DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 99 NAOMI (2019-) Issues 1-6, Aug 3-9

”DC’s biggest, newest mystery starts here! When a fight between Superman and Mongul crashes into a small Northwestern town, Naomi (last name?) begins a quest to uncover the last time a super-powered person visited her home—and how that might tie into her own origins and adoption. Follow Naomi’s journey on a quest that will take her to the heart of the DC Universe and unfold a universe of ideas and stories that have never been seen before. Join writers Brian Michael Bendis, David Walker and breakout artist Jamal Campbell in Wonder Comics’ massively ambitious new series and star…NAOMI.”

Greetings,

Thanks for stopping by for dcubc-girl-power! Every character has a beginning, this is Naomi’s. The possibilities of where she can go and how she will impact the DC Universe are limitless! Welcome to the DC Universe Naomi!

:busts_in_silhouette: HOW TO JOIN THE FUN!

• Read the story between Monday, August 3, 2020 and Sunday, August 9, 2020.

• Reply your answers to the discussion questions, share your thoughts about the story, or both!

• Have fun discussing the book with the community. All are welcome to join, just jump right in!

:rotating_light: Our SPOILER discussion begins NOW.

:books: What to Read :books:

NAOMI (2019-) Issues 1-6

:milky_way: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS :milky_way:

1. Is this your first time reading Naomi?

2. What did you think of Annabelle’s reaction to Naomi’s big news?

3. Which DC character(s) do you want to see Naomi interact with?

4. What was your favorite moment in the story?

We’d love to hear your general reactions to and thoughts about the story - and see your favorite panels!

:incoming_envelope: Questions? Concerns? Feel free to send me a direct message.

Click here to learn more about DCU Book Club (DCUBC).

Happy Reading!

5 Likes

Can’t wait to re read this one! The art is amazing! And Naomi is an awesome new character!

1 Like

Will be joining for this, this is one I have been meaning to read. This is a perfect time to finally do so.

1 Like

Does anyone know when the next issue comes out?

1 Like

They’ve said that this series was a six part “first season,” with a Naomi: Season 2 coming out at a later point. She does show up a few other places later on, notably Superman and in Young Justice.

1 Like

The art is fantastic! Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the re-read!

Hi! @CassTheStreet :blue_heart:

Great to see you and I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Naomi!

1 Like

Hi and welcome @cletus1980.24800 Jay_Kay has provided some background information for your question.

Thank you @jay_kay for the helpful reply! I always appreciate it when you bring great info to the discussions! - thanks again!

I hope you’re all having a great start to the weekend!

Discussion for Naomi is open through Sunday night :milky_way:

It feels amazing to actually be able to take part in one of these book talks! Hope you don’t mind me popping in, but I just happened to pick up this title at random last week.

1. Yes, first time reader! Also my first DC Bendis read.
  2. I loved it! Given the world these characters inhabit, it’s not unthinkable for those with superpowers to exist, so I was thrilled that a lifetime of friendship overcame any fear or judgment Annabelle could have harbored toward Naomi’s roots. And it’s such a breath of fresh air to see how pure Annabelle is about her friend’s newfound powers, too. No jealousy, and she seemed sincerely happy for her.
  3. I’m not sure where she’s hanging these days (or if she’s even still alive :sweat_drops:), but Jessica Cruz.
  4. The conversation with Dee before her mom busted in and started whaling on him. He was more of a gentle giant than I expected, and the expressive artwork — Naomi’s desperation, and his regret that he wasn’t who she wanted him to be — made for a memorable scene. For me, at least.

And I thought all the art was gorgeous, though I’m not a fan of/a little distracted by the thick outline used around the characters.

2 Likes
  1. This was my first time reading Naomi and I really enjoyed it. I read all the issues available on DCU in one seating.
  2. I thought Annabelle’s reaction was a bit slow in my opinion. The revelation to Annabelle felt a bit rushed for me.
  3. I will like her to interact with Wonder Woman, maybe? I don’t know. I kinda like her story evolving by itself apart from other storylines.
  4. Hard to choose ! I’ve liked the whole run so far. Maybe the battle when they found her and Dee and her dad were like what now? I thought it was an interesting twist and revelation moment.

I’m excited to keep reading the series and check out where Naomi continues to go

3 Likes

Hi and welcome @CynicalPink!

Cool!

:clap: Yes! So much yes - I agree. It was beautiful to see how solid their friendship was.

Cool pick - that would be fun to read.

I was on the edge of my seat through their whole conversation. And I too was surprised by his gentle giant nature.

I loved the art too.

Thanks for dropping in and sharing your thoughts and reflections with us! :blue_heart:

1 Like

Hi and welcome! @marnett

I’m so happy you enjoyed it! I re-read them all in one sitting too -it really propels itself from issue 1-6. I read them issue by issue when it first came out and it was so hard to wait for each issue!

I would love to see a lot more of Annabelle and how her friendship with Naomi plays a role in Naomi’s new journey.

I like it too. I do hope she gets to meet Superman. Wonder Woman would be fantastic!

I’m glad there were many favorite moments to choose from. That was a great twist!

Same!

Thanks so much for reading along and letting us know what you thought of the story! :blue_heart:

1 Like

● 1. I read Naomi as it came out. One of my favorites at that time.

■2. It’s likely the reaction I, and most people TBH, would have. Apropos for the situation.

○ 3. I’d be down for seeing her interact with Warlord, especially since Young Justice was recently in Skartaris.

□ 4. It doesn’t involve Naomi herself, but the opening of the first issue. That slugfest between Mongul and Superman was artistically tasty.

Naomi’s a rad book! Easily my second favorite Wonder Comics title after Young Justice. Thanks for highlighting it, @JLWWSM! :metal:t2:

3 Likes

Hey there @Vroom great to see ya!

Ouuu nice! I know very little about Warlord, he has a strong name.

:laughing: yes!, yes it was.

You’re very welcome! Thanks for joining the discussion. :blue_heart:

3 Likes
  1. Is this your first time reading Naomi ?

There’s a little funny story to this. So when this was first assigned last month, I remembered that I had previously bought the six issues on sale in Comixology. So when that came up, I thought “Hey, good excuse to finally get my money’s worth and read it!”

I figured I would just read the first issue and go on to something else…ended up reading it all in one sitting. :laughing:

1. What did you think of Annabelle’s reaction to Naomi’s big news?

Pretty understandable. I think even in a world where superpowers and such aren’t really uncommon, you’d never expect someone you know to be part of it all!

1. Which DC character(s) do you want to see Naomi interact with?

Since their origins have quite a bit in common, I’d love to see her interact with Superman and his extended family.

1. What was your favorite moment in the story?

I think when the real talk about the origins came out. As I was reading I was equal parts intrigued and frustrated: like “okay, now we got what’s really going on with Nao–wait, no?” This happened almost once an issue, really.

3 Likes

Yes first time reading this series and have been wanting to read it for some time but kept putting it off.

I think she took it very well from supporting her, to understanding her, to the just being there for her friend and not to mention that she understood everything pretty much without it being repeated.

Some characters that I would like to see Naomi have some page time with are Adam Strange, either Hawkman or Hawkgirl or Green Lantern.

My favorite moments were any time Naomi dad and Dee we’re trying to one up each other

Naomi showing off her powers

or her taking on Zumbado

So glad I finally go around to reading this series and I’m looking forward to seeing where her story goes next.

3 Likes
  1. Is this your first time reading Naomi ?
    Yes & I loved it. Hope that 2nd season happens. Cannot wait for more.

2. What did you think of Annabelle’s reaction to Naomi’s big news?
    The conversation between Annabelle and Naomi about the “big” news is my favorite part of the story. Both Naomi’s telling of the story and Annabelle’s reaction seemed real to me…they way two teenagers would speak and react. Even the fact that Naomi had to tell her best friend was very real. Also, the conversation was funny.

3. Which DC character(s) do you want to see Naomi interact with?
    Stargirl - There are some similarities and differences in both characters. Would be nice to see how that plays out. Or maybe the show is on my mind too much.
    Superman & Supergirl - somewhat obvious. Still nice to Naomi receive support from them given the similarities in their stories.
    Wonderwoman - Because Diana is a good mentor to have.

4. What was your favorite moment in the story?
    As previously stated, the conversation between Naomi and Annabelle at the end is my favorite. My second favorite is the conversation between Naomi and her parents about her background. Several good and funny moments in that conversation too.

Again, loved the story & cannot wait for more.

2 Likes

Yes, I had been interested in reading it for a long time. Felt like the erfect time to finally do so.

It seemed a little more human than I am used to comics portraying. In a Superman world, her reaction seemed very appropriate. It appeared to be coming from a true unconditional love.

The character that kept coming to mind was my old moniker, Princess Amethyst. Their stories seem very similar in some regards and vastly different in others. I think they would be able to be good friends. I looked at the character history and there is a chance that I might be able to actually see this interaction, as it appears Naomi goes to Young Justice where Amethyst has been a main player. Wonder if they did interact and how that went. Seems like I know another title I am going to have to read!

Honestly, it was Dee’s reveal and all that lead up to it. I just naturally saw this big character and was like “BAD GUY” but then there was this moment where he didn’t want to talk about his relationship. He suddenly felt “human” even if he isn’t. That was the beauty of the first several issues for me, this story felt more humanistic then a lot of other comics. The ending did feel a bit rushed through though. Suddenly we had the big bad and then boom it says Naomi 2, which hasn’t came out or even been discussed as far as I can tell. Instead the character kinda got shuffled around into other titles. Every single element of this book though I found pleasant. The artwork was right on, even if like someone else pointed out the outlines were a bit thick in spots. The characters had distinct personalities, which can be hard to do in print. I also loved the connection to the different elements of the DC Universe, such as Rann and Thanagar. I wish there were more of this to read, but I do think I will follow through on reading her Young Justice appearances. It also appears she was featured in a few Action Comics issues and at least one Superman. I will say though, when I saw the weird emblem, I thought she was about to be revealed as a black lantern or something from Blackest Night. It is similar to that emblem. There were so many great elements to this, I feel like I could go on and on about it.

2 Likes

The page you posted was actually a moment where I chuckled out loud while reading the series. I read them pretty quickly in succession of each other. When I got to that particular moment, I knew that these were characters I actually liked and felt were written more human than other comic book characters in this day and age. They both wanted Naomi to be trained well and it felt like it came from a legit place of love. Great choice of a moment.

#Same

2 Likes