DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 21: Gotham City Sirens (2009-) Issues 1-6

Welcome back to the Girl Power! edition of the DCU Book Club. Once a month, taking the place of a week of regular book club, we focus on the wonderful ladies of the DCU. Whether they are a hero or a villain, Girl Power! selections are all about them.

:musical_note:BAD GIRLS, BAD GIRLS, WHATCHA GONNA DO? WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THEY COME FOR YOU?!:musical_note:

This week DCUBC is heading to Gotham to see what happens when femme fatales Catwoman, Poison Ivy, and Harley Quinn form an alliance(?), in Paul Dini’s Gotham City Sirens (2009-) Issues 1-6.

Questions of the Week

1. :open_book: Is this your first time reading Gotham City Sirens?

2. :plate_with_cutlery: If you could have dinner with Catwoman, Poison Ivy, or Harley Quinn, who would you pick, and why?

3. :skull_and_crossbones: Who do you think is the most dangerous Gotham City Siren?

Our spoiler discussion kicks off this Friday (February 8th) at 5p.m. EST and lasts all weekend. Feel free to leave spoiler-free thoughts throughout the week.

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me, JLWWSM, on Discord: https://discord.gg/SUs87JP

11 Likes

Swell choice! Regarding your questions:

A. No, I read Gotham City Sirens in its entirety as it was released. It was my third favorite Batman: Reborn title after Detective Comics and Batman. I haven’t owned it for some time though, so revisiting it for this has been fun.

1. You know, I’d probably pick Harley as a dinner buddy. Selina was my first pick, but then I figured that with Harley, she’d be fun to get good and silly with.

C. Most dangerous…Selina. Catwoman isn’t someone to take lightly or underestimate. Ever. She literally has the claws to reinforce those notions too.

I’ve read issues 1 and 2 so far. Highly looking forward to the others!

5 Likes

Awesome @Vroom!

1. I read it recently while doing some research for book club. I’m looking forward to reading it again.

2. I would have dinner with Harley because I’m sure it’ll be exciting - she’s a wildcard.

3. I think Poison Ivy poses the biggest threat when it comes to immediate danger. But if you give Catwoman time to plan, she’ll mess you up - big time!

3 Likes

Looks like fun!

I’ll have to think about the questions a little more.

I see Mr. Dini is joining the DC Daily team for a bit, nice coincidence !!!

2 Likes

Paul Dini is a wonderful human being in all aspects. I’d love to sit down wirh him and talk about his comic book work as well as his experiences at Warner Brothers Animation.

3 Likes
  1. It sure is and I’m very excited!

2. Catwoman for sure. So we can talk about her ongoing romance with Batman. I’m sure she needs to vent!

3. I want to say Harley because she’s so unpredictable but I’m gonna have to go with Poison Ivy. That lady is very scary.

Looking forward to this! Great choice @JLWWSM

4 Likes
  1. Yes it is. Knowing that the movies being made is exciting.

2. Catwoman because she’s the only sane one… and I could kiss her.

3. Poison Ivy because when she goes off, she can practically become Super Swamp Thing

3 Likes

Great choice! Looking forward to going back to this.

1. Yep, I remember reading it all as it came out, but that was a LONG time ago, so it’s likely going to be semi-fresh.

2. On a dinner date, Ivy would be dead last, because, well, I’d likely be dead. Selina has the least chance of it ending fatally, though I don’t know how well we’d gel. Harley might have more in common, but if she doesn’t kill me, her ex will. :fearful:

3. I think in terms of raw power, Ivy is the most dangerous, but without going into spoilers in later parts of the series, there’s a lot more going on in Harley’s mind than Bugs Bunny cartoons and romantic fantasies.

4 Likes

I’ll chime in

Is this your first time reading Gotham City Sirens? No I did read it When it was first released. But unfortunately I am sure I forgot parts so I will have to refresh my memory

Who would I like to have dinner with? Hmmmm. Could I say all three ? It would be one interesting dinner. But I would say Poison Ivy Find her the most interesting but I would have to remember not to order the salad

Who do I believe to be the most dangerous ? I would go with Poison Ivy again. Plant pheromones and one doesn’t mess with the Green.

3 Likes
  1. First time reading this. It’s been on my reading list for a while but never got around to it, so thank you for choosing it this week.

2. I’d choose Harley. I feel like she would be the most fun to hang out with.

3. All 3 are dangerous in their own way but I’ll go with Poison Ivy.

3 Likes

Question #1

This will be my first time reading Gotham City Sirens.

Question #2

They are all very beautiful, but also super-villains!

Definitely not having dinner with Poison Ivy, I like steamed broccoli :broccoli:.

Definitely not having dinner with Harley Quinn, she has some shady friends.

Under protest I would take Catwoman out to dinner. Hopefully, Maybe she wouldn’t lift my wallet and cell phone.

Question #3

No doubt in my mind Poison Ivy is the most Dangerous. She can control plants, vines, roots with her mind to ensnare you with. She can control people too.

3 Likes
  1. First time reading all of these

2. I would be terrified to go out to dinner with any of these three ladies.

3. Poison ivy seems to be the most murderous of the three.

2 Likes

Paul Dini and Misty Lee are going to be regulars on DC Daily starting this month.

4 Likes

Misty Lee, will be there too? The voice of (among others) Big Barda and Red Sonja? I’m there!

5 Likes

Excellent answers! I laughed out loud a few times while readings your responses - this is a fun group. :slight_smile:

It’ll be great to have Paul Dini and Misty Lee on DC Daily.

3 Likes

I bet Harley would start a food fight at dinner…

…all the more reason I’d go to dinner with her :wink:

2 Likes
  1. Yes! I have seen the series here and there, but I’ve never read it

2. Harley Quinn. She would seem like so much fun to hang with!

3. Definitely Poison Ivy. She controls the most dangerous plants on the planet, and have given countless superheroes trouble.

1 Like
  1. I haven’t read this series, looking forward to it.
  2. Harley , because I , would Order a Pizza with her and watch Horror movies and it would be super fun
  3. Poison Ivy, I’ve seen how she can control people and mind control people to do her bidding.
1 Like
  1. First time reading the series, looking forward to it.
  2. I would pick Ivy to have dinner with. I love me some fresh herbs and veggies and I think Ivy could grow the best on the spot.
  3. Gotta go with Ivy for most dangerous as well, she could do some damage with plants and mind control if she really wanted to.
1 Like

I’m glad to have all of you joining for book club this week :slight_smile:

So far, Poison Ivy has the most votes for being the most dangerous. I’ll tally the answers again at the end of this week’s book club.

2 Likes