DCU Book Club Week 13 BATMAN: LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT Issues 201-203

Discussion lasts the rest of the day. Let us know what you thought of this week’s book!

I really enjoyed the story and I also loved the artwork. The only downside is that it’s just 3 issues. Great choice this week!

3 Likes

@Blue_Shadow

Thanks for dropping by! I agree wish it was a tad bit longer

1 Like

This is a good little Batman story that I would not have known of had I not read it with the DCU Book Club, cheers everyone! An interesting tale with Thomas Wayne being alleged to be the Robinson Park Ripper in an investigative reporters book that is due to be released.
I appreciated that this arc was just three issues around this busy time of year, but I felt as strong as the story started it had a good foundation that could have been expanded upon with more issues. (always a good gripe when you want more) I enjoyed the mystery and detective elements this arc provided, and the art was good

2 Likes

Batman: LODK #201

It’s been quite a while since I read a comic highlighting the detective side of Batman that featured him being a master of disguise! Real fun seeing Bruce make himself look so amazingly different with each setting as he reinterviewed the victim’s acquaintances.

Ron Wagner is an adequate artist whose reknown is getting in trouble with the Comics Code Authority back in the early 1990’s when drawing Morbius; I did really enjoy his depiction of Alfred here; you get the sense of Alfred’s age and wisdom in his scenes.

Super shocking ending to the first issue of this tale, although Gage did a nice job hinting at what we might see. I was kinda hoping Batman would get there in time to save the guy…wish I did two big workouts a day like that!!

One other reflection from the topics covered in this issue: the prevalence of sensationistic books that focus on the rich and famous. I am both puzzled and intrigued with the world’s adoration and obsession with actors, celebrity, fame and wealth. Your treasure is where your heart truly is, America…

2 Likes

Batman: LOTDK #202

“You have such a good heart, Bruce, when are you going to give all this up?” Leslie Thompkins.

You can say that again, after the way that bar looked after Batman asked questions, yeeesh!

Holy Cliffhangers, Batman! What an ending to this issue, case seems solved, but is it forever too late for the family friend and rare Bruce-confidant??

1 Like

Batman: LOTDK #203

Imagine if this had been illustrated by the cover artist…

Ariel Olivetti!

Christos Gage keeps the mysteries going even as he lets us in on the answers to initial questions: “He’s desperate to keep the fact that he was the Ripper secret, but why?He’s a convicted multiple murderer.”

That’s for sure, Freeze is one of the featured villians in Gotham Central, a fab Greg Rucka - Ed Brubaker production that focused on what dealing with super criminals in Gotham is like for the police force.

The scene of Batman finally smashing Freeze’s helmet after his previously-injured spine is in great jeopardy is exciting and inspirational!!!

Great reveal of the innermost mystery at the end. This is a well-constructed story, the way it weaves in with the earlier flashbacks to Thomas Wayne! Bravo!!!

The final scene of Freeze no longer enjoying the fan mail he gets from the lady admirers summons up for me a quote from the Shadow:
“The weed of crime bears bitter fruit.”

1 Like

Inspirational scene:

3 Likes

This one is for my DCU Book Club Discord buddies who wish the Titans on TV included all the original Titans from the 1960’s: Ron Wagner’s depiction of the Titans in the Convergence series a few years ago:

1 Like

Bubble

Good stuff Don-El love the pic too.

1 Like

IssacBrown

I agree with u on the whole limited arc but enough body to & substance to make u long for more of the same. I thought it was a extremely robust for a 3 issue arc. It felt like I’d read an entire mystery novel by the time it was over. Good stuff when there’s enough emotionally there to make a short arc feel like a giant. I might even go back & read more from that run, as Don-El said I also enjoyed the Alfred in this one.

3 Likes

Should be only one to in 1st sentence mentally erase the 1 b4 the ampersand if u can while reading what I just posted

1 Like

Also erase the a before extremely I swear autocorrect is just gonna have to come off of my IPad it drives me crazy never helps me, never need it, why do I let it stay on? I’m talking to myself ignore me

1 Like

@Don-El

My favorite moment was Batman smashing Freeze’s helmet. Great breakdown as always Don!

2 Likes

@IssacBrown

Glad you liked it!

2 Likes

Bubble 3 hours to go if you’re West Coast

Oh I rate this a 9 out of 10 .

If the artwork have been just a teeny weeny bit better and more consistent it would be at at 10 for me.

1 Like

Bubble

just finished reading all 3 issues and boy was it a good story arc. short but felt like i had a read a whole novel. this story for a minute had me thinking thomas wayne was a bad guy but it all made sense at the end.

4 Likes