DCU Book Club Week 11: ROBIN: SON OF BATMAN Issues 1-6

@jhuston your right that is frustrating. However maybe Mattman knows something we don’t. He dose have 2 full weeks of book club before we need that one. 1-6 this week 7-12 next week and by then we will be into December when new content drops. Hopefully we will get it by then.
Let’s hold off on pitch forks and torches at least till then.

To be clear next week is not 7-12 it’s a completely different book. I’m not a DC/WB employee so I don’t know about what’s going on behind the scenes. What I do know is that they are listening to feedback, and they genuinely care about making this service wonderful.

5 Likes

With that said we seem pretty split on Damian Wayne. Can’t wait to see the reaction after the book!

3 Likes

Mattman your awesome. thank you for the book club. I for one am really enjoying it. I did not know you weren’t a DCU employee. Thank you from one fan to another.

1 Like

I’ve always loved Damian! He can be an asshole sometimes, but I think thats part of why I like him haha!

2 Likes

Good choice! Lot of people discussing Damien lately. Me and my Husband were talking about how much the Titans Jason Todd reminded us more of Damien, and Dick more of Jason Todd. Will be good to have a refresher

1 Like

@Dr.Doom

Thanks! Glad to do it!

1 Like

I loooooove Damian. Grant Morrison knows how to create awesome drama and his entire overview and use of Damian and Bruce and Talia was so captivating IMO.

3 Likes

Damian is my favorite grumpy boi

3 Likes

Anybody that is a Batman fan has to love Damian. He’s a mini version of Batman with youthful angst, who at the end of the day, just wants to be loved and make his father proud. He’s my favorite Robin of all time, and yea Dick is the original but it was after becoming Nightwing where he really broke out of Batman’s shadow and came into his own. And out of all the Robins, Damian is the only one that is blood related and has a self instilled responsibility to carry on the family legacy that Batman created. And what makes it better is that he know has a close friendship with Jon Kent, Superboy so it takes that friendly banter that Batman and Superman shares and takes it to another level.

3 Likes

Didn’t like him at first. Until I read New 52 Batman and Robin. He had a cutest pic of when he was toddler, he found and worn his mom’s hidden Batman hood and cape and showed it to her.

Reminder: Spoiler discussion begins today at 5PM EST and lasts all weekend, see you then!

1 Like

Non-spoiler question: Is there a prequel to this story?

1 Like

Also, is this the comic that the “Son of Batman” movie is based off of? I haven’t watched the movie, so I’m curious if there is a tie between this series and the movie.

Bless his heart, the little turd. Only on issue 2 but this is a well organized book imo. The art is fantastic, the inks are crisp, the layout of pages aren’t hard to follow, and the dialogue is great!

1 Like

I love the idea of the Book Club. I’m too late to get on the Son of Batman read, but for my 2 cents, I find Damien Wayne to be a very unlikeable character. Makes me long for the days of the Jason Todd Robin. I’ll go back and try to catch up on Son of Batman to see if I change my mind, but as a rule I can’t stand arrogant people, and Damien has arrogance in spades.

2 Likes

Spoiler discussion has begun! What did you think of this week’s book?

1 Like

@JLWWSM

I might be wrong but I believe this is a continuation of the New 52 Batman and Robin Book

3 Likes

Ok, I just finished issue 6. I mostly liked it. The premise of the story was solid, and the art terrific. My main quibble is that it wrapped up a little too quickly. Everything after Talia’s return seemed at breakneck speed and I was left unsure what was going on. Yeah, I know. There are more issues in the series, and I will check them out. I may also just need to go back and re-read 5 & 6.

But the pacing was so good in the early part of the story and I was really liking the building relationship between Maya and Damien. And then the island blows up, the brothers sacrifice themselves and Maya makes a complete turnaround in her opinion. And while I can see that this is where the story was leading all along, it did not feel quite earned yet, and I think they needed more adventures together to build that level of trust, forgiveness, and redemption.

2 Likes

To:whom concerns; I Adelaida Alvelo I.would like to cancel ;my subscription at this moment I can afforded please help to cancel,