DCU Book Club Week 34: CAVE CARSON HAS A CYBERNETIC EYE (2016) Issues 1-6

Just finished the issues and will write up my answers to the questions after I have let this series absorb a little better. If I tried answering now, it would all be what did I just read?

These issues were amazing. Very engaging! I’m going to keep reading unless the next arc is coming to the book club soon.

1.) Which DC Character would you most likely have a chance encounter with?
I’ve been thinking about the answer to this question for a long time, and I can’t think of anyone. I don’t think I frequent places that DC Characters tend to be. Although, if Metropolis was real, I would surely take a trip there to see the Daily Planet, and hopeful I’ll encounter Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, or Clark Kent - maybe I’ll pass by them in the revolving doors. I’d tell that story for the rest of my life!

2.) Cave decides to keep his daughter in the dark about her mother’s origins, why do you think he did this? Was it the right thing to do?
I think he’s trying to protect her, but sometimes the truth is the best protection, even when it’s difficult to face or bad news.

3.) We get to meet a lot of interesting characters, which one was your favorite and why?
Cave Carson’s eye, because it has a mind of its own. Throughout the story he would have visions and then the eye just decided to take a stroll! haha.

4.) Lastly, what do you think was the funniest moment/line?
I attached the funniest moment for me. Wild Dog was fun throughout the story.

I wondered if these beings know the other underground beings in DC Lore (I’m forgetting their names at the moment, but Superman encountered underground beings in the New 52, and Terra is from an underground species as well).

Overall, this story was a fresh take, and I liked it! Thanks @MattMcDonald!

@princessamethyst

Looking forward to hearing what you think!

@JLWWSM

I’m the same! I don’t think a superhero would come this down south for me to run in to! Thanks for reading! I’m glad you liked it!

1 Like

Discussion ends tomorrow night! Make sure you drop by and let us know what you think!

1. I’m pretty sure it would probably be a gothamite since it’s technically in NJ. Probably end up running into one of Batman’s villains.
  2. Cave and his wife were trying to protect their daughter. I’m sure they had intentions of telling her when she was old enough/ready to learn the truth.
  3. I’m going with Wild Dog. I only remember having the DC comics cards when I was younger and being like who in the world is Wild Dog. He became a little more noticed during Arrow. He brought some fun jokes. I don’t really know much about him so it was cool to see that he is tight with Cave Carson.
  4. I think a memorable moment was when Cave was like this is a job for…Superman. The phone number you are trying to reach is no longer in service. Cave then curse as he smashes his phone! Must of been the Superman who died before the older Superman appeared.
1 Like

Overall I really enjoyed it, even though I was cursing for leaving us on a cliffhanger like that! I enjoyed the main characters quite a bit, and the art really fit the style of the book, even though I found it a bit difficult to follow the action sometimes.

Onto the questions!

Honestly, I don’t know, not much happens in the DCU around where I live – which is probably a good thing, because that means we wouldn’t get as many supervillain issues outside of the big worldwide ones.

2.) Cave decides to keep his daughter in the dark about her mother’s origins, why do you think he did this? Was it the right thing to do?
I think to a certain extent it’s understandable that Cave (and Marza, let’s not forget that she agreed to it as well) wouldn’t mention it to Chloe during her childhood. Considering that Marza is in exile for marrying Cave, and thus Chloe could never meet her extended family or really experience her other culture, it’s understandable that they decided to just let her be a surface girl. And if they told Chloe while she was growing up, would it have affected her, made her feel isolated knowing that she’s not strictly human like everyone else? Who knew that the past would literally snatch her up like that? I think this is one of those things where as a parent, there is really no right answer, you just make a choice and hope for the best.

3.) We get to meet a lot of interesting characters, which one was your favorite and why?
I’d probably go with Wild Dog, because both of the deep cut to use him, and because he feels so different from the crew, and yet still feels like it works.

Maybe it’s because it was near the end and thus fresher in my mind, but the idea that Wild Dog and Cave have to basically drink the underground equivalent to magic mushrooms just to keep their sanity when facing an elder god was pretty funny for me.

2 Likes

Here’s something – what did you guys think of the “Super Powers” back-up by Tom Scioli? I remember seeing his work on a webcomic he did a while back, really enjoy his art-work – very reminiscent of Jack Kirby, while still feeling like it’s own thing. The way these characters were reinterpreted were also really interesting, like the Wonder Twins coming from a strange Victorian-style world to “Green” Arrow smoking weed grown from an island that’s really a sleeping Starro the Conqueror was pretty cool.

@hotstuff

That’s exactly my choice for funniest moment. That part has me in hysterics every time I read it. I love the way Chloe tries to make him feel better “Dad it’s been a long time” :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Finally read it!

I’m so impressed, I had low expectations because I didnt like most of Young Animal, but I liked cave Carson a lot. It’s weird, but has heart!

1 Like

Whichever one accidentally crashed into my house? I am a homebody outside of going into work, so my chances are limited of meeting any of them and is there any that live in the Midwest anyways? I don’t think so. This is probably for the best anyways considering I imagine my insurance would be through the roof if I even remotely lived in a city or area that I would have a chance encounter with a superhero.

I felt that this was largely done because the mother wanted it. I think in a family unit, especially parents, have to listen to the other parental unit as well. It seemed throughout the issues that the mom did not want to let others know about her origin, so as a good husband Cave respected her wishes. After her death, I don’t think it was his place still to reveal her secrets. Those were her origins to tell, so Cave did what he felt was right in his marriage.

This was one time I don’t feel that I had a favorite. Each character brought their own unique element to the overall narrative and feel of the story. The daughter showcased the youth element wonderfully and that family unit aspect that they seemed to be going for. Cave brought the weirdness, but the history of the former series. Wild Dog brought the crazy that was needed for the story. The villains were weird, which fit in. Heck, it can be even argued that the eye was its own unique character. This is the first book where I feel that if you took out any singular character the entire thing would have been a trainwreck, but together it worked.

For me, it was when the daughter said the line about dying and going to heaven when she finally saw some survivors, but she was really feeling the thirst. I would also say the cell phone moment with Cave and trying to call Superman was a very close second. Both moments made me chuckle out loud.

3 Likes

@Jay_Kay

I like your answer to number 2. I’m really torn on the whole situation which is why I decided to ask the group that question.

On one hand lying to your child is not good. But on the other hand if it weren’t for this series of events she would have never needed to know her/her mother’s origin. It would only bring pain being cast out like that.

@Princesamethyst

The thirst was real. I agree about your point about the characters. Each character serves a purpose. I love the way Wild Dog plays off the rest of the characters, for example. On his own I don’t think he would be nearly as funny.

CAVE CARSON HAS A CYBERNETIC EYE #1

I actually own this, but it’s been a while since I read it. I was able to relax and enjoy the ride on this one because I could see the great respect Mr. Way and Mr. Rivera
have for these characters. He isn’t reinventing the wheel or “deconstructing” Cave Carson; instead he’s opening the lid on a corner of the DC Universe that we rarely get to visit.

The technique of using Carson’s wife passing to start this story is unique but compelling. I loved having the cameo by the Metal Men and Dr. Magus.

Metal.jpg

Concerning the Tom Scioli back feature, what a treat! I had forgotten this was here. I follow Tom’s work with his nutso Transformers vs GI Joe, Gobots, Godland etc, He’s Jack Kirby’s spiritual long-lost son.

Nathan P., Tom’s writing style reminds me a lot of your fiction here, you can almost hear him shouting the dialogue, kind of like Wagnerian opera. Highly entertaining, and deliberately over the top.

But…Nu52, Tom’s inventive way of blending various DC continuities into a new thing reminded me of your current serial here!

CAVE CARSON HAS A CYBERNETIC EYE # 2

I’m kind of torn between the two storylines per issue, lol. Both are wonderfully over the top, issue 2 for Cave Carson just explodes off the page from the pedestrian “clock in to work everyday” feel of the first issue of “Cave Carson: regular employee of tunneling company.” In some ways this is like every TV action movie we’ve ever seen: just beneath the surface of seeming normalacy are dark conspiracies intertwined with madly devoted cult members.

Meanwhile, Tom S has the Sea Devils of the ‘60s mixed in with Shazam (that just happens to have the rock of eternity in a cave deep in the ocean depths), with Miracle Man…on and on the mad fun mashup goes, even the Wonder Twins and Gleek!

CAVE CARSON HAS A CYBERNETIC EYE # 3

Still torn between the two stories, and worse they have a matching “out there”’ energy where the narrative kind of laughs at itself, is depreciating of itself at times, which is in itself almost 4th wall and entertaining.

Nice how his daughter really was paying attention as Cave and his wife trained her and brought her up in this underground world. She’s super sharp: if she was my daughter, I would have been super proud of her!!

The way she immediately reconciles with her day like in minutes again reminds me of the jumpy storyline of Tom S in the other feature. These two storylines were separated at birth it seems…

tom S’s tribute to Kirby’s 70’s O.M.A.C. with the attached image is hysterical…'no worries, Mr. Superman editor. We’re just going to borrow Superman for this back feature and feature him as separate body parts in a suitcase."

@don, I hadn’t thought about that…

2 Likes

CAVE CARSON HAS A CYBERNETIC EYE # 4

I’m going to have to stop here tonight, one of those crazy Sundays:

This continues to be a wild romp, the deeper they go into the earth the neater and cooler the concepts. I’m kind of sad to see all this high level carnage of the underground civilization, I would have liked to have encountered all this under a less tramautic situation…

As well, Tom’s epic knows no sane boundaries, now we are in the Garden of Eden. Sure, Tom, why not tie in cherished Biblical references along with the rest of the DC kitchen sink items you are assembling here…