DC's Starting to Announce Post Future State Lineup

I am excited for Superman/Batman and Detective Comics. Great creative teams. I’m happy that they’re adding in new talent on main titles but what about established writers that are currently working on projects? Are they just not announcing that yet? I am really interested with what Bendis is doing post Superman or what other bigger names like King, Snyder, and Johns are doing. So far the only creative team pre future state that are still confirmed to be staying is Tynion/Jimenez on Batman. I am happy about this change but just wondering what some of my favorite writers are doing. Maybe it’s just limiteds and events which is fine too.

1 Like

Yeah, I think King has said that he’s only doing his twelve-issue maxis right now. I’m sure he has other projects coming, but they probably won’t be announced until some of his current ones are over.

Snyder has flat out said that after Death Metal he’s not going to be doing any big event comics for a while. It sounds like he’s focusing a lot on creator-owned stuff like Nocterra over at Image. But it sounds like he’s not done with DC, because he also talked about pitching a Nightwing story for Black Label.

As for Johns, I think he doesn’t have any DC comics productions going on for a while. He actually recently announced doing his first work at Image in 2021 with Gary Frank called “Geiger.”

Bendis is an interesting one, because while he’s done with Superman, it’s likely he’ll still be on Legion of Super Heroes. I think it’s likely that we’ll get a Naomi Season 2 from him this year, especially if the TV show gets made. Maybe he could go on another book like Shazam?

4 Likes

Yeah. I guess the big names are stepping back and letting new talent take over the big titles. I do think Bendis said he’s not done with Superman but I guess that wasn’t announced yet.

3 Likes

Batman / Superman is the one I am most excited about right now. Gene Luen Yang has impressed me on everything I have read of his. Reis is just great. I also love seeing what people can do with the very creepy Professor Pyg, and the opening story arc featuring him is a plus.

I am also potentially intrigued by Harley Quinn’s new title. The Martian Manhunter series turned me into a very big Riley Rossmo fan, so I might be checking that out just because of his art.

3 Likes

If you want to see Rossmo doing some Harley, he actually drew and wrote a story for Harley Quinn: Black + White + Red, which you can read here.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I am not especially a fan of Harley Quinn for the obvious, over-exposure reasons, but for my interest in Rossmo, I will definitely check that out.

Excited for a change on 'Tec, very excited. In general, I highly enjoy Tomasi but his run on 'Tec was :slightly_smiling_face: :neutral_face: :yawning_face:, so I’m glad the series is getting a new writer.

Ivan Reis on Batman/Superman makes me happy. Someone on YouTube said they’d be surprised if he lasts more than three issues. I don’t see the concern, as he’s drawn several issues of Superman.

1 Like

Is it that @Mister.Miracle? Or is AT&T too cheap to pay for top talent to produce DC comic books? We all know about this company’s money woes Add that to apparently writing comics to coincide with current and future TV shows and films, and I don’t think this augurs well for the “creative future” for the DCU.

2 Likes

That is a fear of mine going into future state but I’m hoping that isn’t true.

2 Likes

I’m betting Bendis will be on Justice League. It seems too obvious, especially with him saying he’s not done with Superman.

On another note, I doubt AT&T pays for any talent’s salary at DC, as they’re not in charge of that. Rather, DC is because it’s their talent, not AT&T’s. Disney didn’t pay Bendis after they bought Marvel, that was up to Marvel.

3 Likes

JL and Legion. That would be cool. Bendis did some great team stuff at Marvel and so far in DC so that would be amazing.

1 Like

I don’t know if the difference is THAT great in terms of pay grade.

There was a time when guys like Scott Snyder or Tom King weren’t the big names of the industry and they had to be noticed. We haven’t gotten the big names yet, but I’m willing to give some of these guys a shot.

2 Likes

I’ve enjoyed Bendis’ DC team books (especially Young Justice, even after it became a co-written title) so I’m onboard for him helming the League.

Now that you mention Legion (and if Bendis does take over Justice League) I can absolutely see a crossover between the two at some point.

1 Like

That would be amazing. Bendis is the perfect person to take over JL and I didn’t realize it until now.

1 Like

I dunno, I think he could do something that’s a little outside of Superman. Maybe go into stuff with Aquaman, or Shazam. Hell, some his best work is the more street oriented characters, so maybe give him Nightwing.

2 Likes

I’d love to see it be a reunion of him and David Finch, as they worked quite well together during Bendis’ tenure on the Avengers franchise.

3 Likes

That would be great. Finch is a fantastic artist. He did so well during King’s Batman run too.

2 Likes

Yeah I think he could do a good Nightwing. I honestly think you could put him on any title and he’d take it in a great fun direction.

2 Likes

I :heart: Dan Jurgens but Great Rao, what I’ve read of his Nightwing has been bor-ing.

I also love Nightwing, but outside of Titans he’s had a rough last four years on his own. It’d be fun to be interested in his solo series again, so if Bendis got that gig, I’d be interested.

I still think he’ll get Justice League though. Nightwing’s a lower-tier title compared to it, and Bendis will likely always headline a higher-level title, unless he specifically seeks out a smaller book.

@Mister.Miracle The Finch issues are my favorites of King’s Batman. He did great work on those.

2 Likes

Completely agree. I like Jurgens’ Beyond series though

1 Like