DC TV and Movie Club-Batman (1989) Discussion

download

There are a few movies that define a genre and for comic book movies one of those is 1989’s Batman. Without it we wouldn’t have had Batman: The Animated Series, The DC Film Universe, or probably comic book movies as we know it.

This week we are going to discuss this amazing piece of history.

Feel free to use these questions:
-What was your favorite line/moment?
-Who was your favorite character?
-What do you think this movie does well and where it falls short?
-Is this your favorite portrayal of Batman and The Joker?
-Why do you think this movie holds up over 30 years later?
-Michael Keaton was considered a controversial choice for Batman as a comedy actor. Do you think this was warranted?

Enjoy this amazing movie and discuss below!

3 Likes

What was your favorite line/moment?

The final shot with Batman on a ledge with the bat signal lit in the sky.

Bruce Wayne

Does well: The score is a classic, gotham city itself is well designed, the bat mobile, costume design, Jack nicholson.

Falls Short: Batman killing, some lines of dialogue, focusing more on joker than batman, kind of a weak story and character motivations, the “lets get nuts scene.”

I like the portrayals but not my favorite.

Iconic score, Costume and production design, Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton, and the fact that is was the first serious live action portrayal of batman.

3 Likes

Completely agree

2 Likes
  1. “Six is good.”
  2. Myself, of course. :wink:
2 Likes

I specially like how gritty the set was. Gotham City has this mystic quality almost as if the city itself IS a character. More so than any other DC city. I believe Burton’s Gotham set captures this aspect very well​:four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

Hello @N81, I’m ready to make my report on one of my top 10 most favorite film ever! So here we go! (Only the different Joker said that!)

1. My favorite moment is the music plays in the background when Batman follows Joker and Vicki up the stairs to fighting the Joker on the roof of Cathedral.
    There’s so many favorite quotes from the movie I like, for my good friend @AlexanderKnox, one of them is, “Lieutenant is there a six foot bat in Gotham? If so is he on the Police Payroll? If so what’s he pulling now after taxes?”
  2. The Joker all the way! Jack Nicholson does a great job playing him.
  3. I think it tells Batman story very well, the Negative part of the movie was Alfred of all people let Vicki Vale in the Batcave! And she’s such a whiner in that scene!
  4. Yes, love the Batsuit and Joker’s outfit, I think it was a perfect casting in my opinion.
  5. You can never get sick of this movie after 30 years, this was the first film that took Batman very seriously and not campy like the 1966 tv show (which I also like.)
  6. Calm down people, don’t judge the book by it’s cover! I was a kid at that time and couldn’t care less. In 2007 I was not thrill about Heath Ledger playing the Joker, til I saw the trailer I thought The Dark Knight look really good and was excited for it til tragically struck, Ledger passaway. Had he live at the time the movie was released I would’ve been amazed by his performance of The Joker and hope he would make more great films.

Well that was fun, hope this thread get a sequel!:grin:

4 Likes

Also Pattinson got a lot of hate but hopefully that follows all this and people are thinking he is one of the best.

1 Like

I think that this film really solidified superhero movies as a genre. I personally prefer Reeve Superman and think that also had a major impact but this definitely showed you can have a gritty and darker comic book movie and not stick with campy stuff.

2 Likes

-What was your favorite line/moment?
My favorite line is when Bruce is trying to tell Vicki that he’s Batman and he tell her “You’re a nice girl, and I like you a lot, but for right now, shut up.”
Bob.
The score is fantastic and is the best part of the movie! Some of the dialog towards the end though isn’t very good.
My favorite live action portrayal.
Because it was a milestone. It was really the first of its kind, Batman/Bruce Wayne were serious, the love affair with Vicki Vale, the unique origin story, and definitely the score. And also because it’s just a classic with an amazing score!
-Michael Keaton was considered a controversial choice for Batman as a comedy actor. Do you think this was warranted?
Before anybody saw the movie it could have been. But, nobody does Batman/ Bruce Wayne like Michael Keaton. He was a great choice! He was perfect for the role.

1 Like

Completely agree. Conroy is my favorite Batman personally but Keaton is up there. Did a fantastic job

1 Like

Such a great movie it felt more like a mob movie. Jack was so good

2 Likes

I know. He played a more golden age joker really well.

2 Likes