DCU Book Club Week 33: CYBORG Rebirth 1 and 1-4

Great discussion everyone! We will wrap up our discussion of Cyborg tonight. Be sure to share any responses/reactions to the reading.

1 Like

@Jay_Kay

That’s a great point about it being Bronze Age style writing wise. I didn’t think about it like that! Thanks for pointing that out!

1 Like

First time reading any cyborg book and i quite enjoyed it. I’m a bit confused as to why sarah is keeping the secret that we learn about at the end of issue #4. Why not just let vic know who she is?

Hello! Thanks for joining and sharing your thoughts. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed it.

In Issue 4, I’m guessing Sarah is the figure in the attached photo. It is Vic who is not revealing the love of his life to himself. And Sarah is doing the same thing by continuing to keep the secret. IMO, they are both hiding their relationship from Vic. Maybe there was trouble in their past relationship. I’m curious to see how it pans out in the rest of the series.

1 Like

sorry, I meant to add @u_no_hoo on my previous note

Is this saloon still open? Good, let me get cracking on this week’s homework assignment!!!

1 Like

Yep! Still open, Cyborg shuts down around 10pm PDT tonight=)

1. Is this your first time reading Cyborg Rebirth? Correct. Frankly as a reader who enjoyed Cyborg in the 1980s Titans Wolfman / Perez run, it’s taken me some time to warm up to the “new” Cyborg of New 52 / Rebirth.

2. What was the most memorable or surprising story twist to you?
    The twist of Cyborg’s dad being switcheroo-ed was cool!
    The use of the Mother Box with Cyborg as part of his origin was also used in Young Justice Outsiders animated…but not with the Cyborg I read about in the 80’s. I’m still thinking about which version I prefer.
    Also, way more of his body is robot that the Cyborg of the 1980s, that was a surprise to me as well, and a little unsettling. They address this a bit with his sudden ability to make his body look human again.

3. What do you think of Sarah? Did your view of Sarah change by the end of the story?
    My view didn’t really change, but the tragedy that she is the long lost love that he can’t access in his memory any more was a heart tugger for sure.

4. Who would you like to see team up with Cyborg in a story arc?
    Well of course now we all love seeing Cyborg and Robotman / Cliff of Doom Patrol.

The other possible team up that could be fun would be Cyborg with his original Titans pals for an adventure.

I really enjoyed Cyborg with Starfire in the G Johns Teen Titans run that we read as a group several weeks ago from the early 2000’s (and has been running in the Teen Titans Walmart Giants).

The last one I really really would be thrilled with to read would be Cyborg teamed up with the Metal Men.

Cyborg Rebirth: Intriguing ending with Cyborg’s dad asking the great question: can a machine intelligence have a soul? I would add: What is a soul? Does simple self-awareness make a soul? Is the ability to create music (including improvisational music, which I participate in) , have language, somehow tied in with this “soul” concept as well?

Cyborg 1: sweet exploration of what it means to be human, have a soul. The capture of the bandits was way beneath Cyborg’s abilities as a JLAer, and took way way too many panels, IMO.

Cyborg 2: I love the idea of “discarded robot machines” coming back to exact their revenge. This is very much reminding me of some other storyline elsewhere, maybe it will come back to me in a bit…wait, Professor Morrow??? Uh, in another continuity this guy is bad news…hmmmmm

Cyborg 3: Whoa, who changed artists on us, that was jarring. Sarah doesn’t look like Sarah anymore etc. Ah well…and a dream sequence…my nemesis at DCU (Titans TV, Doom Patrol etc…) so this didn’t really happen, it’s a fever dream. Greaaaaat…

Cyborg 4: Yowwww, another artist change. Hard to understand why this comes up from one issue to the next. I get it when it’s like after 5 or 10 issues…

Rating (1-10): 8 Some fun big ideas here, but way too much “dream sequence with no real plot significance” stuff going on. I’m a fan of the original Deathlok over at the “competition” from back in the early ‘70s which had a similar idea, but the idea of a separate computer program communicating with the human side of the Cyborg was more pronounced.

2 Likes

@Don-El Nice job on your assignment! Just wanted to let you know I removed a couple duplicate comments for you.

2 Likes

Wish I knew why that happens. Thanks Beast Boy

@Don-El
I am loving the Cyborg-Robotman dynamic on Doom Patrol. Thanks for calling that out! I’d love to see him with the metal men too.

The exploration of what it means to be human was my favorite part of the story, especially the Jazz scene. I agree with Blue that improvision is part of the human spirit.

I never trusted he was actually fighting Supes, but once they landed on Mars, I knew for sure the dream sequence was a dream. That part felt a little long for me too.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on this week’s reading and the discussion questions. As always, it is a pleasure to hear your thoughts, reflections and opinions on the reading. On Monday, @MattMcDonald returns to host week 34 :tada:!!!

Welcome back @MattMcDonald =)

3 Likes

On Cyborg meeting Robotman and the Metal Men…that has happened in the comics in different periods. Cyborg and Robotman worked together along with the Teen Titans and the Doom Patrol during the Wolfman/Perez run in #13-15 (or 16, I could be wrong), and Cyborg leads the Metal Men in the Justice League tie-in for Forever Evil.

4 Likes

Thx Jay_Kay, I’ll see if they are here!

1 Like