DC Universe Superman Book Club Week 8: Dead Again!

Greetings Superfans, and TGIF! This week, we take another trip into the fabled Triangle Era, with “Dead Again!”.

Superman died defending Metropolis from the monster Doomsday, but he’s since come back and is the one, true, real Man of Steel…right? RIGHT? You’ll have to read this 11 issue magnum opus of fun and entertainment to find out, dear reader!

Here’s a look at what’s coming to life this week:

:books: Read:

-Superman: The Man of Steel (1991-2003) #38
-Superman (1986-2006) #94
-The Adventures of Superman (1987-2006) #517
-Action Comics (1938-2011) #704
-Superman: The Man of Steel #39
-Superman #95
-The Adventures of Superman #518
-Action Comics #705
-Superman: The Man of Steel #40
-Superman #96
-The Adventures of Superman #519

:tv: Watch:

-Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman S1, E18: “Vatman”

:speaking_head: Discuss:

1. What are your overall thoughts on the Dead Again arc?
  2. Between comics and TV, this week’s selections present us with tales of an impostor Superman (or is he? :thinking: ). Which was your favorite, and do you have any other favorite Superman adventures where his identity is called into question?
  3. I like Conduit, you like Conduit (yeah, you do, admit it :smile:), we all like Conduit! How did you enjoy the man with the Kryptonian cable hookup in Dead Again compared to his other adventures?

That’s what’s alive and cooking for this week. Rise to the occasion, and enjoy! :superman_hv_3:

SN: I wish you all a very happy and wonderful 2020! :partying_face: :champagne: :fireworks:

2 Likes

How appropriate, because after working retail during the Holiday Season I definitely feel dead. :skull:

3 Likes

There’s nothing like a good, solid Superman adventure (or 12, in the case of this week) for a pick-me-up @Jay_Kay. I hope this week’s adventures prove to be most rejuvenating for you! :relaxed:

3 Likes

Are you sure that’s enough issues? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

The Superman editorial team apparently thought so 25 years ago, so I say…yes, yes it is. Mike Carlin and crew can do no wrong in my book.

11 issues over a week is a breeze. Easy breezy, lemon squeezy…:wind_face: :lemon:

3 Likes

Also, this take is so hot I just removed it from the oven, but is Conduit basically being positioned as Superman’s Eddie Brock? I dunno. This story just reminds me of some of those early Venom appearances (before he went all Lethal Protector).

3 Likes

Mmmm, hot, oven fresh, takes…

2 Likes

*Groening

2 Likes

I’ll take that as a clever pun on text that I didn’t write.

+1 for @AlexanderKnox!

2 Likes

Luckily I’ve know finished reading about 30 issues of Silver Age Flash in anticipation of the History Club’s January topic, so I have an 11 issue whole in my schedule

2 Likes

Well, I’m happy that I could fill that…

Um…

Glad to be of service @msgtv! Yes, glad to be of service! We’ll go with that. :smile:

2 Likes

My goodness, Superman is insecure in this story:

Action 704

Post-Crisis/Pre-Infinite Supes was always a little pissy for my tastes, but this is especially brash.

5 Likes

First since we’re back in triangle, let us again complain that Bendis was given both Superman and Action and we do not get a weekly dose of Superman. His titles were selling well enough to justify weekly before the change, let’s go back to weekly.
Okay, I don’t normally endorse blowing hard working security personnel to smithereens with atomic blasts, but Jakes is a butt head who really asked for it.

Except for Hourman and Roy Harper.

3 Likes

Adv 519 Brainiac

Yuk yuk yuk.

3 Likes

Yuk yuk yuk indeed.

So 11 issues in a week you say? Well I’m game. I just spent the last couple of days in the company of one Roy Harper while prepping for my own club next month so I could probably handle this now that I’m finished.

4 Likes

Well, if the Alexander Knox died and then came back, only to later on be constantly barraged with “Is it him or a knockoff?” he’d get a twist in his Hanes too. :wink:

3 Likes

See, Conduit is kewl!

I’d love to see a weekly narrative run through the core Superman titles again @msgtv.

It was slightly attempted during the New Krypton saga, but even then some books were self-contained, depending on the story. Codename: Patriot is a story of note from that period that did run through the main Superbooks.

@JasonTodd428 11 issues and an episode of L&C if you’re up for it.

“Dead Again!” is but one of many multi-title arcs I’ll be spotlighting. The Trial of Superman will be along before Spring rolls around, too.

Hey, I did read all 11 issues. I had to take a Mike Nichols break afterward, but once Ben and Elaine get on the bus, I might turn on the Adventures of Dean Cain if I’m not too tired.

1 Like

One word Benjamin: “plastics”.

1 Like