DCFAC Weekly Challenge: June 14-20

I feel like I too often take the easy way, just drawing faces, so I admire that you’re pushing yourself with all of these challenges. Maybe when we get to the group’s one year anniversary, we can do a “then vs now” challenge, when members choose an old piece of theirs to redraw.

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words on my piece, but yours has blown me away! It really made happy to hear your daughter collaborated with you on this project; you both did phenomenal. Kudos to you and her for taking so much care with the tiny details of the flora! The variety of shading on the leaves alone makes them worthy of Ivy’s approval :slight_smile: And she looks gorgeous but fierce, which is exactly how I love Gotham’s Mother Nature.

And you didn’t forget Frank! :joy:

2 Likes

You caught my not so hidden Easter egg! I love Frank! Although I went more comics Ivy, Frank had to be in there! My daughter(just turned 13) is not quite allowed to watch Harley so she didn’t know his color scheme as well.

4 Likes

And I forgot to mention, but even the gradient shading is impressive! Like on the log and larger flowers. I hope your daughter will join us again for future challenges! She can be a club member by proxy :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

@RobArt471 I love this even more knowing you worked on it with your daughter. My oldest daughter loves to draw which I think she gets from me. I think she will surpass me one day but until then I excitedly show her my weekly submissions to this group. She does a much better hand than I can.
I also loved Frank’s inclusion because he always makes me laugh on the show even though he is on less and less (I think he made a meta joke about it recently).
Your Ivy is amazing and I like the use of vines wrapped around like boots and gloves which is different but makes sense.

4 Likes

@CynicalPink I like that idea of before and now comparisons. I look forward to what the challenge is each week and seeing how I can push myself but also keep part of me front and center. I have always liked adding humor when appropriate or pop culture references ( though sounds like not much longer :frowning:). I will admit some weeks I look at the challenge and say what the heck am I going to do. But I always find a way because I do not want to disappoint you and I enjoy the supportive environment this provides. I feel I’m not as good as some of the artists here (seriously some of you need to be hired ASAP) but I like that we all want to see each other succeed. Prior to this I may have drawn once every few months or twice a year just to destress. This club has kept me going every week, producing so much art, and I really appreciate this as drawing brings me such joy.

3 Likes

I love this! The leaves and vines are beautifully intricate, and the coloring is fantastic! I especially love how the leaves are slightly varied in color; it’s a nice touch. Ivy looks like a force to be reckoned with, and Franks looks… like Frank :joy: You and your daughter did an incredible job!

3 Likes

Thank you @ImpulseMaxMercury! I love hearing you do the same as I with your daughter! Mine does more Anime stuff and real life drawings of people(BTS!). She is definitely better with faces than me, I wish I could share. She is still very shy about sharing her stuff, but maybe one day I can get her to do an anime Harley or something!! (Oh, idea for challenges coming!) I can not take credit for the vine gloves, I got them from my fave Jim Lee! I just added them as boots as well cause it seemed to me that Ivy would be barefoot and not wearing shoes. Everytime I see her in shoes, I say, “Why!” Again thank you so much! My daughter says “Thanks!!” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@RobArt471 My daughter is into Anime as well. That’s so cool. It is nice to share interests as long as she still lets me. Teenage years are coming as I can see you are aware!
Tell your daughter she’s welcome. Glad to see she helped you complete your assignment ( geez I sound like this is school, guess it is because I don’t like to turn in homework late).
The barefoot idea does make sense as she would want to be in touch with the earth at all times. Jim Lee is a master but I like you took the ideas further

2 Likes

@WingsOfAether, I am glad you said that about the varying colors of the leaves that was all my daughter there! She is amazing, but still hasn’t learned so, YET. She is now a teenager, so she will know everything soon. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the kind words. I love that her fierceness comes through, I was unsure how it would play, but I wanted her to be as strong thinking about Pride as she is about her love for plants.

1 Like

I love this! And yall included Frank too! This is awesome that you worked on this with your kiddo, great team up! lego 3

And thank you for the kind words!

1 Like

8 Likes

@ImpulseMaxMercury only 4 characters in yours? Impressive use of space
@RobArt471 well that’s gorgeous
@stefanie.m dude, so sharp.
@CynicalPink book one of the movement to be read…now

4 Likes

Ah yea more Montoya love, shes such a great character, the 1992 nice little nod to her first appearance. And the joke is cute too.

The shadow is hilarious! Well played!

2 Likes

Agreed it’s a great way to unwind from stressful day. And the more you practice the better you’ll become
And your art is great it’s your own unique style and the fact that you challenge yourself every week shows and helps improve as well!! :muscle:

2 Likes

I really love both pieces. The coloring looks fantastic (especially the highlights on the Question’s hat and coat)! Great job!

1 Like

@_UnderScore I know! I must be slacking off, next time I’ll try a George Perez explosion of char…on second thought I want to challenge myself not over exert myself.

1 Like

Omg. :rofl: :rofl: That is dark but hilarious! I hope others get the reference! And let me know how you like The Movement! I’m on issue 3, I think. It’s pretty short. Only about 12 issues.

1 Like

You made me so incredibly happy with that post that I’ve bookmarked it to read again on rainy days. Thank you for helping make the group such a success with your constant submission and support of your fellow club members!

2 Likes

It’s a deep cut. I may redo it on the tablet so I can sharpen it up.