DCU Book Club 96: ALL STAR BATMAN (2016-) Issues 1 - 5; July 13 - July 19

“My Own Worst Enemy” part one! Superstar writer Scott Snyder explodes into an all-new Batman series alongside legendary artist John Romita Jr., reimagining some of the Dark Knight’s greatest villains. First up: Two-Face! Batman must take Two-Face to a destination out of Gotham City, but the duplicitous villain has a two of spades up his sleeve. Every assassin, bounty hunter and ordinary citizen with something to hide is on their tails with one goal: kill Batman! Handcuffed together on the road to hell, this is Batman and Two-Face as you’ve never seen them before!

Greetings!

This week here at DCUBC we are hitting the road! Join us as we take a trip with the dynamic duo, Batman & Two Face. You read that right! All Star Batman: My Own Worst Enemy is a book you are not going to want to miss!

How to join the fun:

*Start reading here! (DC UNIVERSE INFINITE: Explore the Multiverse)

• :alarm_clock:Read all five issues between 2020-07-13T05:00:00Z2020-07-19T05:00:00Z :alarm_clock:

• :memo:Tackle the below discussion questions at your leisure:memo:

• :speaking_head:Let us know what you thought of the book as a whole!:speaking_head:

And that’s it! Easy right?

:batman_hv_1:Spoiler discussion begins right now!:superman_hv_1:

:clark_hv_1:Discussion Questions:clark_hv_5:

• Is this your first time reading All Star Batman: My Own Worst Enemy?

• What were your expectations prior to reading?

• What did you think of Two Face?

• What was your favorite Page or Panel?

Questions, comments, concerns? Feel Free to shoot me a message!

You can find more info on DCUBC Here!

1 Like

Scott Snyder Batman at DCUBC!

This is a fun one, can’t wait to hear what everyone thinks!

1 Like

Unfortunately, I have read it already, and I quickly discovered that it was one that I wanted to miss. Some of the later stories in this series (specifically, the Alfred-centric one) are okay, but this one was a slog. Then again, everyone knows that I disliked Snyder’s run on Batman, so…

1 Like

I’m looking forward to this :smiley:

• I haven’t read it before.
  • My expectations are that since it’s “all star” we’re going to see some cool supporting characters and villains.

I’ll answer the remaining questions after I read it.

I’ve always wanted to read this!

1 Like

I meme with love. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can’t wait to hear what you think!

BLASPHEMY!

I’ve grown to accept that my opinions on Batman are controversial. :stuck_out_tongue:

(insert rant against Jeph Loeb)

1 Like

Happy Friday folks! Hope you all are staying healthy!

1 Like

Sunday Sunday Sunday! Make sure you swing by and let us know what you thought of this week’s selection. Discussion lasts until Midnight!

1 Like

Yes first time reading this series.

My expectations were that we would get to see some great cameos form some of Batman’s rogue gallery.

Two Face was conniving and a great villain to showcase in this first few issues.

My favorite panel was

this moment showed that even if everyone knows about Bruce being Batman that they would have a hard time proving that it is actually true.

Well, I tried to give it a second chance. The basic premise is fine enough, but the execution irks me to no end. The non-linear storytelling accomplishes very little other than trying my patience. Snyder’s characterization of Two-Face feels all wrong. And then there’s his annoying take on Batman:

ASB 1 Moths

Can someone please punch Bruce in the face for me? I’ve had enough of his endless discussions of animal trivia. (See also his musings on the habits of owls.)

• Is this your first time reading All Star Batman: My Own Worst Enemy?

Nope – I got it in hardcover around the time it came out.

• What were your expectations prior to reading?

I figured it would be an interesting Batman vs Two-Face story, but I didn’t expect how crazy and mad cap it would be. Moments like Batman using the chainsaw and some the crazy tools he has around his costume were rather surprising. Three Words: Bat. Ear. Knives.

I also really liked Duke in these issues, both in the main story and in the back-up story.

• What did you think of Two Face?

It’s an interesting tweak on the character. I like how they add this twisted information broker/blackmailer side to him without invalidating some of the more standard Two-Face stories from the past. I also like that they at least nod to the story in Batman & Robin where he seemingly committed suicide.

It definitely gives Two-Face a more unique twist and can tell some interesting stories of crime and corruption with it. Sadly though, I get the feeling that this take won’t stick.

• What was your favorite Page or Panel?

Like I said, chainsaw Batman.