted to read the fallout of this story, it most directly is in Outsiders.

1 Like

I read original Outsiders (Batman and the…) back in the proverbial day. The appearence in the story just stuck out, prob’ly because he was introduced by smell from a picture and word bubbles. again, i don’t savor the panels like i should, so it was like “Boo!” and then back to it. Also, he was a favorite even though at the time i wasn’t aware of his origin.

@MattMcDonald: tyvm! I will say that the YJ show Connor is my first introduction to this kryptonian-human clone version of Superboy. I guess because of that all other versions, tactile telekinesis or no, just don’t compare.

@Jay_Kay Nicely done. I haven’t read Teen Titans in about 4 years. I just knew I didn’t read Graduation Day but remembered that it was addressed in Johns run. Guess I have some re-reading to do!

Last day to let us know what you think of this week’s selection!

1. This is my first time reading Titans/Young Justice: Graduation Day.

2. In the show, they seem much more laid back and happy. In this comic, they seem much more nervous, determined, and ready for action and Prepared for sacrifice.

3. I think they could’ve been maybe 30 or 40 pages. With a series of only 3 books, they could’ve gone into much greater detail of the character’s conflicts and the characters themselves. Nevertheless, they still did a pretty solid job with the amount of pages they got.

4. I don’t think so. As we know, the young justice are COMPLETELY new recruits and are made up of mostly teenagers. They don’t know any better. I personally think it’s the Titans’ fault of the outcome. Instead of telling the Young Justice what they’re dealing with, they went in by themselves for the most part, leaving the Young Justice to fend for themselves.

This was a really good choice for this week, especially considering the release of Young Justice: Outsiders. I’m not afraid to admit it pulled on the hearts strings a bit :’). Would definitely recommend!!!

1 Like

Not my first time reading this story. My first comics were the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans (aging myself…lol). The titans are still among my favorites. Donna’s

2.) How would you compare the characters of this book to those in the Young Justice show?

Not my first time reading this story. My first comics were the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans (aging myself…lol). The titans are still among my favorites. Donna’s

Opps posted before I was finished.

Not my first time reading this story. My first comics were the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans (aging myself…lol). The titans are still among my favorites. Donna’s death is always sad, but there are some good character moments in this story.

Superboy in this comic is different from Superboy in theYoung Justice tv show. I like him better in the Young Justice show. I haven’t read Geoff Johns’ Teen Titans yet. Might change my mind after reading it One of the many reasons to start reading that run. I agree with other posters that Nightwing seems a little harsh. Reluctant like the TV show, but harsh.

As many other have said, it is a transition book…so not too short.

No, I don’t think they are to blame. The android could have ended up at star labs and activated the android superman regardless of what happened prior to that event. His appearance could have resulted in both teams fighting him and the same result.

1 Like