DCU Book Club Week 18: Suicide Squad Most Wanted: Deadshot and Katana (2016) Issues 1-6

Greetings!

I hope everyone had a great week last week! I missed hosting but @JLWWSM absolutely crushed it! The first Week of Girl Power! Was a huge success. Thank you to everyone who participated, it was a blast!

This week we are going to be diving in to Suicide Squad Most Wanted: Deadshot and Katana Issues 1-6. This book is a monster with each issue weighing in at 40(ish) pages. So plan accordingly!

Why Suicide Squad? Great question, Suicide Squad #50 hits shelves this week! With an absolutely killer cover from Jim Lee. Check it out at your Local Comic Shop! (Or you know Amazon or something)

Discussion kicks off this Friday (January 18) and lasts all weekend! Feel free to leave spoiler free thoughts throughout the week!

If you want to talk about all things DC and other fun stuff DCUBC is on Discord: https://discord.gg/SUs87JP

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me via email Mattcmcd@gmail.com or on Twitter @Mattmcdonald

Insert Joke here about the Suicide Squad movie.

10 Likes

Keen pick! I’ve been meaning to read this mini since it came out.

Can I say I like the Suicide Squad movie?

4 Likes

I picked this up when it was originally coming out and totally forgot how long each issue was. Since it’s 2 seperate stories unfolding over each issue feel free to just read one of them. Ones about Deadshot the other is about Katana (duh)

I’ll be reading both, just don’t want anyone to feel forced to read everything if they don’t have the time!

2 Likes

@vroom

I actually like it too! It’s got problems but damn if it’s not a fun time.

2 Likes

I know, right? It’s a fun movie! I like the animated SS flicks too. They don’t have Margot Harley though, so the live action one has a leg up there.

2 Likes

Nice pick! Another one I’ve been meaning to try.

And I agree, I like the live-action movie. It has problems, but I think the chemistry and care with the actors make up for it. Hopefully with James Gunn attached we’ll get a sequel that keeps what made the first movie a success, and just makes it better as an overall story.

1 Like

I really hope Viola Davis comes back as Waller. Remember when Oprah was rumored for the role? If she’d played Waller, that would have been awesome! I remember Tom Hardy was cast as Flag but had to drop out. He said he has an idea for a DC flick that’s kind of BS crazy (probably Vertigo based, Transmet mayhaps?).

2 Likes

Tom Hardy as Spider Jerusalem? SIGN ME THE HELL UP.

1 Like

Wow I think these are giant-sized it might be like 12 issues of New 52 lol

1 Like

@MattMcDonald

Thanks for the kind words!

I am really excited about this week’s selection. Deadshot and Katanna are cool characters :sunglasses:. Also, thanks for the notice of the longer read. I will plan accordingly.

3 Likes

As I recall it was two separate stories in each issue , some of my favorite writers for sure!

1 Like

Yep, two per issue. That then resulted in two seperate trades (one for each story).

1 Like

@Jay_Kay, I wholeheartedly agree. Bane was born to play Spider.

2 Likes

Dang these are so long! I’m trying to do one a day but its hard

3 Likes

Yeah they are long I’m also trying to read one a day!

1 Like

This series was epic. Deadshots story was great, The final fight at the end was sick. The Katana story picked up by 3 when the Squad showed up and what happened to BattleAxe was crazy. Reason I love the Squad is you have red shirt characters and of Course you got Harley , she’s adds the fun to the chaos

3 Likes

I think I’m going to throw in the towel on this one. It’s good but there’s too many things I’d rather read

1 Like

Too much to read, but i WIll be reading everybody’s comments.

1 Like

@turok

Sorry about that! Hope you join us next week!

1 Like

@astrowolfboy

Glad you liked it!

1 Like