DC TV and Movie Club-Superman: The Movie Discussion

You should let this run, man. It’s a good discussion.

5 Likes

Ah…Superman The Movie. What can I say that hasn’t already been said? When it comes to classics, it doesn’t get any more classic than this. To say it is the best superhero movie or that Reeve was the best Superman, really does them injustice in my opinion. Something this timeless…that still holds up after 40+ years…that for most folks defined the character and the genre for decades…they should be held on a pedestal and not be compared to anything or anyone else, in my opinion.

Superman (in costume) was my favorite character, followed by bumbling Clark :slightly_smiling_face:. But they’re the same character? Sure, but one thing the movie achieves brilliantly is making the glasses and hat “disguise” believable. The makeup, the hairdo, the brilliant acting by Reeve had 7 year old me fooled the first time I watched it. It was like 2 completely different characters. Rest in peace, Christopher Reeve.

The helicopter scene with the famous “who’s got you” line is my favorite scene, starting with Clark walking out of the Daily Planet. The slow build-up of the John Williams theme as Clark was searching for a place to change…the crescendo of Superman catching Lois…and then the cherry on top of catching the helicopter…man…it remains a scene I can watch on repeat over & over again.

Another favorite scene is Clark and Martha’s goodbye in the cornfield. Hits home for me and still gives me the feels. Rest in peace, mom.

The music…oh my God the music. In my mind, there is no piece of music more iconic and no score more expressive of its movie, than this one. Sometimes it’s just playing in the back of my head and I catch myself humming it along for no good reason. John Williams is a national treasure. Make the man a statue or something.

What did I think of the portrayals, etc? Like I said, pedestal. Until I seriously started reading comic books, which was 24 years or so after I watched this movie for the first time, it was the Superman reference point for me. Everything else I watched or read after that got compared to the movie. My favorite comic books are my reference point now, but it took me a loooong time to get there.

Superman The Movie…a timeless classic.

4 Likes

Just did. Not gonna close

4 Likes

I completely agree. This movie has and will definitely continue to hold up for generations. It would be hard to come up with any other superhero movie like this or even an actor who is so believably and amazingly the character like Reece is with Superman.

3 Likes

I neglected to mention this in my first reply, but the Love Theme is one of the absolute best pieces of music in the movie, which says something, as it really only plays in full during the end credits.

It is to love what the opening theme is to high adventure: PERFECTION.

2 Likes

Thought I’d throw this in

3 Likes

Great video @Aquamon! For a second I thought he was being interview by President Jimmy Carter! :superman_hv_4:

3 Likes

If there’s any takeaway from the film it’s that old people need to be listened to but should not be in charge of making decisions!

1 Like

What Was Your Favorite Moment?:
Clark Kent Meeting With Jor-El In The Fortress Of Solitude
What Was Your Favorite Line?:
‘‘You’ll Believe That A Man Can Fly’’
What Was Your Favorite Character?:
Superman (Clark Kent/Kal-El)
How Do You Think This Movie Portrays Iconic Characters Such As Superman, Lex Luthor And Jor-El?:
Very Great!
Is Christopher Reeve The Best Superman?
Yes He Is

1 Like

Completely agree. Great to see that you found this. Maybe look for some more Superman: The Movie content in the club in the near future.