DC Universe Superman Book Club Week 5: "I Want The Truth!"

Greetings Superfans and welcome to Week 5! :superman_hv_3:

With Superman set to reveal his identity to the world in next Wednesday’s Superman #18, I decided it would be fun to take a look back at 2015’s “Truth” story (part of the post-Convergence “DC You” publishing campaign) wherein Superman’s identity was revealed (while he was also at half-power no less) by someone close to Clark.

Here’s what’s on tap:

:books: Read:

:tv: Watch:

• Viewer’s Choice: I’m leaving this open to whichever movie or TV episode YOU, dear reader, would like to watch that features the revelation of Clark’s truth.

It doesn’t have to be DCU-based content, but please be sure to highlight what you’ve watched, as it may be something new to someone else, and therefore lead to more Superman enjoyment for them. :slightly_smiling_face:

:speaking_head: Discuss:

1. Should Clark’s true identity be known to the world or is it better for him to maintain a life separate from Superman?

2. Between “Before Truth” and “Truth” which was your favorite story? Were you angered by who revealed Clark’s secret or were you sympathetic to their reasoning?

3. Are you planning to read Superman #18 (cover below and again, due for release on 12/11) to see how the upcoming story “The Truth” begins?

There we go, Superfans! Toss on your t-shirt and boots, gas up the hog and have fun, while always remembering one thing…the Truth is out there!

6 Likes

Sorry, couldn’t resist. :laughing:

3 Likes

I don’t blame you @Jay_Kay, A Few Good Men is a great movie. :smiley:

1 Like

I actually haven’t seen it. I might have to go see if it’s streaming somewhere.

1 Like

If it isn’t streaming somewhere or on TV, it’s worth a rental. Great performances by the whole cast, along with great writing by Aaron Sorkin (The West Wing) and direction by Rob Reiner (This is Spinal Tap).

2 Likes

I WANT THE TRUTH @Vroom!
@Vroom: YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH! Find I’ll give you the truth, while you’re bugging Kelex I’ve been reading one of the perhaps a shocking story of Superman revealing his secret, his secret identity is so shocking that I don’t think even you @Reaganfan78 CAN HANDLE IT!!!:rage:
Who is he then?:frowning:
@Vroom: My mouth is seal,:zipper_mouth_face: you’re just going to have to read it.
:pensive:Guess I’m going to have to.

1 Like

@Reaganfan78 You shall have the truth you seek.

Also, you might want to hold onto a stuffed penguin as you read these tales. :wink:

1 Like

@Vroom the links are taking me to the New 52 Superman run…which is what you want. ok

2 Likes

Indeedily-doodily @Don-El. :smiley:

I decided to link each arc’s respective series instead of the specific issues this week. When assorted issues from assorted titles are the focus of a given week, I’ll link each issue.

For this week however, I felt it better to link each series, due to consecutive issues from each being this week’s selection.

2 Likes

Did or did not @Vroom call a code red? I don’t really know, but look new Superman stories to read!

2 Likes

A Few Good Men is way, way at the top of my list of favorite movies. It’s one of those that I own but still stop to watch every time I see that’s it on tv.

2 Likes

I deride your truth-handling abilities!

3 Likes

@msgtv Your ■■■■■■■■ right I ordered a Code Red!

To go with my lunch that is. :wink:

drinks Mountain Dew: Code Red

Spew! hings bottle into the trash

I’ll take Baja Blast or Pitch Black instead.

2 Likes

A Few Good Men is like The Shawshank Redemption: you’ve seen it several times, but when it’s on, you can’t help but stop and watch until it’s over.

3 Likes

lays several rakes (courtesy of Ronny’s Rakes) down, sees Bob exit the courthouse (it sounds like he’s humming H.M.S. Pinafore), then hides behind a bush

Tee-hee, this’ll be good!

1 Like

Never seen Shawshank

3 Likes

Watch it while reading these issues, for that movie also deals with the truth.

1 Like

THE TRUTH SHALL SET THEE FREE!!

Ah so we come to a story I actually did read before in one of my many attempts to get into the N52 Superman. I give it another go but at the time I remember that this story also failed to pull me into the book.

2 Likes

On the other side of the spectrum, I do remember kind of digging this brief period, at least in theory. Looking forward to diving into this.

1 Like