DCU Book Club Week 18: Suicide Squad Most Wanted: Deadshot and Katana (2016) Issues 1-6

Technically this came out just before Rebirth, but the point remains, good to see more modern content.

So I read both stories. Iā€™ll be a gentleman and go ladies first.

Katana is an interesting one, because it feels like Mike Barr, the creator of her and the rest of the Outsiders, wanted to do a new version of the team but was forced to fit in the Suicide Squad and to fit her more into her movie version. So you have Prince Bryon and the sudden use of Halo, who in the original book Katana took in like a foster child. The problem is that much like those old Batman & the Outsiders stories, while the main characters are decent, the villains leave much to be desired. Kobra was just blah, and the stuff with Halo was rushed too much to really do anything. Thereā€™s also some stilted dialogue ā€“ I donā€™t know why Barr thought having our lead introduce herself as ā€œMy name is that of my blade, Katanaā€ was cool, but I wanted it to stop.

Still, it was a decent story, and I wouldnā€™t have minded seeing more of Katana, Halo and their smelly cat in maybe some more grounded adventures. As for the art, it was also decent. It kind of feels like standard comic book superhero style, but it does it well. Diogenes Neves isnā€™t exactly an artist I would pick a comic up for just his art, but if I see heā€™s doing art duties, I know itā€™ll be at least decent.

2 Likes

Deadshot was without a doubt the best story of the series. Slower, more character focused and much more compelling. I liked how they played with Floydā€™s origins. Iā€™m not sure if this is his classic origin, but I liked that they didnā€™t make the New 52 origin invalid. Evans was a really interesting character and great foil for Floyd. There was also great moments with Amanda Waller and surprisingly Harley Quinn channeling her psychologist background.

The art by Viktor Bogdanovic was just spectacular ā€“ he reminds me a lot of a cartoonier Greg Capullo.

4 Likes

2 books this week. Had a blast with both of them

Katana was a super fun take on the character and a great back to basics approach. It felt a lot like a origin story. I agree with @Jay_Kay, about the villain in particular. Very 2 dimensional. With is a shame because Kobra in general is very cool. My biggest issue though is that the Suicide Squad felt very forced into the book. I wouldā€™ve rather they just kept it to Katana.

Those are my only real gripes with the book. Some of the pages were just amazing. Iā€™ll share a specific one below. The action was fast and fun. The art, while familiar looked really good.

This book didnā€™t blow me away, but I had a really good time with it.

1 Like

Book number 2 all about Deadshot was the stand out for me.

@Jay_Kay took the words out of my mouth. Boy oh boy does the art look just like Greg Capullo. It looks so much like his art that I assumed it was him until I noticed Viktor Bogdanovic was the credited artist. Itā€™s really good.

Script was great as well. It was really great seeing Deadshot confront his past in this book. Kinda wish we had a Deadshot ongoing now. Really enjoyed the final issue (even though it felt a bit rushed)

Once again though the inclusion of the entire Suicide Squad felt forced. I would have rather had those panels flesh out our antagonist (who was great by the way)

It was a great book and probably my favorite book regarding the Suicide Squad. If you didnā€™t join us this week and are playing catch up this is the one to read.

Sorry for the scattered thoughts Iā€™m at work so trying to be quick. Iā€™ll be in all weekend though to discuss!

2 Likes

@Jay_Kay

I thought it was interesting that Floyd was using Evanā€™s backstory. A very interesting motivation for a villain to have.

In regards to Katana she really did sound like a broken record ā€œI am the name of my bladeā€

2 Likes

Bubble

Bobble

1 Like

Iā€™m new here.

What is the first day you announce each weekā€™s books?

2 Likes

@hashtag-goodtobejoe

Books are announced Mondays at 12 PM EST via the weekly book club post. Hope to see you in next weekā€™s discussion, if you have any questions let me know!

2 Likes

I thought both stories were compelling and interesting. I liked the consistent pacing. It didnā€™t feel long to me; I was captivated the whole time.

Notable cool moments:

1. Katana summoning and commanding the souls in her blade. She mentioned the blade has other powers. I want to learn what else her blade can do.
  2. Deadshot and Will fighting each other when they first met.
  3. Harley using her psychology training.
  4. The Suicide Squad team deciding, one-by-one, if they were going to go after their fellow teammate, Deadshot.

Heartbreaking moments:

1. Oliviaā€™s death. I liked Olivia. Even Waller and Harley seemed to like Olivia. She was just doing her job! I was sad to see her die. Waller feeling guilty about it made Waller seem a little less heartless (yay!).
  2. Everything that happened anytime Deadshot was with his parents. Deadshotā€™s ā€œrealā€ backstory is utterly more tragic than his ā€œstolenā€ backstory. And thatā€™s saying something.
  3. The end scene with Deadshot saying goodbye to his daughter was gut-wrenching. I was close to tears.

I, too, I wished Kobra had more depth as a villain and that more time had been given to Haloā€™s story.

Overall, I dig this story and recommend it. It was an entertaining ride!

2 Likes

@MattMcDonald

AWESOME!!! Iā€™m looking forward to it!!!
Excited, even!!!

2 Likes

@JLWWSM

Yeah, Waller cursing herself over Oliviaā€™s death was a good humanizing moment for her. Of course, that was directly after one of the more cruel moments sheā€™s had in her basically putting Floyd in solitary confinement for the rest of his life. Really, when you get down to it, Waller is the scariest, most sociopathic character in the Squad; she was just smart enough to put her inhuman talents where they are encouraged.

2 Likes

@JLWWSM

Youā€™re right about his daughter having to leave. That was gut wrenching. I think Deadshotā€™s relationship with his daughter is the most interesting thing about the character. I loved seeing him interact with other children as well. Shows a more human side to the killer.

2 Likes

@Jay_Kay

Amanda Waller is one of the scariest people in the DCU.

DCU Book Cult Week 18: Suicide Squad Most Wanted: Deadshot Issues 1-6
I read the Deadshot story again (I own 1-4 and 6 but am adamantly trying to sell them on eBay, lol). Someone perhaps even more deadly than Floyd Lawton is the writer of this series, Brian Buccellato! Like Deadshot, he does it all: writing, colorist, and even acting! Yup, another one of them their writer / artists type that keep bobbing up for this Book Cult.
He does street-level gritty and bone-crunching realism maybe even a little too well. I read his The Black Bat (a real Greek Tragedy of a blind hero concept, Dynamite Comics) where basically Brian B loves to show that if you really are dumb enough to take the law into your own hands, the results will invariably be super ugly for you.

I was surprised when he took on The New 52 Flash, and followed that storyline while it lasted. I havenā€™t read his Injustice: Gods Among Us Volume 4 yet, but that sure seems like a good fit for Mr. Gloom and Doom soothsayer!

Beyond praise for the job Brian B did on this Deadshot Suicide Squad series, I would just echo everyone elseā€™s thoughts here. Yup, this version of Waller shows that there isnā€™t a whole lot different between her and the insane killers she heads up. Iā€™m tempted to go all Myers-Briggs MBTI on yā€™all with which of the 16 basic personality types Waller probably is, but hint: itā€™s the same one a lot of CEOs and top executives are, please see far left bottom side of gridā€¦ (ENTJ). AKA, basically soulless uncaring for others personality extremely goal-driven. March in step!
)

2 Likes

There are some comics that I read, and then forget. This is NOT one of those comics. Deadshotā€™s origin story, and the death of his parents, will stick with me. It was very impactful.

2 Likes

DCU Book Cult Week 18: Suicide Squad Most Wanted: Katana Issues 1-6

Sadly, this half of the reading suggestion for the week was not nearly as stirring or thought-provoking. I do find the tragic heroine Katana intriguing overall with that whole ā€œmy husband is trapped in my sword that is suspiciously similar to Elricā€™s of Melneborneā€, along with her fascinating Japanese warrior background, but her non-USA background, history and culture just didnā€™t come through here at all. Maybe if we read some of her New 52 Birds of Prey issues down the road weā€™ll get a better rendition of Katana.

I also find some of Mike W. Barrā€™s writings very entertaining. My wife and I avidly followed his Camelot 3000 when it was first published, partly due to his exciting take on King Arthur reincarnated in the future, but also due to the artist Brian Bolland. This unfortunately was no Camelot 3000, LOL. Maybe Mr. Barr had bills to pay like the rest of us that year?

fMR0U3k.jpg

1 Like

Rating: I give the Deadshot story a 9 out of 10 for sure (not 10 because frankly stories about murderers arenā€™t my thing). The Katana story is a 4 out of 10; it was almost like Mr. Barr took a single idea and then put it in a blender to see what would happen, leaving a story with none of the things that normally keep me reading a book: no driving plot (it kept changing like the weather), so so art, over the top villains that had to compelling back story, and a heroine that suddenly goes from being a warrior who completes missions to a general that oversees an army.

(no compelling back story for the villains)