DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 105 JESSICA CRUZ, GREEN LANTERNS: FIRST RING, 5-issue collection (2016-), Sep 14-20

”When Volthoom, the disgraced first Lantern returns, Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz battle him across time and space.”

Greetings,

Thanks for stopping by for dcubc-girl-power! This week’s 5-issue collection features Jessica Cruz as she trains to be a Green Lantern. Written by the one and only: Sam Humphries! Let’s watch Jessica handle the many challenges headed her way!

:busts_in_silhouette: HOW TO JOIN THE FUN!

• Read the story between Monday, September 14, 2020 and Sunday, September 20, 2020.

• Reply your answers to the discussion questions, share your thoughts about the story, or both!

• Have fun discussing the book with the community. All are welcome to join, just jump right in!

:rotating_light: Our SPOILER discussion begins NOW.

:books: What to Read :books:

GREEN LANTERNS: FIRST RING collection (2016-)

:ring: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS :ring:

1. Is this your first time reading Green Lanterns: First Ring?

2. Which Green Lantern would you want to train you?

3. What do you like about Jessica Cruz?

4. What was the standout moment or panel in the story for you?

We’d love to hear your general reactions to and thoughts about the story - and see your favorite panels!

:incoming_envelope: Questions? Concerns? Feel free to send me a direct message.

Click here to learn more about DCU Book Club (DCUBC).

Happy Reading!

4 Likes

Yes, more Jess! Just read Green Lanterns #15 two nights ago as suggested by @jasontodd428. It nearly made me cry.

1 Like

Whoohoo! :partying_face:

1 Like

I added a link to this in the Characters of DC September topic since Jess was one of the characters we covered this month. Hope you don’t mind.

I might pop onto the discussion here as well of I get the time.

2 Likes

Hi! @JasonTodd428

I don’t mind at all! I’m happy it synched up :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi! @JLWWSM. Hope all is well with you.

Yeah, our theme this month is focused on some of the great women characters DC has so it does somewhat dovetail with your club. :grin:

Also an extra plug for your extraordinary club never hurts.

2 Likes

Yep, first time. I do have Green Lanterns Rebirth lined up in my queue.

Obviously Kilowog, but I’m guessing this question is aimed toward Guy or Kyle. It may sound funny, but I think I would choose Guy of the two. Someone pushing me, telling me I can’t do it is all the motivation I need to get anything done.

She playful, like a kid. She’s grateful to those around her; Simon, the Corp, Justice League, her sister and even Crouton. What I do know of her, which isn’t a lot, is that she wants to improve, to be better, not only as a Lantern, but life in general. And she’s no quitter, even if she lacks the courage at times . She overcomes, and I guess that’s why she has a ring.

Best line, by far, is from Jessica after punching Guy.

Another standout moment was Kilowog explaining to Jess that her willpower is always with her, whether she can feel it or not.

1 Like

Aww shucks, thank you @JasonTodd428 ! I think all the clubs are unique and well run. This community is amazing. :blue_heart:

1 Like

Hi @bcarder2

Fantastic!

:laughing: It’s amazing how motivating that can be!

I really like that about her too.

:clap: Yes! So much yes! She inspires me so much.

When she has more experience than at this point in the book, I would want her to be my Green Lantern trainer.

:rofl: Yes! I also thought it was funny that Guy didn’t turn her in for the punch. I think he didn’t want to have to admit she punched him.

Thanks so much for reading along and sharing your reflections on the book and on Jessica Cruz!

1 Like

When I first read this I was really surprised that Guy didn’t report her for that since he’s always been sort of a jerk. You’re probably right about him not wanting to admit she punched him though. I could see that being the case anyway.

Also did anyone else give a mental “Yes!” when Jess punched him? I sure did.

2 Likes

Yes! Guy needed a good punch :laughing:

Actually, now that I think about it I may have actually shouted that “Yes” out loud.

No it’s not my first time reading this. I read it when it first came out and enjoyed it a lot. This story really cemented Jessica as my favorite GL.

Kilowog without a doubt. Although of your talking about Kyle and Guy as the only choices I would probably pick Kyle. Guy reminds me of a former co-worker whom I was always at loggerheads with. I think Kyle would be a better teacher for me.

I love her spirit and her tenacity. There is an inner strength to her that she maybe doesn’t realise she has at this point because of her overwhelming PTSD issues.

The one where she punches Guy is the panel that stood out most to me.

2 Likes

That’s cool!

I liked how Kyle challenged Simon to think outside of the box. [quote=“JasonTodd428, post:12, topic:1361153”]
There is an inner strength to her that she maybe doesn’t realise she has at this point because of her overwhelming PTSD issues.
[/quote]

Totally agree!

:laughing: nice pick

Thank you for reading along and discussing the book!

I’m a brand new DC Book Club member but am excited to be here. Thanks for creating this and looking forward to discussing DC comics with all you and an expanding universe starting in 2021 when DC Universe Infinite goes global!

To answer a Discussion Question right out of the box:

1. I’ve never read this five story arc and in fact don’t think I’ve read more than a handful of books that involved Jessica Cruz in any way. I’m a Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, Guy Gardner and John Stewart fan so I’m excited to learn more about a new (to me) Green Lantern.
2 Likes

Welcome! @FelixLeiter

I’m also looking forward to the global expansion!

I’m glad you’ll get read more of Jessica Cruz with us! It’s always exciting to learn more about a new character. Happy Reading :open_book: :smiley:

1 Like

I liked that too. Simon really needed to learn that.

You’re welcome! I hope hope you didn’t mind the visit. :grinning:

I am too.

1 Like

The more merrier! It’s always a treat to hear your reflections on a book!

1 Like

It was nice change of pace to participate in a club. I don’t often have a chance to with my work schedule being as it is right now.

1 Like

Yes first time.

Obviously everyone wants to be trained by Kilowog but out of the two Lanterns that trained Jessica and Simon I would probably go with Kyle because sometimes you have to use unconventional means to get out of a situation that you are stuck in.

I really liked her sense of wonder as she flew around the universe and arrived on Oa. I think being outside of ones own galaxy would be pretty awesome but also kind of unnerving at the same time.

The moment that stood out for me was

because it would be so cool to see all those Green Lanterns flying around for the first time and knowing this is where you belong.

2 Likes

Hey there! @Lecouch84

Everyone except me is picking Kilowog as their trainer :laughing: . I think that’s a great point about Kyle.

Nice pick! That was a well-written and illustrated sequence. We really got to see it and feel it through her eyes.

:green_heart: awesome!

Great to see ya’! As always, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book.

1 Like