DCU Book Club Week 14: AQUAMAN (2011) Issues 1-4

@Nathanpayson

For sure. This is definitely required reading for the character.

Anyone else want to join in?

1 Like

This was my first time reading a solo aquaman story and it definatly got me more interested.

3 Likes

Professor Matt, I shall attempt to take time during my action-packed Sunday today to do a deep-dive into the suggested story.

1 Like

@thirdstillson

That’s awesome! Aquaman is a fantastic character with a rich history. Tons of great Aquaman stories out there!

2 Likes

Discussion lasts for the rest of the day! Get those final thoughts in!

1 Like

I love aquaman, one of my favorite characters, so I really enjoyed the 4 issues. Haven’t read an aquaman story in a while. I always feel bad when they make fun of him for “talking” to fish though, I find it cool that he’s able to communicate with ocean life. Last thing, saw the movie yesterday and it was amazing!

1 Like

AQUAMAN (2011-) #1:

It always takes me by surprise when I experience how short the New 52 $2.99 comics were back in 2011….more on why all that is bitter-sweet as we go here…

I like the writing technique at the beginning of issue #1 of using a blogger to catch up new readers on who Aquaman is, and also using that scene to announce, via the obnoxious / unkept blogger, what our real world writer G Johns wanted to tackle with this New 52 series.

The tension and drama of Aquaman deciding to renounce being King of Atlantis due to “how heavy lies the crown” and also due to acknowledging his human heritage is both compelling and thought-provoking.

The art is better than the average DC artwork with Ivan Reis, but what really stood out for me (much like Long Halloween) was the coloring by Joe Prado, like in this scene:

1 Like

For those that were wondering, the Trench do show up later on in Johns’ run during the “Throne of Atlantis” crossover with Justice League.

3 Likes

AQUAMAN (2011-) #2

The narrative continues to bring us up to speed on the revised Arthur / Mera situation, and we immediately pick up on some of the fun to come: Mera considering trying skiing etc brings to mind the expression “fish out of water”, but it’s inspiring that she is unafraid and fearless to try something potentially dangerous for a being like her more used to having their weight supported by water than by air.

The antagonists from the Trench are obviously designed based on the actual creatures that live in the extreme water pressure 7 miles deep in the Mariana Trench in the Pacific (see image). Part of the unfolding mystery here is: what compelled these creatures to come up to the surface in this story? Is there something even more terrible than they are waiting for Aquaman in the Trench?

One of the “holes” in the story-world logic for this New 52 Aquaman 4 issue story is: when you bring a creature from the Mariana Trench up to the surface, it explodes due to the pressure differences, just like we would all be squished (imploded) like bugs if we tried to go down there without a bathysphere or submarine. So it really doesn’t make a lot of sense having these super-deep trench creatures cavorting aroung on the surface munching on us any more than it would make sense for you and I to decide to go scuba diving 7 miles down to try out the cuisine there…

J0QN4Me.jpg

1 Like

AQUAMAN (2011-) #3

First, let’s clear the water on this slur to cannibals everywhere in the title of issue #3: these scary-looking Trench creatures aren’t cannibals any more than you are a cannibal if you eat a hamburger. They aren’t humans. They are fish creatures. So chomp away, my Trenchy-monsters, with a clear conscience by that definition.

Of course, that brings up a broader topic even for those of us who are non-vegans. Aquaman / Arthur mentions dolphins being a little different mentally earlier in the tale. Would it be moral or right for us non-Vegans to consume creatures that are self-aware, contemplate their existence, create art etc? So, bad Trench-creatures, bad Trench-creatures by that definition!!! I guess we may need a new word for “beings that eat fellow sentient self-aware beings.” Galactus, LOL ? (Zombie Galactus-Head being the worse!!! Where does it all go? But I digress….)

Second, I didn’t mention earlier, there are some very poorly-drawn panels in the first two issues, just sloppy stuff on Reis’ part. Rush job, I don’t know, the initial launch of New 52 was a unique time in DC history full of offices moving across the country etc, but…I do love this opening flashback scene in issue #3 by Mr. Reis (see image posted)!

The other artwork touch I liked a lot in issue 3 is the scene where Aquaman’s armor glowed in the setting (or rising?) sunlight- I am pretty sure that was totally the masterful work of the afore-mentioned colorist Joe Prado (see separate image later)!

Aw, the puppy popping out of the food bag was a super-nice surprise. Everyone loves puppies!!!

The introduction of the enigmatic Dr. Chin whets our appetite for who wants the trident etc in future issues.

1 Like

Cool colorist touch of Arthur’s armor shining in the light:

1 Like

AQUAMAN (2011-) #4

Tragic ending and lots of mystery remaining concerning this race of toothy beings that perhaps is answered elsewhere like in the Throne of Atlantis Justice League series. It looks like the grand ocean depths may have lots of story potential from the scenes here, like the abandoned Atlantan vessel!

I agree with the previous reviewers here that the “Aquadog” epilogue / denouement here is heart-warming, especially the part where the deputy notes that the doggie can’t swim as he leaves it off in Aquaman / Mera’s care!

Personally, I still own the series Aquaman and the Others that came out a little after this, and really enjoyed the storyline of a super team Aquaman belongs to prior to the Justice League (even though it wasn’t done by Geoff Johns).

So some last notes as I turn in my assignment, Professor Matt:
Caveat: Joe P didn’t color The Long Halloween, my issue one noteearlier was referring to the superior coloring job of both this series and the Long Halloween. It is interesting that the artist for Long Halloween, like Ivan Reis, has panels that just are primitive and swiftly-rendered. I need to keep in mind that on the printed page they aren’t close ups like they are with the digital panel reader here.

Finally, kinda related: Why reading New 52 comics is bittersweet to me (apologies to our Discord DCU Book Club channel colleague Nu52!!):

When New 52 first launched, right after Flashpoint, my wife and I had just moved to our current “edge of nowhere” country dwelling, but a really good comic book story was only 17 minutes away! Every Wednesday I would faithfully rush out of my home office, regardless of any remaining required workload, to catch the latest of the New 52 comics from my buddy “Joe” that ran (but did not own) the nearby-store. Those of you who had read comics for decades probably know where this is going. The comic shop closed about 4 years ago on some frankly very tragic notes, and now I am forced to just go comic-shopping twice a month at a great store 45 minutes away on every other Saturdays or Sundays after the hot comics are all sold out.

Alas, New 52 I knew thee well!!!

1 Like

@Don-El

Another fantastic write up! Regarding the creatures of the trench exploding. I totally didn’t catch that.

I really like the Trench in general. I love the horror vibes they can bring to a traditional super hero book. I hope they find their way into the current Aquaman run (which just got a soft reboot).

I’m glad you brought up the colors. I’m kicking myself for not bringing it up myself. They are really great.

1 Like

@Blue_Shadow

I loved the movie as well. I’m for sure going to be double dipping on it because I can’t wait to see it again!

2 Likes

@Jay_Kay

That’s right, I totally forgot about Throne of Atlantis. Which is weird because I actually really liked it.

I liked it. This is my introduction to Aquaman in the comics. I never thought The character was cool or gave him very much thought until I seen the movie that’s out in theaters.
I liked the movie so much I wanted to dive deeper with these characters and their world.
I enjoyed the art and story, I have become a big Geoff Johns fan, late to the party I know. The new 52 is an excellent point for any new readers to jump on. After seeing the movie and then reading these, it’s pretty obvious this was a big source for the story that’s in theaters. It’s my understanding they just released the omnibus for this run, definitely has my interest.

2 Likes

Bubble

@IssacBrown

Glad you liked it! Now excuse me while I convince my wife to let me pick up that Omnibus.

2 Likes

Looks like it’s a wrap! Wonder what Matt’s going to post for us to all read on the new thread???