DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 87 HUNTRESS in BATMAN/HUNTRESS: CRY FOR BLOOD (2000-) Issues 1-6, May 11-17

”The origin of the Huntress is revealed as she teams up with the Question to discover the secrets of her family’s mobster past.”

Greetings,

Thanks for stopping by for dcubc-girl-power! We’re heading to Gotham and Sicily, to spend time with fiercely determined, cross-bow wielding, Helena Bertinelli, AKA, Huntress. This story covers her origin as well as her relationship with the Bat-family.

“Caught in a struggle between her rage and her role as a DC Super Hero, Huntress has come to represent the darker shades of gray in Gotham.” - DCU Encyclopedia/Huntress

:busts_in_silhouette: HOW TO JOIN THE FUN!

• Read the story between Monday, May 11, 2020 and Sunday, May 17, 2020.

• Reply your answers to the discussion questions, share your thoughts about the story, or both!

• Have fun discussing the book with the community. All are welcome to join, just jump right in!

:rotating_light: Our SPOILER discussion begins NOW.

:books: What to Read :books:

BATMAN/HUNTRESS: CRY FOR BLOOD (2000-) Issues 1-6

:bow_and_arrow: :bat: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Is this your first time reading Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood?

2. What surprised you the most in the story?

3. What do you think of Helena/Huntress?

4. Who was your favorite supporting character?

We’d love to hear your general reactions to and thoughts about the story - and your favorite panels!

:bulb: Wanna learn more about Huntress? Check out the DCU Encyclopedia

:incoming_envelope: Questions? Concerns? Feel free to send me a direct message.

Click here to learn more about DCU Book Club (DCUBC).

Happy Reading!

5 Likes

I’m looking forward to this. This was one of my favs back in the day

3 Likes

Great story, I remember reading this early on when I was first getting into comics and coming to really liking the character of Huntress from it, as well as Gail Simone’s Birds of Prey.

2 Likes

Hi @TheLastGL and @Jay_Kay
Fantastic! Can’t wait to hear more of your thoughts on the book. I’m curious if you’ll notice anything different upon a re-read. Welcome! :blue_heart:

This story is powerfully told from Huntress’s point of view.

From Issue 1:

1 Like

This was my first time reading a Huntress stand alone comic. Now that I have read this one I want to read more! I find her character compelling, especially since she is out for vengeance but also kind of wants to be a “good guy”.
I liked Question, he is an interesting dude. I like the tension between the two of them and how he is trying to help her to move forward, to breath.
The ending… hmm I get why she couldn’t do it but at the same time I was kind of hoping she would. I do like how she went about it, especially since the bastard had it coming.

1 Like

Hi and welcome! @Rationally

She is very compelling, driven and precise. When she appears in a story, I know things are going to a new level!

I enjoyed the Question a lot in this story. Their relationship brought a vulnerability to him, her and to the story overall. I was completely surprised by it too. I didn’t think we’d see a budding romance in this story.

ha! Yeah, I didn’t feel sorry for him at all. He had it coming!

Thanks for reading along and letting us know your thoughts. :smiley:

1 Like

Nope, I read this when it came out and many times since.

What always surprised me about this story is how it manages not to feel like a Godfather ripoff as so many mob stories end up doing. It certainly borrowed from the story and shares some imagery but it always comes across as Helenas story and not a Corliogne ripoff.

I’ve always found Huntress to be one of the most critically under utilized members of the bat family. I have long appreciated that she comes at her crime fighting different from the rest of them, she has her own methods and her own goals and she doesn’t fell like she needs their help and or permission. I think that Batwoman shares a lot of these traits which may explain why DC has not been as fond of using Helena as much in recent years and instead has focused more on her Earth 2 counterpart.

The Question, obviously.

I believe that one of the best parts of this story is something that DC does not do as much as they used to. While it can still be argued that DC is very Bat focused, they used to be more willing to use that in the way they did in this story. That is, put Bats on the cover but allow him to play only a supporting role and not even the biggest supporting role. This is something I do not see them doing as much anymore and it’s a shame because it is a great way to attract readers and to let them get to really know some of the lesser known characters. I mean can anyone see DC putting out a book now that Bats doesn’t appear at alll I the issue and Richard Dragon is a staring character? I don’t think so and that’s a shame.

Anyways, great pick and a great read. Till next week…

1 Like

Hi :slight_smile: @TheLastGL

That’s a great point!

:astonished: I didn’t think to compare her to Batwoman until I read your statement. They do have a similar traits!

Well said! I was surprised - and glad- that Batman wasn’t used more. Helena’s narrative was so compelling. The story had the perfect amount of Batman and the Batfamily - without taking away from Helena’s story. I wish they’d take this approach more often too.

Thanks for joining in for a re-read and sharing your reactions. I’m happy you enjoyed it!

Yes first time reading and I enjoyed it a lot.

I was most surprised by the fact that her mother had an affair and that she wasn’t a Bertinelli. Another surprise was when The Question first showed up without his mask on. Another suppose was how the story ended. I was kind of surprised that it ended like that because I could of read at least another issue.

I enjoyed seeing her more as Helena and trying to find out the mystery to her being framed and solving it that way than just seeing Huntress going and using all her skills and saving the day.

It’s gotta be The Question. I enjoyed seeing Batman, Robin, Nightwing, and Richard Dragon but The Question was always the one person who always was on her side and believed that she hadn’t killed anyone and also believed that she would do the right thing in the end. I don’t know if the story could of ended in a way that didn’t have Casamento being killed. The relationship between Helena and Vic in this story reminded me a lot of the relationship they had in Justice League Unlimited series.

Another great pick and I’m looking forward to reading next weeks pick.

1 Like

Hey there! @Lecouch84

Same here on all of it! There were so many surprises. This story kept me on my toes.

Well said! I enjoyed seeing more of Helena too. Especially in Sicily.

The Question was such a treat in this story!

I’m happy you enjoyed it! As always, thanks for joining in!

1 Like