DCU Book Club Week 28: THE MULTIVERSITY (2014): THUNDERWORLD ADVENTURES #1, GUIDEBOOK #1, and MASTERMEN #1

I really enjoyed Thunderworld. It had a fun, youthful, lightheartedness to it. My favorite moment was the fight scene with the entire family.

The villain was fun too. Sivanaday!!!

@JLWWSM

It’s so absurd i love it. What a wacky evil plan.

1 Like

How about that Guidebook, huh?!?!

I want to know what moment stood out to you!

Also we saw a bunch of DC’s Multiverses. Which one are you most interested in exploring in a separate book. What creative team would you want to see write and draw said book?

1 Like

I would’ve loved to get a few more issues of the Mastermen fighting the Freedom Fighters

1 Like

Mastermen: simply put…virtuoso storytelling. Just love this one to pieces.

1 Like

Saw you guys on DC Daily and you do a great job

2 Likes

@Vroom

Mastermen is hands down my second favorite of the bunch. It’s sooo good.

Discussion ends tomorrow night! Make sure you let us know what you thought of these 3 issues! Also if you haven’t let us know what you thought of Mastermen!

I loved the Thunderworld issue! I am very new to comics but one of the first comics I ever picked up was Action Comics #1 from the new 52 with Grant Morrison and his style of writing but also ideas are so crazy and mind bending its a joy to experience!

1 Like

@Darthmagnus

Morrison’s Action Comics #1 is so good. I never finished the run for some reason. But that first issue is really good. Glad you liked Thunderworld! Thanks for dropping by!

1 Like

@MattMcDonald
I think it is worth going back to. Some of the ideas in his run of Action Comics are present here too. I don’t know his work very well but it seems like he really likes playing with concepts of time, space, and parallel universes which is very evident here.

I also think there is some interesting commentary he injects in regards to the whole concept of the Multiverse which i saw in The Multiversity: Guidebook. I might be reading too much into it but I feel like there was a sense with the new 52 of having things be streamlined and I get the feeling that Grant is pushing back on that and making his case for why allowing for Multiverses is important to comic books and comic book writers

Thunderworld Adventures #1

For some reason, this of all the Multiversity books I recalled from my previous reading a few years ago! A fun romp, definitely in the spirit of the original Captain Marvel comics of yesteryear! The plot made perfect sense, didn’t feel “deus ex machina” at all. Of course Dr. Sivana would cheat himself, what a hilarious and satisfying ending!! Even the art reflected the “cartoony” feel of the original Captain Marvel.

Guidebook #1:
Awwww…such fun to see the “L’il League” in action. Sad to see them rise as Zombies, but hey…bright ending maybe later…

The art for the Kamandi scenes was epic, and having him hanging out with O.M.A.C the one man army corps was way cool! I totally bought into the talking tiger friend.

Again, seeing this all laid out so neatly brings a tear to my continuity-eye as I realize: what is mapped out here just doesn’t exist at DC now. Poof, gone…please, someone prove me wrong, because I kinda liked how Grant M constructed this and tied in the original '86 crisis with all the others, the Flashes even the very first “crossover” between worlds.

Mastermen #1

Of course, once again, the Amazon series “The Man in the High Castle” again comes to mind. Once again, the generations appearing later after Nazi Germany is victorious deal with the moral logic of the consequences of their exterminations of other beings of equal value to them. It’s one thing to convince an entire country to do vicious and murderous actions for a few years even, as we have seen many other instances of across the world since WWII, but another thing entirely to keep that rage and group insanity going for decades. Eventually it seems people wake up and realize their error, at least that’s the suggestion of these various tales.

It was deeply disturbing to see a Dr. Sivana providing the Freedom Fighters what they needed to topple Mastermen Superman and his government. Like, would this Superman have teamed up with the others to fight the Gentry?

RI

I enjoyed reading Mastermen again as a refresher for Freedom Fighters and realized that Overman is surprisingly sympathetic!

1 Like

5/5 Incredible comic with surprising heart and world building. The freedom fighters seem like terrorist

QUESTION OF THE WEEK: Which one has had the biggest impact on you? I still can’t get the image of Bizarro Superboy out of my head from The Just. Seeing a hero become physically ill is never easy.

• Guidebook
    I was captivated by the story of the multiverse. I felt like I was sitting around a campfire and listening to an epic tale. As map-lover, I was delighted to see the map of the Multiverse! Then there was an entire encyclopedia of ALL of the earths! Yay!

• Mastermen
    Overman (Superman), in a loveless relationship and raised to be a champion of the Nazis breaks my heart.

My favorite character so far is Kamandi. My favorite issue so far is the Guidebook. I’m looking forward to seeing how the story comes together in the final issues. :slight_smile:

1 Like

oo oo the rating, right, right:
Thunderworld Adventures #1 9.5 out of 10, a perfect tribute issue.

Guidebook: 9.5 out of 10, mind blowing concepts, beautiful Kamandi world / Tiger drawings and the master class on how to do world building for fiction

Mastermen #1 9.0 out of 10, great concept and meditation on how evil eventually topples under its own guilt and weight, but wish it had looked more at the younger Nazi Superman.

Biggest impact: the L’il Batman’s courage.

I wonder if the Gentry absorbed all of the Mods?