DCU Book Club Week 24: SUPER SONS (2017) Issues 1-5

@ravvenlord

This is the book that made me love Damian. He’s my favorite grumpy boy.

1 Like

Jon’s a great addition to the supermythos. Not a fan of what Bendis did to him though.

I hope that the “Super Sons” story continues into their adulthood one way or another. I’d really savor the chance to see their impact on the Justice League. Maybe even witness it’s transition into the Justice League Unlimited that we encounter in Batman Beyond!

Thankyou Matt for picking Supersons as book club as a week. As I’m reading the book, I’m learning alot more about the two young heroes. I think they make a great team even if they’re arguing about every second! :smile:

1 Like

I love Damian when he’s being an aggressive ****, but I’ll agree that seeing him here a bit more smoothed around the edges was nice too.

Just about done with #5.

2 Likes

@Reaganfan

I Agree! They work well together. I really love their dynamic!

1 Like

@Countmacdaft

I think at this point it would have to be out of continuity, but i agree! I would love to see a grown up Super Sons!

1 Like

@Cyborgsuperman

Gonna try to avoid spoilers for trade waiters. But yeah also not a fan of the new direction of Jon. With that being said I’m still willing to give Bendis a few more issues to sell me on the idea.

@Vroom

I love seeing that grumpy boy have friends! Excited to hear what you think in the spoiler discussion!

@MattMcDonald It sounds like a congrats is in order to you for your super son!

As far as the book, I really enjoy the dynamic between Jon and Damian. For instance, the one who could destroy the world isn’t arrogant and the one with no super powers is full of himself. It plays out well in these mini-Supes/Bats characters.

@batmite

Thanks so much!:slight_smile: I agree! It’s a fun dynamic!!

1 Like

Spoiler discussion begins tomorrow at 5PM EST! I’m finalizing some discussion questions as we speak! Looking forward to it!

1 Like

I just finished the 4th issue, I may have to read more after the 5th issue, you guys really got me into the series! Thankyou! :smiley:

The current Tomasi/Barberi Adventures of the Super-Sons Maxi-Series that follows this is even better😉

Superboy has always been my favorite. The 90s leather jacket superboy at the top. I didn’t like John at first but after reading the current supersons he has grown on me. Superboy prime and then Conner behind that.

Bendis ruined John by aging him up. And now we don’t get to continue the current run of supersons because of him.

Boooooo

3 Likes

Haven’t been able to participate in the Book Club so far. But been wanting to check out Super Sons so might have to jump on boards. Almost done with Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. so will need something new to read.

1 Like

@Dantheman

No worries! Hopefully you can swing by in the future!

Spoiler discussion is live!! What did you think of this week’s book?

I’ll be posting discussion questions throughout the weekend broken up by Issues. For those interested!

2 Likes

Issue 1:

The Super Sons have arrived! In our kickoff issue we are introduced to our titular heroes, the Supersons!

We are also treated to our first glimpse of this book’s first baddie, Kid Amazo.

A lot of good stuff in this issue, but I want to focus on this: what was Damien’s motivation for including Jon in his late night heroics? Surely he could complete the mission without him.

“Hope you remembered to floss, Jonny boy.”

2 Likes

I thought Kid Amazo was a interesting villain, getting his family to do what he wants and gets his way. But what I really want to talk about is Damien and Jon! I love those characters, always arguing, before reading this, I was not a fan of them, and after reading all five issues I wanted to read more, they are the Odd Couples! Can you imagine Oscar and Felix in their teenage years working together? Damien is pretty much is Oscar while Jon is Felix. I like how in issue 5 they get in trouble, blame each other and say they are not friends, in the end they are! I cant wait to read more of their Adventures, Thankyou again Matt for picking Supersons as a BOOK CLUB of a week! :smiley:

2 Likes