DC Universe Superman Book Club Week 5: "I Want The Truth!"

Ok, so I’m reading Superman #41 and Jimmy Olsen knows who Superman is? How and why?! So far the story is really interesting. Great choice @Vroom! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Reaganfan78 If memory serves, Clark told Jimmy he was Superman during the Man of Tomorrow arc, which begins in this volume of Superman, at #32.

I don’t remember which issue it happened in, but I’m 95.8% certain it was somewhere in that arc.

1 Like

It wasn’t during that arc, it was a couple issues after that, before, erm, Before Truth.

There was some fun stories during that time – an issue or two later he was testing the limits of the flare ability and in his cooldown phase, the Justice League took him out to a bar and got him totally wasted. :smiley:

2 Likes

During Lobdell’s run, huh? I remembered Jimmy finding out during Geoff John’s run, which is where I thought the solar flare power came into being.

I clearly need to revisit those issues.

Nope, during Johns’ run. There was basically the Ulysses arc, then those couple of issues (and I believe Romita Jr. actually co-wrote the Justice League one I mentioned), and then we got to Gene with the Truth stuff.

1 Like

Oh, later in the Man of Tomorrow arc then.

I think #40 is where Clark got drunk, as that was between Johns’ arc and Yang’s.

Clark got drunk?!? What sorcery is this?

1 Like

To quote Troy McClure: “It happened!”

Either in Superman #39 or #40 (same volume we’re reading from this week).

It’s almost as if Clark is a real human…:thinking:

1 Like

After he uses his solar flare ability, it leaves him weakened for 24 hours.

Which is why Jimmy of all people is defending Clark on the cover of Superman #39.

I’d forgotten about that part.

Good on Jimmy. I love that pal of Superman’s.

1 Like

Johns’ brief run on New 52 Superman was quite good, especially with moments like Superman’s Pal defending Superman.

2 Likes

I need to read more Jimmy stories honestly. Could be my club might chose to make Jimmy the character of the month at some point. :grin:

3 Likes

You’ve got my approval. :+1:

Speaking of Jimmy, his current book is alot of fun and absolutely worth reading.

I’m planning on reading it just haven’t had the time or extra money to buy it yet. It does look like a lot of fun though. :grin:

1 Like

If you were to buy only one Superman series right now, make it Lois Lane.

Along with Superman #18, due this coming Wednesday. :wink:

That was the other one I was going to read but haven’t yet. Guess I’m too caught up in other titles right now.

1 Like

@Vroom Fun picks good Sir. I will be late for this party but will get started late thursday or early friday. I did read the Joker and Harley one from last week. It was a fun and goofy story. I was not a huge fan of the art though. Their point perspective and proportions were good and everything. It was how they drew their faces that keep pulling me out of the story. IDK I am weird when it comes to art.

Also thank you kindly for the Links buddy :hugs:

1 Like

@Aquamon Chime in when you’re able. The thread will be open and ready for ya.

You’re welcome for the links. :hugs:

1 Like

Okay, I like both stories, but “Truth” is more satisfying than “Before Truth” simply because it doesn’t hinge on a contrived setup. It also reminds me of my favorite bits of Morrison’s run on Action, which itself evoked the earliest Golden Age stories.

When I read these really strong New 52 Superman stories, I always get a tad frustrated because I’m convinced that this version of Superman could have excelled if he weren’t the mainstream version. A stripped-down, depowered Superman in a T-shirt would have been the perfect take for the Earth One graphic novels or (preferably) a proper DC equivalent to Ultimate Marvel. Instead, he’s stuck being New Coke.

2 Likes