DC Universe Book Club: Year One

Greetings,

I’m no good at this, sappy reflective stuff. I’ve written and rewritten this probably 5 times at this point. To no avail.

DC Universe Book Club (DCUBC, as we call it) turns 1 today. One whole year. I still can’t believe it. It feels like just yesterday I made a post on these very forums asking if there was any interest in such a group.

This last year has been a blast. It’s been such a treat to read and get to know all of you. This is the first time I’ve really got to talk to people about Comics. I love hosting this club.

I could go on and on about how much this little group means to me, but it’s not about me. It’s about all of you who help make this whole thing possible. So I wanted to highlight a number of you.

@Don_El who covered for me Week 1 when I was late opening up discussion. Don has since been a staple of our group. It wouldn’t be the same without him. In addition Don has been hosting a Legion of Super-Heroes book club now in it’s 20th week.

@Nathan.Payson who has been an instrumental member of the community. Nathan has run our Discord channel since day 1 and provided us with a safe space to talk and discuss. Nathan also does a ton of great stuff in the forums. I’ll leave a link to his excellent Rebirth reading order below.

@Applejack whose support was crucial in helping us get off the ground. If we ever hit a snag she is always there to lend a hand.

The entire moderation team for cultivating and maintaining a safe space for all of us.

All of our Book Club regulars who liven up the discussion each week. Two of those regulars @Vroom and @Jay_Kay have Book Clubs of their own. I’ll link their latest discussions below.

Lastly, and most importantly @JLWWSM. JL reached out at the end of last year and pitched me on Girl Power! (Which we do once a month!) Slowly she transitioned into hosting every other week. Simply put, I wouldn’t have been able to keep this going without her. Not only has she taken a huge burden off of me, she’s brought such a great perspective on the books we pick. I couldn’t have asked for a better Co Host.

To those listed above and to really anyone who has swung by our little book club. Thank you.

LINKS:

Legion of Super- Heroes fan club (Hosted by @Don_El): https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/comics/legion-fan-club-weekly-rea_4

@Nathan.Payson’s Rebirth Reading Order: https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/comics/my-massive-dc-rebirth-read

DCU Superman Book Club (Hosted by @Vroom): https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/comics/dcu-superman-book-club-wee_11

World of Bats Batman Book Club (Hosted by @Jay_Kay): https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/comics/world-of-bats-batman-book-_4

And lastly DCUBC (this week hosted by yours truly): https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/comics/dcu-book-club-week-52-gree

Thank you.

If you want to talk about all things DC and other fun stuff DCUBC is on Discord: https://discord.gg/SUs87JP

Want to catch up on our previous discussions? The DCUBC Archive can be found here: https://discord.gg/kfSNQP6

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me via email Mattcmcd@gmail.com or on Twitter @Mattmcdonald

10 Likes

:tada::heart::tada::heart:

Matt and JL, congrats on this milestone. Your special club has made my Sunday evenings something I look forward too!

3 Likes

Thank you for your superheroic efforts Matt, JL, and Don-El.

Thanks to you, the DC Universe Book Club endures and shines brighter than ever as it celebrates Year One (of many, many more to come). The club remains an enlightened conclave of comic conversation that I very much enjoy partaking in.

SN: Thanks for the Superman Book Club plug Matt. Darn nice of ya :wink:

4 Likes

@MattMcDonald, I hope I’ve made this apparent in our past conversations, but if I haven’t, I’ll emphasize again here: DC Universe and the Community would not be the same without your efforts. The Book Club is a staple of all of our experience, a warm hearth to come home to whether participating, lurking, or just excitedly waiting for what the next excellent title our illustrious hosts will select. It is a fundamental part of our past and a crucial, exciting part of our future.

I hope that we can continue to support your efforts and your passion for many Years to come! :hugs::books:

4 Likes

@applejack, I made the same comment to JL after the podcast Friday. Also for those who want a deeper dive into Book Club: Year One check out the Fans Of DC Universe Podcast this Saturday. (JL and Matt will be our special guests!)

2 Likes

Also this is my post of the year!(Sept. 15 2018-today)

1 Like

@Vroom

It’s the least I could do!

2 Likes

@Applejack

That means the world to me. I’m excited for the future of DC Universe!

1 Like

@Nathan.Payson

Thanks for the invite! I’m looking forward to it!

1 Like

This has been one of the highlights of DCU for me, all these different clubs getting me to read books I’ve been meaning to read, or getting into ones I never even heard of, and talking with some great people about it.

I do want to say that on the listing for the Batman book club, I’m far from the only one hosting. So far the bulk of the work has been from @Aquamonc317, and I just filled in for that week for his go-through of Legends of the Dark Knight. Also, @BatJamags is going to be doing some stuff for this month. They deserve the props for that too.

2 Likes

@MattMcDonald It has been an honor and a blast to work with you in book club! Twice a month, you give me the keys to the book club car, and I try really hard not to wreck it! :laughing:. You a stellar leader with excellent tastes in comics! Thanks for taking a chance on me and my never-ending ideas.

It’s hard to believe it’s been a year since Matt stood up in a sparkling new community with a fantastic idea: We should have a book club. I loved and respected book club so much because it was the steady ship of the community. It was reliable, positive, fun, and a great place to get to know other members. Joining in as a co-host this year is truly an honor. Thanks again to @Applejack for the never-ending support!

There are no words to describe how grateful I am for everyones’ comments in book club. I read and treasure ever word. Reading comics together and sharing our different perspectives and experiences is a unique experience on DCU. Thanks for taking time out of your days to read and chat with us!

To quote Keanu Reeves, DCU COMMUNITY: “YOU’RE BREATHTAKING!!!”

:heart::books::heart::books::heart::books:

1 Like

Here are few of my most memorable DCUBC moments this year:

1. The varied responses to Matt’s discussion question in week 42: TITANS/YOUNG JUSTICE: GRADUATION DAY Issues 1-3
    “Do you think Young Justice is to blame for the outcome of this story?”
    Fun question, and fun responses!

2. Don-El’s story about his experience reading Blue Devil when it first debuted in 1984. I love when people share stories that relate to the reading!

3. Reading and posting comments in old western accents during DCUBC-Epic’s All Star Western.

4. Reading the Long Halloween together in week 7. That was amazing!

5. Kicking off Girl Power! with Power Girl. I figured she was a bold choice and I had no idea how it would be received. I was delighted by the support of the community and the colorful, fun comments.

6. Reading Alan Moore AND Scott Synder’s Swamp Thing

I’m forcing myself to stop here because this list could easily get to 200!

Happy 1st Birthday DCUBC!

2 Likes