DC Universe Superman Book Club Week 12: Harley Quinn Does Metropolis

Minutia Maid orange juice is a tasty, pulp-free beverage.

1 Like

Very good points!

How about regardin’ what the ever-lovin’ heck did that funny-lookin’ feller just done say.

1 Like

Harley’s adventure in Metropolis was an awkward crossover that hit a lot of road bumps along the way. I was excited to see Thorn but then her role quickly became a side story and something to keep Ivy busy. This meant most of the time Ivy and Harley were never on the same page, and it kind of hurt the momentum. To have Bizarro show up was kind of cool at first but then he soon wore out his welcome. I think if Superman would have shown up earlier in the story it could have helped a lot of the plot devices move forward. Having Jimmy on his own was fine, for the most part. He was thrown back into his role as Superman’s pal and relied on him to help. Speaking of Jimmy, he and Harley never really worked for me. It felt like they made him the dumbest character in this story. They sort of stripped anything that made Jimmy likable and put in a bare bone scenario and hoped for the best. Granted, this is a Harley book but I would have liked to see more from the Metropolis regulars. The way Jimmy and Harley interacted kind of irked me. It was obviously Harley but Jimmy was thinking with his umm, well he wasn’t using his brain.

Harley’s Little Black Book was a bit better. There is a scene of Wonder Woman and Power Girl arm wrestling with Batman, Flash, Aquaman, and others drinking and cheering that got me pretty excited. I know that is a small scene but the idea of having all these superheroes getting down and having fun is a nice thought. Overall, this was a fun book for what it was. I did cringe when they had President Trump talking about building walls. I read comics to avoid that kind of stuff. I have oddly not read the original so I am unable to compare the two books.

The cartoons this week are a lot of fun. I watched this earlier in January on DVD when it was edited as a movie. As a Superman episode, it is great. I am not sure if this works as good as a Batman episode, although I did enjoy the crossover.

Thank you @Vroom for putting this together. These are all books that I would never read on my own and I did enjoy them for the most part.

2 Likes

Thank you for joining in on the fun, @darkstarz25! I’m happy to have brought content to your attention that you otherwise wouldn’t have checked out. :clark_hv_4:

1 Like

Injustice 2

Superman: Want to hear a joke?

Harley Quinn: Fire away.

Superman: Harley Quinn vs. Superman

2 Likes

In the words of Slappy Squirrel:

“Now that’s comedy!” :chipmunk:

3 Likes

Enjoyed the Harley’s Black Book, funny homage the the great Ali-Superman one-shot. They even surprised me with the Superman disguised as Jimmy trick.
As for the HQ books. They looked great, super cute and let’s just say very attractive. And dull. From where we are today, this felt like half developed versions of today’s characters. Just couldn’t continue.

2 Likes

See, I’m not overly big on Harley’s first ongoing and for just that reason: it’s pretty, but pretty dull too.

These Superman-oriented issues stood out from the rest, and for me were mostly fun. Harley’s Daily Planet togs were pretty rad, and I enjoyed her interactions with Perry and Jimmy.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ll agree with that - her relationship with Jimmy was entertaining.

2 Likes

I really didn’t like the relationship but it was an entertaining train wreck. I just couldn’t believe Jimmy didn’t know that was Harley the whole time.

2 Likes

I don’t blame Jimmy. He’s never seen Clark and Superman as one and the same, and they worked together for years.

Sometimes, its no wonder Perry doesn’t have him on staff. :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah and to be fair, I am sure he wasn’t using his brain to think regarding Harley’s Holly identity.

2 Likes

As Jimmy would say on Adventures of Superman:

“Golly, Mr. Kent!” :clark_hv_4:

2 Likes

Love is blinding sometimes. Cant blame jimmy for not noticing.

2 Likes

@Vroom Well Bizarro just showed up. You weren’t kidding about how crazy it gets. I love how wonderfully insane and weird this story is.

1 Like

@TheDarkKnieves, apologies but you lost me there (haven’t been following the discussion this week). Which book are we referring to?

1 Like

The Harley Quinn in metropolis story.

1 Like

Also I apologize, I tagged the wrong person :joy: I meant to tag @Vroom

1 Like

Ok… then the tag must have been in error.

Bows out gently before causing any more disruption :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol I apologize

1 Like