DCU Book Club Week 3: Nightwing (1996) Issues 1-6

Yep, already up to issue #4.

2 Likes

Also itā€™s been brought to my attention that the arc doesnā€™t end until issue eight. This is true and I am dumb. Please read issues 1-8 of Nightwing 1996 and I promise you this will absolutely happen again because Iā€™m a dummy.

:heart:

1 Like

The art is a little jarring for the modern reader, but we are lucky to have so much internal reflection and a really cool solo story. Thatā€™s something they succeeded in with Rebirth for Dick, too. All in all I really liked this run.

Iā€™m finding it kind of rough on the edges, but I will plow through and hopefully be happy by the end. Long live the DCU book club hoorah

4 Likes

Thank goodness for auto play on Roku I got through issue 2

1 Like

I kind of flew through it

1 Like

I knew we set a high bar with the last couple arcs we read. I do however like the character ā€œDick Grayson,ā€ and this is the same character that ā€œTitansā€ will portray, earlier on in his war on crime.

Read the 1st issue itā€™s a good lead in for a good arc. Always wanted to know when And how Nightwing lost the ponytail. Got my answer.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty much halfway through thanks for the marvelous Roku autoplay, applause applause DC. I tried recording what was happening with my phone, Iā€™d love to post on YouTube ! How very cool this autoplay is, where I can even take a fairly plot-driven, zero character development comic series like this and really make it kind of fun to watch / read.

1 Like

Overall I like Chuck Dixonā€™s work , big fan of Alien Legion also the cross-gen Way of the Rat and the whole No Manā€™s Land run of Batman.

1 Like

So excited!

Oh and Chuck Dixonā€™s Winterworld is just incredible

Just read issue 1. So far not digging the art, it could grow on me, but really enjoy the story.

I started reading this right after it was nominated as a choice on sunday and I couldnā€™t stopā€¦ done and done

PS can someone please explain to me what discord is, iā€™ve never heard of it

2 Likes

Discord is a community application used by PC gamers. Nathan Payson has set up a room for us actually several rooms and itā€™s just a way to kind of chat with a smaller group of people you can share links easily, and you can have one-on-one conversations.

Awesome and the new teen titans is a must read to

1 Like

The artist for this Nightwing series we re reading really has good art later like if you look at his stuff from five years ago . he also did some writing that was pretty good for Batman is my recollection ā€¦

am I confusing people though?

Not me. However art on this is still difficult for me to slog through and it definitely has an effect on my enjoyment of the overall story, especially given that Dixon isnā€™t my favorite writer in the world to begin with. Yes, he did a lot of work with the Bat characters and, yes, he gets a lot of praise from people for it but Iā€™ve just never been a big fan of his work. shrug Iā€™ll try to get this read but the fact that Iā€™ve only gotten through a few pages isnā€™t making my hopeful at all. Last week selection Iā€™d already finished reading by this time as well as the week beforeā€™s selection but this one is proving troublesome.

1 Like

I agree, McDanielā€™s art does get better after a while, especially when he went on to do Ed Brubakerā€™s run on Batman. I donā€™t recall him writing for Batman, but he was sort-of the writer of the New 52 Static Shock. Sort of because, well, from what I understand the editorial process of that book was a big bleeding mess.

1 Like

Yeah I strongly advise use the auto play on either the PC version of the Roku version to get through these Nightwingā€™s