DC TV and Movie Club-Teen Titans: The Judas Contract (2017) Discussion

download

When adapting iconic storylines into movies, it is important to remain true to the source material while at the same time changing it to feel fresh to fans. One movie that did this was the 2017 animated movie Teen Titans: The Judas Contract, which was adapted from the iconic story of the same name.

After you watch this adaptation of an iconic story, discuss below and feel free to use the following questions:
-Favorite line/moment?
-Favorite character?
-What did you think of Nightwing/Starfire’s relationship?
-Would you consider this a faithful adaptation of the original story?
-How did it improve upon the story and where might it have fallen short?
-Do you think Damien will ever be less of a brat?

Say what you think and enjoy the movie!

1 Like

Certainly more so than the one from the 2003 series. Terra is still too sympathetic, but at least she’s leaning more in the direction of unrepentant monster here.

I hope not!

2 Likes

Completely agree

1 Like

For anyone wanting to brush up on the original comic, you can read it with the Dick Grayson Club this week:

2 Likes

While I wish they wouldn’t have made it part of their animated film universe and sorta did what they did with Killing Joke making it separate and just did faithfully with the characters actually in Judas Contract, I still find it to be a good movie. Christina Ricci’s voice acting for Terra is one of the highlights in my option cuz when she screams she truly screams rather than it feeling like she was holding back or scared to let It out like most voice acting.
I love how they showcased that Dick is also a detective because everyone likes to act like Batman and Tim are the only detectives in the Batfamily. It showcases how truly well rounded Dick is along with watching him save everyone, which is something that doesn’t happen often at all. In movies his skills are usually downplayed and he is resorted to being saved all the time. If it wasn’t clear my favorite character was Nightwing.
Another highlight in it is the humor.
“Why don’t we do that move you taught me last weekend?”
“While I admire your boldness, what would the team think?” :joy::joy::joy:
“Great work. You lasted far longer this time.”
beast boy snickers
“I mean in training of course. He’s very proficient when we have se–”
“KORY!” :rofl::rofl::rofl:
The list goes on for this movie but those are my favorites. I love Starfire and Nightwing’s relationship. I’m a NightStar shipper through and through. Kory is the only relationship Dick has had that help make him be and feel like his own man rather than a Batman sidekick which is something that’s still pushed to this day (don’t get me started).
Faithful adaption? It is more so than the 2003 show version and I love that Terra was evil cuz that’s what she was meant to be. She was not created to be redeemed. But it definitely could’ve been far more faithful than what it is. Damien was my least favorite part of the movie for the simple fact that until he was taken by Deathstroke it seems to be about him and follow him. This was not his story. It just goes back to what I said at the beginning. The movie shoulda been its own thing and featured the New Teen Titans point blank period. Damian really messed this one up for me. I don’t truly become interested until he’s gone so it can focus on everyone else.

2 Likes

I completely agree.

1 Like

On a scale of 1-10 I’d give it a solid 6 or 7.

1 Like

I’d give it around that too.

1 Like

I understand that people prefer classics. But I would like for once for terra to be redeemed.:disappointed_relieved: beast boys speech at the end was a bit epic though.

1 Like

She kind of was in Young Justice. I agree about Beast Boy’s speech at the end.

I’m not going to tell you that your opinion is wrong, but I don’t understand why someone would want Terra to be redeemed any more than they would want the Joker or Victor Zsasz to be redeemed. They’re all horrible, horrible people with no capacity for empathy.

1 Like

I’d say it a reasonable interpretation of the original, but updated for a younger audience that wasn’t around when it came out. Hence the reason, but not need for Damian. He has his moments, but they didn’t have to use them. They did because he resonates well with a younger demographic.

I remember when @DCDaily reviewed it. Their collectively “icky” scene when Terra is wearing way to much blush (and I’ll leave it at that), is my favorite. It is such an insight into the two characters.

We see Terra for who she really is, with her guard down, a traitorous scum who has no desire to be redeemed. She’s a user and a maggot.

We see Slade for what he truly is. Not this honorable assassin caught between a rock and a hard place, but a user of people. Pure and simple. Slade is just as much a scum bucket (and a likely larger one than Terra.) he doesn’t give a rats about his “honor” or his “code”. He’d shoot his own mother if the price was right. Slade is an irredeemable maggot as well.

Is that scene “icky”, yeah I’ll give it that. It’s supposed to be. I think people see it and it kinda makes their skin crawl and they want to think it is because of the circumstance. It’s not, it’s because we see how vile both of these characters are “on the inside”. In that sense they deserve each other. (They are my most bleeped-up OTP in DC, surpassing Joker & HQ.

I’ll give Marv & George credit, it’s probably 2 of the best character arcs they ever did, and that is saying something.

I’ve always been a Kory & Dick shipper. So I was glad to see them together and having “fun”.

My favorite character is Terra, because she is such scum. She thinks she has this all worked out, but is full of the delusions of control that many young people go through.

I think they could have gone farther with Terra & Slade’s relationship. The book certainly implies that they have been having a “physical” element. However, I see why they didn’t. It would have made that scene even more disturbing. Which I’d argue it could & should be. However, know the market for your product also applies. So I see why they didn’t.

2 Likes

Completely agree

1 Like