DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 69 BLACK CANARY (2009) #1-4, Jan 6 - Jan 12

(thinks about my own list of “mind-boggling and makes no sense” past relationships…)

Well, that’s what love is: mind-boggling and makes no sense. :laughing: It just IS.

I’m really sorry you didn’t enjoy this one, as always, thanks reading and sharing of your thoughts!

1 Like

Fair point. And saying it just IS makes me imagine Darkseid as one of those relationship experts on the radio. :laughing:

3 Likes

No, I read this when it came out, but I can’t remember if I bothered to read the whole thing or not.

I really have no idea. Maybe old Justice League of America comics. I first really got to know the character in JLI.

I’ll echo the others and say the finale on the boat. I really liked when she’s in Merlin’s face and starts humming.

I also liked when she pointed out to Ollie that, yeah, he’s a way better fighter nowadays but she’s still her, so…

Overall, it may just be a question of what I’m used to, but I think they belong together. They just got and always feels contrived when they’re split.

That but with Ollie that I mention above, I guess, but, truthfully nothing really sticks out. This mini is just really generic. I remembered that it involved Sin but little else, and I don’t think I’m going to remember it a few years from now either. The whole story seems like just a way to get rid of Sin before the marraige.

Does Sin ever show up again? What became of her?

Hey there @ralphsix! Glad to see ya’ :smiley:

LOL. Same. I chucked at this moment too :laughing:

I like their dynamic. I hope we get to see them in live action on the big screen soon.

Good question! I’m not sure.

Thanks for re-reading along and letting us know what you think of the story!

2 Likes

I don’t think Sin was ever addressed again, especially since not that long after this, we had a bigger kid controversy in the GA verse in the form of the death of Lian Harper.

If I remember right, in the Arrow TV show, the girl that was Sara’s sort of ward in the second season had the nickname of Sin.

3 Likes

That’s right, but other than the name I didn’t see any other connections to this Sin

3 Likes

It’s been a while, but after about 4 months of a break from DC Universe, I’m finally back, and doing my favorite thing on the platform, the DC Book Club! And what a week to come back on, not mentioning it’s week 69. :wink:

• Is this your first time reading Black Canary 2007?
    Yes

• What was your first exposure to Black Canary?
    This comic is definitely not my first exposure to her. I’ve read multiple of her comics, mostly because of this club. Not only in comics, but also in games like Injustice 2.

• What was the most memorable fight scene to you?
    Definitely the most memorable one was Black Canary completely destroying everyone in her path at the end of Issue 4. It really showed how frustrated and angry she was about the ‘death’ of Sin.

• What do you think of Black Canary and Green Arrow as a couple overall?
    I think its a match made in heaven. This couple is definitely comparable to a couple to the likes of Superman and Lois Lane or Barry Allen and Iris West. I’ve never read or seen a form of this couple in ANY form of media. So as you can tell, I really liked it.

• What was your favorite moment?
    I really liked when Black Canary was reading the truth about what happened to Sin. First of all, i didn’t see it coming, and second of all, it felt really emotional and real.

Overall, an 8.5/10 series. There was a lot of good, and I would probably read it again. Can’t wait for next week!

2 Likes

2 Likes

Welcome back @FlashPoint0909 we missed you!

That made my day! Thank you so much :blue_heart: So glad to hear you enjoy it.

I’m glad you had a chance to see them. They’re my favorite hot-mess-that-loves-each-other couple. They crack me up :laughing:

My heart was racing fast and my eyes watered when I read that part of the story. I was so surprised and relieved.

Thanks for joining in to share your thoughts and we look forward to hearing more of your thoughts soon :smiley:

Yes this is the first time reading this series.

I believe my first exposure to Black Canary was in the JLU animated series.

The most memorable fight scene was Sin talking on the League of Assassins. I think it was interesting to see her actually fight in this series and also for us to wonder what she would of been like as the next Lady Shiva.

I think that they just work well as a couple. They always seem to have each others back. They seem to put each other first for the most part and no matter what happens they always find their way back to one another.

My favorite moment was

or seeing all the different characters hat I wasn’t expecting to show up like Wonder Woman, The Flash and Batman.

2 Likes

Hi @Lecouch84 !

:exploding_head: Great point! If Sin was that good as a kid, I can’t imagine her as a adult fighter. My favorite fight was Sin vs. the mean kids in the jungle gym. I wanted to feel bad for them, but… they were mean! :laughing: maybe next time they think before they say mean stuff.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The parachute Arrow was really fun. I didn’t expect to see WW, Batman, or the Flash either. I love cameos.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

1 Like

I liked her restraint in that scene, really. She could have bloodied the kids up; instead, she took it out on the jungle gym around 'em!

1 Like

Ah this was so good! Great pick JL!

1. Yep!
  2. Probably the old Justice League cartoon? I think it had to be one of the animated shows. I’ve loved her ever since.
  3. Definitely the last one. With Merilyn and Dinah. This moment rules. So visceral!
  4. I love them. My favorite DC couple. They are great here of course. Their relationship is all about patience and that comes through here. They are both so hot headed.
  5. Ollie with all of his arrows laid out looking through them had me in hysterics!
2 Likes

Heya! @MattMcDonald

:rofl: Great moment!

The art in the fight scenes was really good. It conveyed the emotion and the fighting skills.

Glad you liked it! Looks like most were introduced to her in the JL animated series. It’s really cool to see the impact of that show when it came to introducing characters.

This was a very cohesive fast romp of a 4 issue mini-series. While Tony Bedard is one of my favorite writers over the past 3 decades, I don’t normally think of him as a “street crime level” sorta writer, he’s usually more Cosmic dude with stuff like Green Lantern Corp; or Cross Gen’s The Negation. But he wrote this as tightly as a Sylvester Stalloneaction thriller.

1. I believe this is my first time reading this.

2. Here’s my first exposure to Black Canary in the 1960s around when it was published I guess, I was still a kid; like Ollie, it was actually her Mommy I was reading about from Earth 2
    (also the background for my profile here):

Sady this and the issue following still have never been digitized or even republished anywhere (except by pirates)

3. Most memorable fight scene is a tough one- I’ll say that encounter between Canary, GA and "Kobra…hsss.

4. Black Canary and Green Arrow as a couple: like WW said, it’s obvious to everyone but them. Our kids claim my wife and I are the “Bickerings”; we don’t feel that way, year 46 is at the end of the month, but feisty can work to keep things entertaining, and at least you are airing things out instead of just holding it all inside to fester…

5. Fav moment:another tough one to choose from, but this scene where Sin captures Ollie’s compassion and heart brought a smile to my face:

1 Like

Hi! @Don-El

It was super cool to read your history of reading her mom in the 60s. Thanks for sharing that and for sharing the cover. It’s amazing to me that everything hasn’t been digitized yet. Hopefully one day it will all be digitized.

I agree and congrats on the upcoming 46th anniversary!

Mine too. It was a fun and tender moment.

Thank you for reading along and sharing your thoughts!

1 Like