DC’s Legion of Super-Heroes Animated Movie First Look

Check it out!

Supergirl is headed to the 31st century with Legion of Super-Heroes, an upcoming animated feature due out early next year from Warner Bros. Animation, DC and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.

Meg Donnelly voice stars as Supergirl/Kara and Harry Shum Jr. stars as Brainaic 5. The cast also includes Darren Criss as Superman, Matt Bomer as The Flash and Jensen Ackles as Batman.

The story picks up as Kara, devastated by the loss of Krypton, struggles to adjust to her new life on Earth. Her cousin, Superman, mentors her and suggests she leave their space-time to attend the Legion Academy in the 31st century, where she makes new friends and a new enemy: Braniac 5. Meanwhile, she must contend with a mysterious group called the Dark Circle as it searches for a powerful weapon held in the Academy’s vault.

The project hails from supervising producer Butch Lukic, director Jeff Wamester, writer Josie Campbell, producers Jim Krieg and Kimberly S. Moreau and executive producer Sam Register.

The voice cast is rounded out by Cynthia Hamidi as Dawnstar, Gideon Adlan as Phantom Girl, Ely Henry as Bouncing Boy, Robbie Daymond as TimberWolf & Brianiac 4, Yuri Lowenthal as Mon El, Eric Lopez as Cosmic Boy & Chemical King, Darin De Paul as Brainiac & Solomon Grundy, Ben Diskin as Arms Fall off Boy & Brainiac 2, Victoria Grace as Shadow Lass, Jennifer Hale as Alura, Daisy Lightfoot as Triplicate Girl and Zeno Robinson as Invisible Kid & Brainiac 3.

9 Likes

Hey, this looks great! I’m excited to check it out! Anything with Supergirl in it is alright in my books, so I’m hoping she takes center stage in this film! I’ve loved every DC Animated Film so I’m 100% sure that I’ll love this one too! Super excited for it!

5 Likes

Looks awe:00_supergirl_arrowverse:ome ™:+1:. Seems like this one is set in the Nan of Tomorrow universe. Cool.

5 Likes

Yay, Phantom Girl.

4 Likes

I thought Bendis was involved in this?

3 Likes

No, he is working on a made for adults (probably means M rating) tv show of them.

3 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know there were two Legion projects. All the success to both! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

First trailer

9 Likes

Cool. @idle453.87595 and @StrangeVisitor have you seen this? It actually looks good!

3 Likes

No, not yet, I don’t believe it’s out yet. The only DC Animated thing I ever saw in advance of it’s official release was Red Son. I went to a Q&A for that with the cast and some of the crew the month it came out. One of the nice things about living in LA is the opportunity to do stuff like that, in fact I am going to one on Saturday for Till.

4 Likes

I 've seen the trailer and it does look good. I liked Arm Fall Off Boy’s appearance. I do wish Brainy had hair though.

4 Likes

Cool. To clarify, I meant have you seen this trailer? :man_facepalming: The release date is in January 2023.

3 Likes

Yes - Let me find my comment - I thought I made it here, but apparently it was on the Superman subreddit, not here:

I’m not a fan of these mad lib types of adaptations, where they are taking a few things from various comic sources (such as the your cousin is dangerous stuff from the Superman/Batman run by Loeb); so far, this doesn’t appear to be as over-stuffed and plot convoluted as Great Power, but that also didn’t look as over-stuffed from the trailer. It just reeks of lazy and unimaginative screen writing and I’m really over that from these, as much as there is a bunch of other stuff I have enjoyed and really liked about this set of movies.

4 Likes

It comes off to me as ambitious and imaginative screen writing.

4 Likes

I agree. I haven’t enjoyed the latest batch of Animated Films. I need to check out the stuff on HBOMAX to see if there’s anything worth buying.

I used to just buy them sight unseen because the level of quality and the extra features. Either their quality is falling or I’ve been desensitized to them. Red Son, Hush, and WW: Bloodlines all fell flat for me.

3 Likes

A better example of what I mean is the comments I’ve made here and elsewhere about Beware My Power, since that is complete and, more or less, everyone interested, has seen it.

I don’t think it’s imaginative to give an animated introduction to John Stewart a combination of Kyle and Hal’s origin stories. They kept him a military man, and I’m not that familiar with his original run to know if he was as much of a pacifist in the books, but otherwise, it’s Hal and Kyle.

Likewise, versus keeping it simple, akin to what the DCW shows have been doing, John alone or even with a truly small team, cannot solve the problem in the movie (and partially so, because the movie’s Big Bad also needs to be overly complicated with an excessive introduction of villains and an overly complex villainous story - we have not just the Rann/Thanagar war with the Parallax arc, amongst other things.

I don’t have problems with ambition, this is stuff they’ve been doing in all these movies. And I don’t have a problem with a decision to say never do a Kyle movie, much less origin story, thus giving it to someone else - but a good screenwriter should be able to come up with an original thought. That’s NOT what happened in Beware My Power and it does not appear to be happening here.

3 Likes

are you calling “beware my power” “great power”?

3 Likes

2/3rd of those stank and 1/3 was not very good. Still in that time frame they made Justice LEague vs Fatal Five, Soul of the Dragon, and Justice Society World war II.

4 Likes

Yes, I did actually make that mistake!
Clark Face Palm

5 Likes

I liked JL and Soul, but I haven’t seen Society. I have a bunch I need to watch.

2 Likes