DC TV and Movie Club-The Great DC Opinion Debate

download

Welcome all to what I hope will be an amazing debate on our DC Opinions and views! One thing that is the same for all DC fans is we think one version of something is better or that something was not as good or bad as others think. Well here you can share those views and see if others agree.

So in your opinion…
-Who are the top three portrayals of Bruce Wayne/Batman in any medium?
-Who are the top three portrayals of Clark Kent/Superman in any medium?
-Who are the top three portrayals of The Joker in any medium?
-Who are the top three portrayals of Lex Luthor in any medium?
-What is the best DC Movie and TV series ever made? What is the worst?
-And finally…What is your most controversial DC opinion (Can be movies, TV, or comics)?
Also feel free to pose questions and topics below in addition to these starter ones!

And remember, we are all respectful of the views of others in this community…but not here. Argument and debate is highly encouraged! (But still be generally respectful of course :innocent:)

I think this will be fun and if you want to see more like this, let me know.

Debate your views below and if you are curious about content mentioned in this thread, there is a good chance you can watch it on DC Universe!

5 Likes

I guess I’ll start

Best-Conroy
Second-Bale
Third-Keaton
Best-Reeve
Second-Newbern/Daly (DCAU)
Third-Hoechlin (Arrowverse)
Best-Hamill
Second-Ledger
Third-Nicholson
Best-Hackman
Second-Cryer (Arrowverse)
Third-Brown (DCAU)
Best Movie-Superman: The Movie (1978)
Worst Movie-Catwoman (2004)
Best TV series-The Flash
Worst TV series-Birds of Prey (There are no bad ones but this is the worst of all the great ones)
-And finally…What is your most controversial DC opinion (Can be movies, TV, or comics)?
I don’t like The Dark Knight Returns exclusively because of the art. I think the writing and story is a masterpiece but the art is terrible.

Well that was mine, I’m excited to hear what you all think

5 Likes

:grinning:Here’s my report…

1. Kevin Conroy, 2. Michael Keaton, 3. Christian Bale.
    1. Christopher Reeve, 2. George Reeves, 3. Dean Cain.
    1. Jack Nicholson, 2. Heath Ledger, 3. Mark Hamill.
    1. Gene Hackman, 2. Michael Rosenbaum, 3. Jon Cryer.
  1. Best DC Movies: 1. Batman 1989, 2. 1978 Superman, 3. The Dark Knight.
    Best DC TV: 1. Batman the animated series 2. Lois & Clark the new Adventures of Superman, 3. 1966 Batman.
    The worst DC movies: 1. Batman & Robin, 2. Superman 4, 3. Batman V. Superman the dawn of Justice!
    Worst DC TV Show 1. None, 2. None 3. None.
  2. Did they really have to get rid of Superman red trunk? He look so Stupid without it! DC should’ve fire the guy who came up with that for new 52!
3 Likes

I completely agree about the trunks thing. For Batman it’s optional but advised but for Superman it should be mandatory

2 Likes

Just to start I’ll give my top for each for now
Superman Christopher Reeve he managed to bring everything we love about the character instantly to life
Lex Luther Micheal Rosenbaum he had 7 seasons to build an empathetic tragic version of Lex, he was destined to be evil, no matter what he tried, the fact that his best friend built their relationship on a lie didn’t help
Joker Heath Ledger holy crap was the performance something
Batman my only animated entry Conroy. When I think of Batman’s voice I hear Conroy
Best Movie Dark Knight one of the best post 9-11 examinations of the fight against terrorism should have been nominated for best picture
Worst (haven’t seen Catwoman) Batman Forever Carrey and Jones make it unwatchable
Series Doom Patrol is genius
Worst I can’t think of one so bad I’d put on a list

5 Likes

Great choices

1. Michael Keaton
  2. Ben Affleck
  3. Olan Soule

1. Christopher Reeve
  2. Bud Collyer
  3. Kyle MacLachlan

1. Jack Nicholson
  2. Heath Ledger
  3. Joaquin Phoenix

1. Jesse Eisenberg
  2. Gene Hackman
  3. Kevin Spacey

• Best Movie: Batman (1989)
  • Best TV Series: Batman (1992)
  • Worst Movie: Steel
  • Worst TV Series: Gotham

• Batman Begins is unintentionally hilarious schlock.

I agree with this Top 3 DC Films ranking.

3 Likes

Great how you chose so many often overlooked actors.

1 Like

Yeah, as much as I love Conroy and West, it’s Soule I hear when I read Batman.

2 Likes

1. Rino Romano
  2. Diedrich Bader
  3. Ben Affleck

1. Tom Welling
  2. Bud Collyer
  3. Kirk Alyn

1. Joaquin Phoenix
  2. Kevin Michael Richardson
  3. Alan Tudyk

1. Michael Rosenbaum
  2. Jesse Eisenberg
  3. Clancy Brown

I haven’t seen them all. I hear great things about Watchmen, but waiting for HBO Max :sweat_smile:

1. Preacher
  2. Smallville
  3. Green Lantern the Animated Series

New 52 > Rebirth

5 Likes

How far into Gotham did you get? Just asking because for me it is the very rare show that actually managed to improve each year. Year 1 has some nice characters but it wasn’t very good, but as each season went one I thought improved to the point of greatness.

2 Likes

A lot of people put the great Gene Hackman in their top tier Lex’s. My problem is that its not a very good role. Gene Hackman is great, his Luthor I don’t think is.

2 Likes

You depart from the orthodox in naming Eisenber as best Luthor (and our spell check needs to stop incorrectly correcting Luthor). His Luthor was dialed in at an 11, I wish it would have been a 10, but I really liked it. Then his tag scene in JL shows he could have been great.

2 Likes

Forgot to answer the second half of this question… Out of ones I have seen, Arrow and Legends have been horrible at times, but also really strong at other times. I would say those are the weakest.

2 Likes

The funny thing is, we all love comics, we all love DC. Then @nu52 says Arrow has been horrible at times. I’m like “that was my favorite CW show ever!”

3 Likes

Okay, I think I’m going to keep it slow and do one at a time, draw it out – this way I can say a little more about each one.

1. Kevin Conroy

I don’t think any other actor has not only played the character as long, but has been able to do so many different sides to the character. We get the darker takes on the characters in places like the Arkham franchise and COIE, the lighter side in series like Justice League Action, and of course the classic TAS was a great balance.

1. Ben Affleck

Say what you will about BVS – throwing in a controversial opinion I think it’s one of the best DC films, but has it’s flaws – but I think it can be argued that Affleck’s Batman is the closest adaptation to the comics in any live-action film. While they may have taken it too far, I love the character arc that he goes through in the movie, and in terms of physicality, his suit, he just feels straight out of the comic. While I’m excited to see what Pattison will bring to The Batman, I’m still a little bummed out that we’ll not see Affleck’s solo movie.

And just, the freaking Martha rescue! It’s like the comic and the Arkham games had a love child, it’s beautiful.

1. Michael Keaton

It may be nostalgia talking, but I think it’s fair to say that Keaton basically wrote the book on how to properly portray Batman as he should on the big screen, with the way he plays with his voice, the physicality, the stoic nature. Every actor who played the character on the big screen since then has been replicating Keaton to some degree or another.

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think any character looks good with the trunks, even Superman. I think while the story he got them was honestly kind of terrible, his “Reborn” suit is probably my favorite of his super-suits.

I don’t know if I’d go that far, but I definitely think in characters like Superman and Wonder Woman they did tend to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and some of the books that were super praised, like Wonder Woman and Action Comics are extremely overrated.

I’d say it even improved during season 1, when they kind of started figuring out each character and didn’t try to shove every character in every episode. Then with season 2 they just went all out and each story was a wonderful mix of grit and camp. I am a little behind, I think I last watched early on in the Mad Hatter focused season.

I would agree with this, and I would add that Supergirl has been…mostly terrible. Literally, if Alex Danvers wasn’t in there, there would literally be no characters I actually like.

3 Likes

The only Rebirth books that I’ve read that are better than their New 52 versions are JLD, Green Arrow, and I’m struggling to think of another…

I don’t care for the characters, but I care about the story enough. It can be boring and was bad when it first moved to the CW, but it’s never been outright horrendously disrespectful to iconic characters like the Black Canary…

And that’s on periodt luv :sweat_smile: :joy: :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Batman: Conroy, Keaton, Bale.
Superman: Reeves, Jerry O’Connell, Henry Cavill.
Joker: Ledger, Hamill, Cameron Monoaghan.
Luthor: Jon Cryer, Clancy Brown, Gene Hackman.
DC Movie: Watchmen.
TV series: Gotham live action. Young Justice animated.
Worst: gotta go Catwoman with Halle Berry. She’s from Cleveland & I’ve never seen it, b/c I love her & I’m afraid from what I’ve heard about it. :grimacing:

7 Likes

1. Christian Bale 2. Kevin Conroy 3. Ben Affleck

1. Henry Cavil 2. Christopher Reeve 3. George Newbern

1. Heath Ledger 2. Mark Hamill 3. Joaquin Phoenix

1. Gene Hackman 2. Michael Rosenbaum 3. Clancy Brown

Best Movie - Superman: The Movie - Best TV - Batman: The Animated Series
Worst Movie - Steel - Worst TV - Birds of Prey

Not a fan of the original Watchmen comic

2 Likes