DC Universe Release Dates for DCAU Movies

Did you know that @TurokSonOfStone1950? That AT&T owns DC now? :wink:

Sorry for playful sarcasm @mjuarbe23.20763. You’re newer. @TurokSonOfStone1950 is, without exaggeration, the DCU historian.

Dude can sneeze and say more about the past, present, and future of DC than I can.

I will say this was always marketed as a comics first platform. It was designed to go toe-to-toe with Marvel Unlimited (which has zero video content and costs 20% more).

Not to discourage newer users, but if you’re not here to read comics; HBO Max is going to be what you’re looking for, and only sometimes.

1 Like

if people are hoping HBO Max will have all things DC Movie related they are sadly mistaken. HBO Max just made an announcement they are routating some major DC Movies out of their service by the end of This Month June. they said their gonna rotate so they can add fresh DC Content in. Wonder Woman, Justice League, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad are all leaving by July 1 and they say this gonna be a monthly cycle. with every month different DC Films rotating in and out.

2 Likes

That’s why I said, [quote=“Kon-El, post:21, topic:972675”]
HBO Max is going to be what you’re looking for, and only sometimes.
[/quote]

Warner is going to rotate content, at least for a while, because it’s a major form of revenue. Put a movie on Vudu for “free”, with commercial ads, and that’s bank.

My point is this. If you’re looking for a Disney+ equivalent for WB content; it’s probably not going to happen. They’re a different company with different goals. I’d keep buying those 4K copies if you want to have access to everything.

4 Likes

DCU has literally all the things i want. I read comics first, but when i see the announcements that there is a new set of videos, and movies coming out- i get pumped.

Plus i have kids who adore the animated series, which has so much value.

4 Likes

im a collector i love having my DC Films and series on my wall lined up organized. and i honesty if i had the money and finational means to negotiate with AT&T i can make my own DC Streaming service lol. for me personally with my own dealings in a very small scale with copyrighting licenses trademarks. i dont think AT&T really thought this out when they gave Time Warner that deal. if we take a look at Disney+ since majority of the average consumer want a Disney+ video library. off the top of my head with whats public out there Disney+ conseption and processing started almost 10 years ago. with disney buying companies and licenses to get back their properties. and then in like 2015 started buying the other half which was more technical stuff. buying companies that had the technical means. i think and hope time warner had that same idea just doing it whuile the service was running. which is why they started with their strongest assests which is their comic line. DC and Warner Bros have had a great relationship through out the years. nut warner bros makes long term leasing deals with alot of people their deal with Netflix is one of the best i seen but thats a also a bad thing for when a company gets bought out. if AT&T wants to build DCU or HBO Max into a disney + like service thats alot of hunting and negotiating to get those licenses back which could take decades. but thats just my personal opinion.

1 Like

I don’t think they want that, though. It’s HBO first, and Warner TV and Film is just icing on the cake. They’re gonna want the $9.99 from selling, say, Casablanca. Films like that will rotate on HBO so the hardcore fans are left buying a copy in order to have it to watch whenever they want. Just the nature of the beast.

3 Likes

As

@Kon-El says

Since AT&T owns these films now

They only get additional.revenue

If HBO Max members buys the CD or Blu Ray

Look.at what they are rotating out

Wonder Woman a new film.is coming out

Suicide Squad again new film coming out

Justice League Synder cut coming out.

It is getting clearer to me esch day
That for DC material
That HBO Max is a

Preview and Buy CD system

Rather than

Show entire catalogue in HBO Max

Which was what DC Universe was in.the beginning
Regarding comic books

Important Batman.and Teen Titans
Were available for about two.weeks

Then left the service

During that time
I bought the corresponding trade

Which was what
Top Management wanted us to do

2 Likes

@TurokSonOfStone1950 Man, I hated that! Some stuff was hard to find too. I started reading Azrael because Batman: Sword of Azrael was here, but you couldn’t buy his solo series in a collection. It was… frustrating.

1 Like

Weird to see

X Men
X Men First Class
X Men.Dark Phoenix

On HBO Max

But no.Superman

1 Like

I dont think thats the case it might be and very logical but me personally i think AT&T doesnt know how to handle two streaming services having DC content. HBO Max spokeperson and excutives made a announcement concerning DC Universe and HBO Max and saying the hopeful plan is have DC content on both services in tandom. With dc universe. Focusing on DC and HBO Max being a little bit of everything like netflix and amazon. But the main problem is licenses. Majority of DC video library is leased out to ither services and companies. And these companies are being bought sold or in legal tie up because WB thats how they did buisness in the past. I think AT&T just accidently backed themselves in a corner when they bought Time Warner. Because now you have a company thatbought a huge company and their bigest property DC adaptations has been broken and lease to hundreds of other places. Efore the merger. Thats a huge kick in the face. Thinking that youre gonna have this vast library only to find out its been broken up and behind hundreds of contracts

Thats because warner media and fox had a agreement before both companies were bought. Disney bought fox and warner media got bought by AT&T. Before the bought Fox made a deal to have xmen films air on HBO channel since AT&T bought warner media and everything warner media owned. Which HBO was apart of it. And since HBO and fox had that preexisting deal thats why xmen is on hbo max

AT&T / Warners Brothers had all the DCEU films on HBO

All in.the same company

Now they may have to pay Michael Uslan some fee for the Batman stuff since he got the license in.1979 but that is probably not that much money because DC Universe could afford having them here.

I am not talking about stuff licenses to Netflix or Hulu.

They own this stuft and are choosing to rotate it out

Why?

Just to show they can?

Or for subscribers to see the video
And buy it when it is no longer available?

Managrment policy is not to allow other strraming services to get this material any more.

So why rotate out?

I think youre talking about now back 3 yrs ago DCUniverse didnt exist and HBO already had a digital service because people who had HBO apart of their cable could access HBO digital content this was before hbo max. Back in 2018 when dc universe was being develop and in beta AT&T bought warner media and it finalized and finished the merger after dc umiverse launch now HBO didnt have a inhouse digital management system aka servers bandwith etc. That was turner broadcasting and turner broadcast used a different company for their digital side. So its possible HBO had a different contract already in place when turner broadcasting and warner bros merge and became time warner. Which means when AT&T bought time warner they cant just pull dc stuff from hbo and put it in another service because the contract isnt open and valid. So its not just the new films coming out and the synder cut i feel just from my resrarch and public talking there is alot of legal contracts issues due to turner deals in the past and warner bros deals. Before their merger

Thank you.

My post
Was more
Why no Superman
Not why X men

HBO Max said 40 years of Batman and Superman would be on.here.

Yet no.Nolan Triology. No Christopher Reeve. No Man of Steel.

HBO Max is looking at DC films as a loose collection of films not one single body of work that belongs togethet as a permanent collection.

The rest could rotate out.

Except aren’t they all part of the same company?

Yes Warner Entertainment probably had a limited contract with HBO

But it is now policy not to liscense to other streaming services.

For these assests to generate any income to the various components of this enormous company.

Something will be worked out.

You are right if you are implying that may tske some time to iron.out.

For batman i gotta look into but for suoerman i know time warner and the superman creators been in legal battles since 2015 maybe earlier due to the creators of the superman films neevr recieveing their revenue earnings after warner bros got bought by turner and AOL. And i believe the judge granted the creators the winner of the lawsuit. So i believe the creators owns the rights to superman not warner bros time warner and now warner media. So it could be AT&T is trying to negotiate a new deal which is also why majortiy of supermsn films is not on DCU

This is current status of Supetman

2004 - 2013 Comic Book Siegel heirs sue DC, after an inital agreement in 1997. Part of suit was that Superboy was not part of the original 10 year work for hire contract but an independent matter. That is why Superboy was not used by DC in this time period. A judge ruled in 2013 that the 1997 agreement had been done freely and with forethought. That agreement gave the Siegel heirs a $2 million advance, a $1 million non-recoupable signing bonus forgiveness of a previous $250,000 advance, a guarantee of $500,000 per year for 10 years, a 6 percent royalty of gross revenues, and various other royalties

1 Like

Now yes but legally the previous contracts are still valid and still has to be honored by law. Either party can break contract early but then its a possibility and likely a legal battle will happen over eranings rights etc. The easier path and less costly is to honor whats already there and eait for the contract to expire and just not renew. But some of these contrscts can be anywhere from 4yrs 5yrs 10yrs 15yrs or longer.

So im semi corrct superman is not solely own by warner media but shared with siegel and warner media which makes bringing superman to dcu or hbo max diffocult because sigel has to also agree to any dealings or else they cant docit.

The contract specified the rules by which.the Seigels get additional income through use of the Superman assets

Superman.the movie 1978 has always been on DC Universe. So any problems have alteady been worked out

HBO Max costs more per month and has many more subscribers. Insert those numbers to the DC Universe formula and the fee to the Siegels is generated.

It is not in the interest of either the Siegels or AT&T to have to negotiate whenever there is a new Superman assets or an old asset being used in a new way.

1 Like