DCU Book Club Week 107: MANIFEST ETERNITY (2006-) Issues 1-6, Sep 28-Oct 4

An Earth-based empire of science is attacked by an empire of magic—causing decades of war and casualties in the hundreds of millions. From the opening shots of the first contact to the final, apocalyptic battle, this ambitious new series will show every side of the conflict. Each issue spotlights a new group: monsters who pilot zombified dragon dreadnoughts; elite fighter pilots from Earth; the shadowy figure named Tarkington. Could he have betrayed all of humanity decades before the start of the hostilities?

Greetings DCU,

Hello and welcome to week 107!

Wildstorm’s Signature Series presents: Manifest Eternity.

Each issue in this series is viewed through a unique lens and has a unique feel. Get ready to see new universes, technologies, species, weapons, and dragons as this imaginative story unfolds!

:busts_in_silhouette: HOW TO JOIN THE FUN!

• Read the story between Monday, September 28, 2020 and Sunday, October 4, 2020.

• Reply your answers to the discussion questions, share your thoughts about the story, or both!

• Have fun discussing the book with the community. All are welcome to join, just jump right in!

:rotating_light: Our SPOILER discussion begins NOW.

:books: What to Read: MANIFEST ETERNITY (2006-) Issues 1-6 :books:

:dragon: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS: :dragon:

1. Is this your first time reading Manifest Eternity (2006-)?

2. What was your favorite issue?

3. Which character(s) stood out the most to you?

4. Which moments in the story were most memorable to you?

As always, we’d love to hear your candid thoughts and reactions to the story.

:incoming_envelope: Questions? Concerns? Feel free to send me a direct message.

Click here to learn more about DCU Book Club (DCUBC).

Happy Reading!

3 Likes

Hmm… This will be definitely be new to me. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

Fran Tarkington?

Wow, I’ve never heard of this. I’m definitely curious to give it a try! :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi! @bcarder2

I’m glad we could bring a new title up for reading!

I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts about it.

1 Like

Hi ! @Jay_Kay

Glad to see you! This one was new for me too. I’ve never read a story quite like this one.

Thank you so much @JLWWSM for suggesting this series. I really enjoyed reading Manifest Eternity. I want more. Is there more? I couldn’t find more.
This is my first time reading and thoroughly enjoyed each issue. The first two were more like a set-up to what will come, and the last four were stories within the overall framework. I’ll just say, if this is all, there is a century of storylines to be written. Honestly, I have more questions than comments to make on this series. There are a lot, and I mean a lot, of avenues to explore here. I digress…
Ok, lets start with Tarkington. He is our main character throughout. This guy is an enigma. I could make some guesses on what he might be up to, but I’m not at all confident. He’s a soldier, leading rescue missions, a scientist, exploring planets, a coordinator of spies and assassins, and a politician. Tarkington has a plan, I’m sure of it, but I can’t guess what. Does he want power over all? Possibly, but not likely. At least he didn’t start out that way. Does he want to destroy the Magewhole? Maybe, but why wait until they attack? What was his usefulness to Mog leading up to the first attack? I don’t know, I just don’t. I do think that the answer of what he is up to lies within the secret of whatever he plans to do with the heart of the religious leader, Shro Ore, of Hellworld.

My favorite Book was #3. I think its because we jump ahead in the story, into the war, and meet new characters. Splotch, which we find out later is a product from whence this all started. Then there are the three special ops, Stanislov, Sev-K Anansi, and Bob, that go in to break out the ambassador. Tarkington is in there as the narrator. And last but not least is Captain Rave, an eight year old that can destroy zombie dragon ships with turkeys. How great was that?! She’s a crafty one, that Rave. She even turns the magic spells around on the enemy. Obviously, she is my favorite character. How could she not be, tagging her kills. I’m glad they revisited her in her origin story in #6.

Something that stood out to me that resonated through #2, #3, and #4 was Rex and his wife (Red, or was he calling the baby that?). After Tarkington had saved his crew from Mog by agreeing to terms, on the ship Tarkington sees the love between the two. The writers make a point of Tarkington noticing it. Of course they have a baby, Splotch, a fighter pilot team leader in the future. Finally, they are the ones that accompany Tarkington to the Citadel, and after the massacre, after Tarkington’s speech, Mog keeps his word and takes their lives. Sad, really. They had no idea, but Tarkington knew they were going to die.

There is just so much in this storyline that I could go on about, like how kickass Skul is. It just seems that this could be an epic series, like the kind of thing that could go on through several novels. The backstories and side stories could be endless.

1 Like

I forgot a question that I wanted to ask to see who might know.

Who are the two narrators in the first issue?

Hi @bcarder2

I’m glad you enjoyed it! Like you, I have so many questions! I want to explore and read all of the potential stories this world could spin off! I can’t find any other spins offs, but maybe someone knows.

I think you’re right. I need to know more out the heart. the heart was just a cool concept in general!

:raised_hands: When I think of this story, the first image that comes to mind is the honey roasted turkeys used against the dragonlings! It’s soooo imaginative. It’s something soooo out there that I felt like it could only happen in this story or in Doom Patrol :laughing:.

I feel the exact same way. What is Tarkington’s deal?! I think over the years his ambitions may have changed. Although I really want to know more about his story, it was fun in this story to not know everything because I get to keep guessing his motive. I want to read more about him and this universe - and Mog.

I loved Skul!!! chanting “More Skul! More Skul!”

yes. And it’s just sooo interesting. Science vs Magic. A villain that I don’t quite understand - which makes him even more compelling.
This is one I could read a few times. But I do wish there were more to issue explore this world. As far as kicking off a new universe, this one was pretty fun to me!

So glad you enjoyed it, and I’m happy to be able to discuss it with you.
Thank you reading and sharing your thoughts on this unique story.

1 Like

Discussion is open all weekend!

Yes first time.

My favorite issue was either issue 5 or 6 because I really enjoyed learning about Rave’s past and how she became a fleet captain in issue 6 and I enjoyed seeing Skul bezing relentless in issue 5.

I would say the character that stood out the most in these issues was Tarkington. I thought he stood out the most due to his knowledge of the mage world and what was coming and how he made preparations and sacrifices in order for the Pan Galactic Union to have a chance in the upcoming war.

The moment that was the most memorable was seeing Skul take on what seemed like unbelievable odds against her and overcome it time and time again with hardly any assistance and get immunity at the end of issue 5.

1 Like

Hey there! Great to see ya @Lecouch84

Rave and Skul were so fun to read!

Tarkington is such a complex character, in the best way. I want to read more about him. I liked watching the events that let to him becoming a “traitor” in issue 2.

Skul for the win! :star: She made quite an impression on me too.

Thanks for reading along with us and letting us know what you thought of the story.

1 Like