DCU Book Club Week 104: JUSTICE LEAGUE (2016-) Issues 34-38; Sep 7 - Sep 13

“LOST” part one! When the Justice League is confronted by three concurrent threats, a sleep-deprived Batman makes a crucial error that causes an unthinkable—and potentially unforgivable—tragedy. Legendary Eisner Award-nominated writer Christopher Priest (Deathstroke) is joined by artist Pete Woods for a brand-new must-read Justice League story like you’ve never seen before!

Greetings!

Welcome back to another week of DCUBC. I hope you are all staying safe!

This week we are joining the Justice League, as they face off against a powerful enemy. Themselves. This Justice League story is truly unique, and you’re not going to want to miss it.

How to join the fun:

• Start reading here! (DC UNIVERSE INFINITE: Explore the Multiverse)

• :alarm_clock:Read all Five issues between 2020-09-07T05:00:00Z2020-09-13T05:00:00Z :alarm_clock:

• :memo:Tackle the below discussion questions at your leisure:memo:

• :speaking_head:Let us know what you thought of the book as a whole!:speaking_head:

And that’s it! Easy right?

:batman_hv_1:Spoiler discussion begins right now!:superman_hv_1:

:clark_hv_1:Discussion Questions:clark_hv_5:

• Is this your first time reading Justice League (2016-) Issues 34-38?

• What were your expectations prior to reading?

• Which member of the league stood out to you in this book?

• What was your favorite Page or Panel?

Questions, comments, concerns? Feel Free to shoot me a message!

You can find more info on DCUBC Here!

3 Likes

Bookmarked for a Sunday read.

I’m pretty sure I didn’t read this one yet and I am a big Priest fan normally. I really enjoyed a lot of his early 90s mid 90s DC Comics like the Ray, Justice League Task Force, Triumph. I really liked his later take on Black Panther at the end of the nineties.

3 Likes

This looks really cool!

1 Like

Yep. First time reading this storyline.

I was expecting to read at least one, twenty letter word. Clark did not disappoint.
“oinozythestiatoriaon”
I guess this means Clark and Simon’s lunch will be Greek food. :wink:

Their were two actually. Jessica and Victor. But if I’m choosing just one, I’m going with Victor/Cyborg. Starting with overriding Batman’s orders in the first book, to the conversations with Glenn/Gammeron about leadership, which he pondered on later, and learning of his cloaking ability to assume full human form. I hadn’t seen that from Cyborg before. I wondered if that had anything to do with the conversation he had with Glenn about his choice of appearance while assuming human form.

I’m a sucker for the comedic moments in a story, and while Simon had several while contemplating what lunch with Supes meant, and the classic of Batman surprising someone (Jessica in this instance) by simply appearing from the shadows, I gotta go with Flash on this one. While hyper-calculating every move while in space, he acknowledged that physics doesn’t always apply in the life of a superhero.

One last thing, the story of The Fan reminds me of a movie I once saw with Wesley Snipes and Robert De Niro, which was coincidentally called, The Fan.

2 Likes

LOVED his work on Black Panther!

1 Like

Same. Cyborg stole the show for me. I’m not a big Borg fan but really loved him here (and in the rest of Priest’s run)

1 Like

I believe that was established in his New 52 book he had shortly before Rebirth started, with I think David Walker writing and Ivan Reis drawing.

1 Like

Yes first time.

My expectations were and exciting read and wondering how much Bruce messed up

Have to go with Simon because I haven’t read about him much and this was a good introduction to his character.

My favorite moment was when the League was trying to find the cockroach and Barry was explaining everything in scientific terms and Simon kept saying speak English.

2 Likes

Just started this. I’m going to try to balance reading this with finishing up DC Fandome this fine Sunday (along with Zoom meeting church etc). I’m assuming all three will be mind boggling experiences. For starters, there’s no humanly way possible to view even a third of DC Fandome in a 24-hour period, lol.

I’m already amused that Mr. Priest has the artist setting up the panels just like he did with Black Panther (and Quantum and Woody, etc) with the title of a single page, lots of dark background for the page title etc.

Ahhh that had me laughing!

1 Like

Very similar to his work with Deathstroke also. Love his style

1 Like

The dilemma of being involved in rescue services like being a fireman or ambulance paramedic and realizing that sometimes no matter what you do you can’t win all the time is definitely well presented here in this one. Batman has someone die on his watch when he’s in charge because he misheard something and that can happen and does all the time in real life emergency services. Question is, what do you do after that, do you quit or you keep going and learn to live with the mistakes?

1st time reading

Honestly no expectations except it would be more cerebral / introspective than the usual big action JLA fare.

The member (s) who stuck out were Simon / Jessica. I miss Humphries Green Lanterns a lot!

Fav page- the Flash in space finding out quickly outer space is not a good fit for a Speed Force guy.

First time reading!

I didn’t know what to expect.

Aquaman stood out because I liked his long hair in this arc.

These panels made me smile or laugh:

You can take a man out of Smallville, but you can’t take the Smallville out of the man. This line was endearing:
JL 2016 38 Clarkisms

Snow globe Batman :laughing:

I’m guessing he’s referring to Matt Damon’s line in The Martian :laughing: (I love that book and movie.)

Loved the art in this series!

Thanks for a great pick! @MattMcDonald

2 Likes