DC Universe Opinion Article #1: Why the Film side works but the comics doesn't?

The funny for me is I initially subbed for the Titan’s series and other shows, the comics was a bonus to let me read stuff I never got around to as I already had a core few books I’d purchase (Which I still do), but now after being teased with comic stories that are then taken away my interest in spending money on this service is waning. I can watch the shows elsewhere without paying, and the money saved from not subbing would go to purchasing likely used volumes of the comic runs I’m now interested in.

If there is an issue with having the licensing to their own digital comics from some kind of deal with Amazon I can sympathize having a limited budget to bring comics onto this platform, but That’s on the big wigs in DC or WB or AT&T for screwing that up. You already have services like Marvel Unlimited and Netflix as examples to where the bar is as far as digital content distribution. Anything subpar to those when you have the means to distribute is a failure on management either being too greedy or too incompetent and in either case not deserving of my patronage.

that’s so interesting Wessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. You are right though when a service adds extra content but it isn’t great, the entire service drags.

It’s been a week or two. Feel free to read it again

1 Like

I do agree that the rotation is very quick. Reading a comic, or anything for that matter, requires focus and no distraction. With TV, you can look away briefly during quiet or dull moments, but with comics, you need to keep your eyes glued to the pages. Reading a whole volume of any of the New 52 comic can take me anywhere 1-2 hours if I shut off the TV and silence my phone. If attempt to multi-task, one volume can take me up to a whole day to get through.

Actually, I’ve noticed that many of the TV series have episodes out of order or are missing parts of the series or extensions and often there are problems with casting, so I feel like the comics have been the strength of the app, but with the deadlines on everything and only having less than 2 weeks to read something or being pressured to read an entire arc in 30 days just puts me off and I really don’t feel like using the app. And now most of the comics that are being added, while great comics and incredibly important, I’ve already bought many of them as I’m sure many others of you also have, and we’re not getting many new or complete series to read, just snippets here and there or stories that rely on other stories that aren’t even accessible on DCU. Idk, I really love the app and the concept of it, but it feels like it’s not doing as well and I really hope they make some improvements soon because I want them to succeed.

1 Like

I’ll add my vote to what @yazov is saying. The main thing I want here for digital comics is: start of all the new DC Comics even if it’s from a year-and-a-half ago, and then every month the next in the series gets added. That’s the scenario I’m hoping for and then of course a nice healthy library at the older stuff eventually too. So…Green Lanterns 1 this month, #2 next month etc

6 out of 10? You’ve got to be either joking or have only been ready comics for a couple of years. Only kidding, but If Marvel Unlimited is a 10 out of 10 (which is what it is) DC universe is barely a 1 out of 10. All due respect to your opinion but i don’t understand how you are coming up with that number. Extremely limited comics, series that aren’t complete, comics taken down too fast. As opposed to Marvel with thousands and thousands of comics, complete series dating back to the early 60s, and they never come down. I say this as a lover of all comics but especially DC since 1964.

2 Likes

The TV is a 9/10 (missing more recent stuff) but the comics part is struggling. I never got to read dark victory because the pacing was too fast

This is on point

I really don’t think its fair to compare Marvel Unlimited to DC Universe at this point in their respective life cycles. Marvel Unlimited has been going hard with regular updates for ten tears ans most of us have only had our hands on DC Universe for less than 3 months. Marvel Unlimited was barely usable at all until about five years ago and there are still massive gaps in their collection.

1 Like

You’re right, I’m not asking for that. I’m asking for full runs and non rotation. Rotation is definitely leaving (which is good) but hopefully full runs join them

1 Like