DCU Book Club Week 112: BATMAN/ELMER FUDD SPECIAL; Nov. 2 - Nov. 8

After a chance meeting with billionaire Bruce Wayne, Elmer Fudd’s obsession quickly escalates into stalking Batman through the dark alleys and high-class social settings of Gotham City. Welcome to Bat Season! And the bonus Looney Tunes backup story features DC characters written by Tom King and artwork by Byron Vaughns

Howdy folks!

This is where I would introduce this week’s book. Instead I’ve got a bit of news to share with you all instead. This week, on behalf of @JLWWSM and myself we are formally announcing that DC Universe Book Club will be going on a Hiatus.

While we aren’t exactly sure what the future holds for DCUBC, it will no longer be helmed by us. Conversations about what will happen to DCUBC are ongoing, and hopefully we will have more news on that front in January.

This year has been tough, and we both feel like it is the right time to step away so we can spend more time with our families. This decision was not an easy one. Over the last 2 years we have had a blast reading and talking about Comics with all of you. We will miss it!

So thank you all. For the last 2 years. We’ve created something special here. And we couldn’t have done it without all of you. :heart:

How to join the fun:

• Start reading here! (DC UNIVERSE INFINITE: Explore the Multiverse)

• :alarm_clock:Read the issue between 2020-11-02T06:00:00Z2020-11-08T06:00:00Z :alarm_clock:

• :memo:Tackle the below discussion questions at your leisure:memo:

• :speaking_head:Let us know what you thought of the book as a whole!:speaking_head:

And that’s it! Easy right?

:batman_hv_1:Spoiler discussion begins right now!:superman_hv_1:

:clark_hv_1:Discussion Questions:clark_hv_5:

• Is this your first time reading Batman/Elmer Fudd?

• What were your expectations prior to reading?

• What did you think of Elmer Fudd?

• What was your favorite Page or Panel?

Questions, comments, concerns? Feel Free to shoot me a message!

You can find more info on DCUBC Here!

4 Likes

This decision was not made easily. Thank you for the support over the years, and if you have any questions please let us know!

Thank you for everything :sob:

4 Likes

Matt said everything I feel!

Thank you, Matt and thank you to everyone for your support. It’s been an honor and a pleasure to read and discuss comics with you! :blue_heart: :blue_heart: :blue_heart:

4 Likes

Sad to hear you guys are doing a hiatus for the club – always looked forward to Mondays to see what you guys would offer, whether it was something I had no experience with, or a reason to revisit one I really like, such as this week’s issue.

Hope to see you guys come back in January. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

DCUIBC? :wink:

2 Likes

Literally the only acceptable answer, as far as I’m concerned.

2 Likes
  • First time! And I don’t think ever would’ve read this, so thanks for picking this one. It was hilarious at the end!

• I figured we’d hunt Wabbits. :carrot:

• I thought it was a nice new take on his cartoon character. Still familiar, but also different.

• I loved the second half of the story and was laughing all the way through it! Bugs Bunny being himself as well as our gullible Elmer Fudd.

:laughing:

:laughing:

:laughing: I guess they do have that in common!

Bonus:

I really needed that laugh today! Thanks Matt for over two years of excellent picks!

2 Likes

No, thank you! Glad you liked this week’s book!

Didn’t know how much i needed to re read this until i did!

2 Likes

This was my first time reading this comic, and I loved it. My expectations were as high as they always are when I pick up a new Tom King book.

The film noir, private eye take on Elmer Fudd was refreshing, surprising, and spot on. What a way to darken the Looney Tunes bunch for their appearance in Gotham City. Page 8, where the reimagined classic cartoon characters were introduced, was definitely my favorite page.

I’d been meaning to read more of these mashups, and this issue was a great place to start.

2 Likes

Yes! I’m the same way too when i see a book by Tom King, but he really delivers here. I loved his dark take on the loony toons world, and it REALLY fits in Gotham!

1 Like

@MattMcDonald and @JLWWSM: I know I’ve been in and out of the club (mostly out lately) over the last year or two, but I just wanted to say thank you to you both for running it. Sorry to read about the hiatus thing, but I’m glad that this means you’ll be able to relax with your families more. I hope 2021 is the best year EVER for you both!

2 Likes

Thank you @ralphsix! And I hope 2021 is the best year for you too! :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Yes first time.

Whatever my expectations were going in it was probably more of the second part than the first and I was not expecting to get all those Looney Toon characters cameos in the bar scenes.

It was definitely a more serious take on Elmer Fudd in the first half of this comic book however I found the story very exciting and was wondering what happened to Silver the whole book.

My favorite part was the duel between Elmer and Batman. This was the first time that I have ever seen Elmer as an adversary to anyone other than himself.

I would just like to thank both @MattMcDonald and @JLWWSM for taking the time out of their life’s to start this book club and expose us to some of DC’s unknown and known titles throughout the last two years. With this club on a hiatus I will have some time to whittle my reading list down. I look forward to seeing what will become of this club in the new year and what new books we will be reading in the future

3 Likes

Ahh yes!! Great choice! [quote=“Lecouch84, post:13, topic:1430897”]
I would just like to thank both @MattMcDonald and @JLWWSM for taking the time out of their life’s to start this book club and expose us to some of DC’s unknown and known titles throughout the last two years. With this club on a hiatus I will have some time to whittle my reading list down. I look forward to seeing what will become of this club in the new year and what new books we will be reading in the future
[/quote]

Thank you :sob::sob::sob::sob: we hope it lives on, without us! Thank you so much for reading along!

2 Likes

Thank you so much @ralphsix we are sad to leave this chapter behind, but it’s for the best. Thanks for stopping by!

2 Likes

Hi and thank you @Lecouch84 for your kind words

It’s been an absolute pleasure to host, read, and discuss with you! I’m happy to hear you will be working through your reading list. :blue_heart:

2 Likes

I was looking for this week’s reading selection and noticed this announcement sandwiched in last week’s reading selection

Thank you both for running this club for the past two years. I greatly appreciated many of the selections that were offered that I had never gotten around to read and this has been a great opportunity to dig in on a weekend.

It’s also been wonderful to be able to talk to both of you personally through the Discord Channel we all once used to frequent.

While I no longer belong to that server that was started up for this book club over 2 years ago, I am still there on Discord in general if you ever want to reach out and catch up.

2 Likes

I just had the same experience as @Don-El. I was looking for the week’s reading selection so I could join in. This saddens every fiber of my being. The core of my heart is gutted. I hope both of you will still be around sometimes in the forums, as you know I have such an immense love and respect for the both of you. Having had the opportunity to meet you both, I saw that passion for these comics. I have also gotten the opportunity to speak to you both at different times during the 2 years of this club. I know you are both making the best decision for your individual lives, but it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t sting a bit that you will both be around less. You know I wish nothing but great things for you both. I will forever be indebted to you both for giving me wonderful conversations, friendship, and such from not only this book club but just in general. I hope the club continues in some capacity in the future, as it was the first and foremost of them. It is more important to me though that I hope to see you guys around from time to time. Love and light to you both. You will forever have a friend here. Never hesitate to reach out. Thank you again for the wonderful memories. Such respect to you both.

2 Likes