DC Toys in Christmas Catalogs

Print Christmas catalogs are most likely (and sadly) a thing of the past. For younger kids, they may not even know what they are, but us older kids certainly know the toy goodness that could be found, year after year, in the holiday tomes from Sears, J.C. Penney and the like.

We especially know the DC toy goodness that could be found in these catalogs. Imagery that kept our eyes fixated to the page(s) for what felt like hours as we stared in awe and hoped that “Santa” would deliver these delightful toys to us, come Christmas morning.

Here are a few Christmas catalog scans I recently came across that I felt others might enjoy:

Do you have fond memories of gazing at DC toys in Christmas catalogs, or of toys you got that you know “Santa” procured from a catalog? Share your memories (and catalog scans if you like) below! :santa: :christmas_tree: :books: :gift:

12 Likes

Oh that Batcave set is pretty cool!

3 Likes

1990 JC Penny catalog.

7 Likes

It is! Check out how cheap the vehicles are, too.

A few weeks ago, I came across an opened, beat-up, likely broken Toy Biz Batmobile whose price was higher than a brand new one in 1989. The difference 31 years makes.

3 Likes

Interesting to see how the '89 page I posted shows the Toy Biz prototypes, while your page has the production pieces.

I always looked at the Joker Van at Kay-Bee, but I ultimately passed on it.

4 Likes

You know now that I think about it, I’m not sure if the Robin & Joker I had were from the Super Powers of Super Heroes line. My LCS actually has both and the robin is so similar and the Joker I had shot water from his flower lapel which I’m pretty sure the Super Heroes one did but not sure about the Super Powers one. I know the Super Heroes ones don’t look as good in the face and overall I guess but I wanna say it looked more like the SP Joker and not the SH one.

4 Likes

The Joker in Toy Biz’s Batman line utilized most of the Super Powers Joker’s mold, except for the head. That’s the one that squirted water through his orchid.

The Super Powers Joker had the “Power Action Madcap Mallet!” smashing action feature, came with a green mallet and his action feature was activated by squeezing his legs together.

1990 was a weird year for movie Joker figures. Toy Biz’s figure, utilizing 3/4’s of the Super Powers mold originally designed by Kenner, was on sale at exactly the same time as Kenner’s Sky Escape Joker (same body as the SP figure, but minus the action feature component and with a new head) from The Dark Knight Collection. Kooky! :joker_hv_1:

5 Likes

Okay thanks, yeah it had to of been the Toy Biz’s Joker then. Well that’s great actually b/c he’s much cheaper than the SP one :joy:

3 Likes

You could always get this little (literally, he’s 2" tall) guy:

8 Likes

:joy: Didn’t even know they did a line of mini’s! They’d make great Bday cake decorators though.

4 Likes

Gentle Giant released them around early 2016. Walgreens carried them, and knowing them could still have some on the shelf.

This is the full group of single carded mini-figures:

There’s also a SDCC '16 exclusive Trinity set:

7 Likes

:joy:

Oh that SDCC Trinity set is awesome!

4 Likes

I dig Walgreens, but they hang onto stuff for a while. They still have Star Wars: The Black Series figures from 2015 and '16, along with old Marvel Legends.

5 Likes

Oh wow! Yeah besides that initial boom in sales from SW:TFA, toy sales didn’t seem to go as they had planed. Which is really sad b/c those other 2 movies were so good. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Walgreens is carrying more toys right now, due to Christmas. I believe they’ve got some Imaginext Super Friends two-packs, along with Multiverse.

4 Likes

Googled those Super Friends but didn’t see any :thinking: I got enough room for maybe 2 more statues with my limited space right now though. I would have to buy new shelves/bookcase if I got anymore figures and then would have to figure out were the heck I would put it :joy:

4 Likes

Oh I love the Bat vehicles here!

4 Likes

When I was really little my Uncle J.E. had an old Montgomery Ward catalogue with several pages worth of Batman toys. I am not sure what year this catalogue was, but it must have been 1966 or 1967 as the toys were all clearly inspired by the TV show. I remember looking through it and thinking everything was so cool.

I tried finding some pictures of an old Montgomery Ward catalogue, but I could only find one and it’s not very big. This is from the 1966 catalogue.
Montgomery Ward 1966 catalog

6 Likes

That utility belt is pretty sweet!

4 Likes

Google “Imaginext DC Super Friends”. The line’s been in production since 2008, so there’s plenty of product out there. :slight_smile:

4 Likes