DCU Book Club Week 16: DC UNIVERSE REBIRTH (2016) Issue 1

Can’t wait also! Gonna start it tonight!

2 Likes

So much I didn’t pick up on when I read this a couple years ago. Can’t wait to talk about it in depth. Hope to see everyone here this weekend!

1 Like

Ok so we are officially spoiler free correct? Because HOT DAMN THIS BOOK! I have been told by my buddy to read Rebirth for a while. “It’s the Flash and weird time ■■■■. It’s everything you love!” he would tell me. HE WAS SO RIGHT! My heart was aching when Wally would try to reach out only to be ripped back and then destroyed when Linda couldn’t recognize him. The highlight was of course when Barry was able to save Wally and pull him from the Speed Force. All I can hope is the DCU uploads The Button ASAP so I can continue this storyline!!!

1 Like

Spoiler discussion has begun and lasts all weekend! What did you think of this week’s book?

1 Like

@Magnethero

Wally’s shenanigans are so sad.

2 Likes

How agonizing was it to see Wally reach Linda, the love of his life, only for her to not even know him in the N52. Batman holding the Comedian’s Button looks so ominous. This issue was about bringing legacy back to the DCU.

1 Like

This one-shot was my absolute favorite book of 2016. It is absolutely a modern classic in every way.

I was bummed to see Pandora get vaporized though. I really liked her, her ongoing series, her role in the Trinity of Sin (group and then the comic of the same name) and all of the background appearances she made in the first issues of the initial New 52 titles. Finding her in each #1 was the DC equivalent of Where’s Waldo.

Anyway, solid read.

5 Likes

I’m really glad I read this again - good pick @MattMcDonald. The first time I read it I didn’t have much exposure to Wally, now, this book means a lot more to me.

“She was my lightning rod”

Legion ring - The first time I saw it, I had no idea what it was. Now that I’ve become familiar with the Legion via the Supergirl show, I was really excited when I saw the ring.

The Atom’s message being disconnected at the most important part of the message was a nice cliffhanger.

Blue Beetle’s Scarab is magic not technology. - To quote Steve Trevor in WW 2017 “Well that’s neat.” :slight_smile: I haven’t read Blue Beetle yet; I’d like to learn more about him.

Superman looks really good in all of his panels.

Arthur’s proposal was a complete delight and surprise. I read the full new 52 arch of Aquaman and the proposal moment felt like the very satisfying “prize” in the box.

Constantine’s response/insult to Swamp Thing was a laugh out loud moment for me. It was a typical snarky Constantine remark.

Wally’s goodbye speech was powerful and a tear-jerker.

The art was fantastic!

4 Likes

What I love about this book is that isn’t just a cold, forced shift to something different, and it doesn’t just insult what came before, but rather tells a human, emotional story that is also allegorical to the DCU as a whole. I’ve never been a big fan of Wally, but the moment when he tells Barry goodbye and “thank you for an amazing life” still puts a lump in my throat.

3 Likes

Telling the story from Wally’s perspective was a great idea and I actually got teary reading that scene between him and Barry. I have not followed all the Rebirth titles, so I don’t know how all these storylines have played out. But for a “teaser” book, this was a very satisfying read.

2 Likes

My favorite thing about this book is the Watchmen reveal. The way it transitions into a 9 panel grid. It’s just masterfully done.

1 Like

@Vroom

Agreed it really is a cut above the rest. Every time I read it I find something new to love.

@JLWWSM

Ahhh! The proposal was great! Totally forgot to mention it! Really felt like a beautiful ending of sorts to John’s work on the character during New 52.

1 Like

@buddybaker

If you want to find out where this story goes next, here’s a decent list:

The Flash: Rebirth (NOT the six issue miniseries, the one-shot) shows Barry talking to Batman about the events of Rebirth.

After that was “The Button,” a crossover between Batman and The Flash, which is about The Reverse Flash finding the Watchmen button and the consequences of it.

That leads into “Doomsday Clock,” currently ongoing where characters from the Watchmen universe come to Prime Earth to find Doctor Manhattan and save their world.

There are also stories in Action and Detective Comics, called “The Oz Effect” and “A Lonely Place of Living” that deals with the Mr Oz character and his role, but they’re not very essential.

1 Like

It was an amazing read and felt it not only respected the fans of the New 52, by not just eliminating it, it was a great story to open up a new chapter and bridge between the New 52 and current Post-Superman Reborn Rebirth era. My only disappointments been how they continued Wally West-Pre Flashpoint character arc, they use the Titans comics and occasional guest spots. It would’ve been awesome to give Wally West his own series as he gets used to the new timeline. But now we have Heroes in Crisis, so thats out the window (for now).

1 Like

Bubble

@Jay_Kay

Thanks for posting that. It’s crazy how many plot lines this book sets up without feeling overwhelming. And some of these haven’t been properly wrapped up yet.

Doomsday Clock is really hitting its stride right now. Hopefully it finds its way here in the coming years!

1 Like

I want to give a special shout out to the Barry and Wally interaction. The paneling in particular is really good in that sequence. I just adore it.

5 Likes

Bubble

DC Rebirth is a modern classic. If you hopped off due to the new 52, this was the book to draw you back in, if you hung in for the new 52 like myself, Rebirth returned the familiarity that was missing.