DCU Book Club Week 14: AQUAMAN (2011) Issues 1-4

Thanks @djd!

1 Like

Ggjjkk

2 Likes

Spoiler discussion begins tomorrow at 5PM EST!

1 Like

This is a great arc to read before seeing Aquaman in theaters

4 Likes

Yay! Downloading now!

1 Like

See you guys/gals this evening for spoiler discussion!

3 Likes

I have yet to read something by Geoff Johns that I did not love

Hoo boy, where to start?

I’ll start with the art in relation to the story. A large part of what makes this run legendary is very much Ivan Reis. I was familiar with his art in bits and pieces before (the Rebirth promo), but it wasn’t until this that I understood how much of a badass Ivan was.

Johns’ writing is top-class on its own, but for it to be paired with such a perfect combination of epic rendering and subtle characterization is nothing less than magical.

Ivan NAILS Arthur’s suppressed anger, his love for Mera, his wry humor, and his nostalgic wistfulness just as much as the big action scenes and epic posing.

You almost can’t get any better than that.

6 Likes

@bcbranman

Thanks for sharing! Johns and Reis are absolutely firing on all cylinders in this book. I think it’s both of their best works. No wonder New 52 Aquaman is one of the most requested books on the service.

4 Likes

Agree with bcbranman on all counts. I thought the art was very beautifully done. Loved the story. I enjoyed the symmetry between the opening “you are no one’s favorite superhero” and the ending “you’re my favorite superhero.” Having never read any solo Aquaman, I did not feel lost so they did a good job on that too. This seems like a good spot to jump in.

They acknowledge all the jokes and public perception of Aquaman and then they make you like him anyway. Johns always adds so much heart into his stories and I thought that showed here.

3 Likes

I hope they put more of this series up in the near future

So the discussion started right Matt? Lol, “bubble”

@aiwe

The “You’re my favorite Super Hero” bit was my favorite. It gets me every time.

3 Likes

@Don-El

The discussion doesn’t really start till you jump in

2 Likes

Where do I even start? I loved everything about this series: the trench, the romance, MERA, queen-mother trench, Aquaman, the art is beautiful, the story moves quickly and never has a dull moment, did I say the trench already?, the cocoons, the “you’re my favorite superhero” kid, the adorable dog that can’t swim, Mr. Shin, the humor… This series made me love Aquaman.

6 Likes

@JLWWSM

Yay! Glad you liked it!

2 Likes

I’m seeing the movie today and am very excited to see how it compares to this arc!

4 Likes

Blub

1 Like

This is definitely one of four definitive Aquaman stories. (Trench, war for the throne, crown comes down (rebirth), and Drowned Earth.

2 Likes

It’s just so so so good! Tieing it into Aquaman’s movie, the trench honestly has such a cool story. Is there anywhere the trench shows up again?

4 Likes