DC Superhero Girls Discussion

Buongiorno. I was just wondering what y’all’s opinions are about the current DC Superhero Girls series on Cartoon Network. It may be a bit juvenile at times, to be sure, but on the whole, it’s a fun, charming, well-animated cartoon that proves, if nothing else, that a slice-of-life comedy starring young superheroes can work well (unlike a certain OTHER CN property, but I digress.)

Leave it to Lauren Faust to take the saccharine, sappy, poorly-animated toy commercial that was the original Superhero Girls series and turn it into something watchable… or it would be IF IT ACTUALLY AIRED REGULARLY! God, CN with their f***ing hiatuses are gonna kill me someday.

So, share your thoughts on DC Superhero Girls in The comment section below.

3 Likes

While I prefer TTG, I’m glad that DCSHG is getting produced and broadcast. And that it’s consciously pursuing a young female demographic that has been (A) under represented in superhero cartoons (B) and is sub genre that people have been asking for for quite some time.

I hope it ends up on DCU eventually. It would be a service to the community and hopefully attract more females to the DC comics world.

3 Likes

Haven’t sat down and just watched any of the shows start to finish, but from what I’ve seen from clips on YouTube, I prefer the original. The original seemed like superhero adventures styled around a girl comedy high school setting. The new one feels like tiny disjointed bits with all the characters acting pretty freaking wacky. It seems like a wacky comedy first and a superhero adventure second.

Maybe I’ve not seen enough or it’s just not to my tastes. Obviously, I’m not the target demographic. I’m cool with getting more girls into the genre.

1 Like

I enjoy both versions, but also prefer the first version. New version is a little too disjointed for me.

I guess there’s a benefit to a stale world. It allows anyone to watch any episode at any time without losing context, which is probably great for children. I just don’t get as invested personally if there isn’t a longer journey to be a part of.

1 Like

As an ardent fan of Teen Titans Go and the original DC Superhero Girls series, I’m highly enjoying the new show. It’s fun.

1 Like

I’m really liking the series, I’ve seen a lot of the episodes of YouTube but I really enjoy the bright and fun of the comics, and I’m not sure why they aren’t added here, at least the issues published more than a year ago like this series: https://www.comixology.com/DC-Super-Hero-Girls-Spaced-Out-2017-2018/comics-series/107395?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2Fsc29fYm91Z2h0L3BkX3NpbXNfczJz

1 Like

Spaced Out was released a long time ago digitally, but the physical release isn’t until the end of May this year. They are still making good money on it, so my guess is we will probably not see it here for a while yet.

I feel like I need to watch it a but more to have a better opinion on it. It’s just cute to me, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

2 Likes

Yes, cute is good!

1 Like

Cute is indeed good.

1 Like

I always felt the original DCSHG was too childish, but the new series — while expectedly cute — is also clever and witty enough to stand out and is shaping up to be one of Cartoon Network’s best new shows. Here’s hoping it has a long and meaningful future.

1 Like

I kinda of look at the first iteration as more a Teen Titans compared to second iteration is more like TTG.

Although Teen Titans had more dark/very serious moments the I think the first DCSHG did.

1 Like

I like it

1 Like

The current DC Superhero Girls series is wicked fun. I’m diggin’ it.

3 Likes

I know this is an old thread, but I have been gradually catching this show as episodes are added to Netflix. It keeps getting better and funnier as it goes on! I’ve been drawn to it for its cartoony style, but I like the clever takes on the DC characters.
I wish this show had been around when my daughter was a kid.
Anybody still following this show?
It would be a great addition to DC Universe​:blush:

3 Likes

I loved the first version (other than some odd costume choices) of the show and comic! I watched some of the second series, and both the style and personalities seemed more like zany caricatures than actual characters. That could still be fun or cute or whatever, but it’s not my preference. I haven’t tried the new comics, so maybe those will work better for me.

2 Likes

I’m still watching. Like c02goddess, I’m partial to the first version.
I’m really enjoying the new version too, but it doesn’t have the same heart in it. The first one created bonds between characters with the school as glue. I miss that. The new one is louder but I don’t feel it.

I haven’t seen the housepest episode. For some reason it isn’t getting released to the digital stores. The rest I have seen.

2 Likes

@c02goddess.16092
@Pow-Pow
I haven’t seen any of the original version, although I can certainly see why fans of it might not be as fond of this iteration.
I personally dig the zaniness of it.
“Loud” is also one of the first things that comes to mind to describe it :joy::joy:

As a side note, although my granddaughters are a little too young for it, I’ve started a big collection of dolls from BOTH versions for them! The original designs look much better as dolls​:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I definitely prefer the Lauren Faust version over the old one.
The previous version had this sugar coated, Disney-fied take with all the characters. With everyone more or less having the same personality traits, i.e “Sweet, kind, and means well.”

The current version gives the characters very distinct personalities and adheres more closely with the characters’ lore from the comics despite it being a high school setting.

It is zany at times, especially the Shorts, but the actual episodes do have their moments and times when the characters do grow.
I think the show mainly suffers from not having the same exposure as TTG and mainly Warner Bros not knowing what to do with their animation division. And you can’t develop long story arcs and story plans if your future is uncertain, or if you clash with the studio heads over ideas, or just them not giving your product the opportunity to grow.

And the lack of advertising, the questionable time slot, and meager viewing schedule doesn’t help.

2 Likes

Hi I’m Cesar Gomez

I have a Dc Super Hero Girls idea episode for season two of Dc Super Hero Girls, it’s called #deadlysea.

As Super Hero Girls is heading to the beach for vacation for fun. As Super Hero Girls is having fun at the beach, there was a sea creature and sea monster is coming to destroy the city, but it’s up to Super Hero Girls to save the city before destroying the city. So as sea creature and sea monster is defeated and go back on the water

I agree this episode that the Super Hero Girls is wearing a swimsuit, but this will be a good episode

We need also Auqalad and Mera there.