DCU Book Club Week 39: INJUSTICE 2 (2017-) Issues 1-10

Ollie and Dinah are awesome but how about this Harley? I love her in nutso hero mode.

1 Like

Finished, now will have to go back to Injustice year 5, where I was in the series a few years ago. Man, Ted can’t catch a break in any universe. At least this time Booster was there for him.

3 Likes

Conner’s reaction to his parents getting married is adorable.

Injustice-2-2017-4-conner-says-ew-to-parents-getting-married-cro.png

2 Likes

Okay, picture this: I’m sitting here in bed, reading the forums here, see the thread for this again and thinking, “Man I haven’t even started that yet! I’ll just read the first issue of it, then I’ll go to bed.” An hour and a half and ten issues later, I’m sitting here thinking “…Damn, this is a book you can BINGE.” :joy:

“When did you first play Injustice or read an Injustice comic?”

I bought it used when the ultimate edition came out. It’s pretty good for a fighting game, but I’m not very into fighting games. I have watched a walkthrough of the storyline in Injustice 2.

I haven’t read any of the comics before this. It’s been on my radar, since images of it are super-popular in places like Reddit, but it’s always been on the back-burner. The downside of doing this for the bookclub is now I’m going to have to hold off on reading the rest and read the…100+ issues beforehand.

“Who was your favorite character in issues 1-10?”

I mean, all the characters here are pretty great, but…Harley. Harley. Harley. As much as I liked what I’ve read of Palmiotti/Connor and Humphres’ takes on Harley, Tom Taylor writes the best anti-hero Harley by far. If I were the editor of the Batman line I’d put him on the regular Harley book in a heartbeat.

“What were the most memorable moments to you?”

You mean outside of “Damn, they killed him/her?” I think I would go with Damian’s gauntlet. From what I’ve seen, the comics/games did my boy Damian dirty in terms of characterization (though nowhere near as bad as Wonder Woman, holy CRAP), but that was a great moment for him, and in parallel for Bruce as well.

Speaking of which, whatever her name is spelled, the “Daughter of the Bat?” YeabutWUT?

2 Likes

So I’ve already fielded the first 2 questions so I’ll share my favorite moment. And of course it’s going to be the way this book opens. The confrontation between Batman and an imprisoned Superman. It was so tense. “You’re just a kid trying to stop 2 bullets.” Oh my god :pleading_face:

3 Likes

@msgtv
@Jay_Kay
Harley was amazing in this. I liked her from the start in issue 1 (attached). She’s still her fun-loving self and she is a force to be reckoned with through the issues!

2 Likes

@MattMcDonald
I was wondering if someone was going to mention that gut-punch moment! I literally said “ouch” out loud when I read it.

I loved the Superman escape contingency plan with the Atom in Supes’s brain with a shard of Kryptonite. Excellent plan!

Injustice-2-2017-ouch.png

1 Like

We will wrap up our discussion on Injustice 2 Issues 1-10 tonight! Be sure to share your thoughts/comments today

Looking forward to spending the rest of the afternoon and evening diving into this.

love the Injustice world

I mean I hate the Injustice world

I mean wow what a crazy world

1 Like

Injustice 2 (2016) 1-10

Mini comics, yummy!! I assume these were written first exclusively for the web, and maybe published later on paper?

Tom Taylor is in my opinion one of the better wordsmiths for comics out there. He has a fine mix of humor with realistic violence when writing about morally-ambiguous characters and situations. I enjoyed his All New Wolverine run featuring X-23, the female Wolverine with the son of Wolverine etc in the mix. (another writer I find very very similar and entertaining to follow is Dennis Hopeless).

I’ve enjoyed reading bits and pieces of Injustice by taking it out in hardcover format from my local libraries. I have never played the game (my mad gaming skills stop at Atari 2600, Pong, Space Invaders etc).

Favorite characters in the first 10 bite sized issues? The real Batman and Harley. The others in this series haven’t had time to percolate yet (and everyone else I would normally care about is D E A D dead).

The most memorable moments working backwards were: Ted Kord and BoosterGold, the goodbye kiss on the forehead; the appearance of a new Batman (I was a big fan of Battle for the Cowl); the scene where Damian meets his sister- that is full of nice mystery for later, including “why does she have a bat theme going on over her eyes?”; and the scene with Atom being ghohlish in Superman’s head.

I do plan to read all of Injustice someday: so far I’ve probably read the equivalent of maybe 30 or so issues, but wow there’s lots lots more!!! Maybe in two years I’ll start a club for that…

Rating 9.9999999 of 10. A perfect “what if” story!!!

2 Likes

@Don-El
Yay Atari!!! =)

I laughed at “D E A D dead” - because when you spell out D E A D you know we’re talkin’ extra dead. Like, there is no chance for reboots!

I liked the bite sized issues for this. I thought it helped keep the action kept going.

1 Like

Issue 8 was one of the MOST ENJOYABLE issues I’ve ever read. It had a fun vibe to it.

“Mister Batman” - that’s so cute
Batman needs a coffee mug that says World’s Best Moper

1 Like

That was a great moment, followed up by a…kinda creepy moment of Bruce injecting Connor with the invulnerability serum. I’m not sure how I feel about that one. On one hand, he’s legitimately doing that to protect Ollie and Dinah’s child – on the other, he’s injecting this serum into their child without their consent or even knowledge! Not to mention that while it’s worked with the Resistance to protect them while they were fighting Superman’s regime, I don’t think we’ve seen them inject it into any children – could their be side effects?

1 Like

The without their consent or knowledge part creeped me out too.

I thought that was like a homing chip

No, this I do remember from the game and the bits of the comic I have read. They basically use this to explain why in the comics and of course in game why characters like Batman and Harley Quinn could be on an even playing field with the likes of Superman and Wonder Woman. Like a moment in the first series that’s shown around on Reddit fairly often is a sequence where Alfred uses it to trade blows with Superman.

Superman-VS-Alfred-Injustice-Gods-Among-Us-36.jpg

Wow!

Great discussion! Thanks everyone for joining in!

Tomorrow, DCUBC-Girl Power! returns

2 Likes

Thanks for the great selection – definitely helped me get the kick in the butt I needed to go through the first series. Looking forward to the next selection! :slight_smile:

3 Likes