DC Round Robin 2022: The Final Face-Off! Voting is CLOSED

Ohh that’s interesting… I don’t know much about Earth-13 so I wouldn’t have caught something like that, but knowing that even last year’s robins comic was supposed to be main continuity, the possible implications of that… eesh

4 Likes

:shushing_face: If you click “show results”, you can change your vote.

4 Likes

Going all in for Superboy

13 Likes

Go Superboy! The preview was great!

9 Likes

Why isn’t Instagram nor twitter a factor for the last 2 books considering not everyone has a dc universe infinite account? It would make voting much more accessible and fair for both sides.

5 Likes

Here’s hoping Superboy takes it.

14 Likes

Sorry, JLD, you had stellar runs in the past year, which everyone should check out btw(!), it’s Superboys time to step into the spotlight.

12 Likes

Honestly I think it kind of makes sense to keep it just here for the last round? If the website were available in more countries it would be more fair, but honestly I think it’s a better way for them to guage demand, since people who care enough about the outcome to overcome the very minor barrier of needing to make an account on here are most likely to actually buy the comic they voted for if it wins? Making it accessible to the general public opens it up to a lot of people who only watch the movies/tv shows/etc, which could skew the results unfairly in favor of characters who have been featured in other media and not result in a comic that sells well for DC. That’s just my two cents on it, though.

10 Likes

Yeah I’m definitely in the it’s odd to only do it on DCU after all the other rounds.

3 Likes

Because the contest is at least 50% about driving users to sign up for this service. It’s marketing, not just for comics, but DCUniverse Infinite. By opening it up for the first three rounds, it gets attention and hopefully interest in the outcome, and then by limiting it to this platform in the final round, it drives interest in signing up for the service.

11 Likes

Aren’t you able to register and vote without an actual subscription?

6 Likes

That I don’t know, actually! But they’re limiting who can read the 10 page previews to paid subscribers, I believe, so I think that’s how they’re incentivizing the subscription.

7 Likes

This is still unfair. I completely understand where you are coming from, however these books will be published and made available internationally. Thus it simply wouldn’t be fair to limit access to voting only to the U.S because that would also skew the votes. I have friends from Brazil, Argentina, the Philippines, the U.K etc. who would love to vote for their favorite book, but can’t because dc wanted to pull off some marketing strategy. This isn’t fair to the fans and only caters to a niche demographic of them. + to your point about outside media interfering with the votes, I agree, however these are the faults/consequences of having people voting for books instead of just publishing the few that all would enjoy.

5 Likes

Well, we had a long and fairly intense debate about EXCLUDING twitter and instagram list thread, because they were “unfair”. I really hope we don’t have another debate this thread going the other direction.

8 Likes

I mean, I don’t disagree with you, I think hosting it on a platform that’s not available to the vast majority of the planet is unfair, and I would hope that if they continue to do this in future years, they’ll put significant effort into rolling availability out to more countries. And I don’t even really like that they do these tournaments at all; the lack of transparency about the vote tallies and what happens to the comics that don’t win the whole tournament is hugely frustrating and I’m really not a fan. But, under the current circumstances, I think hosting the last round here makes the most sense, especially since the first rounds were open to everyone; it’s not like nobody but this platform gets a say at all.

6 Likes

aaa happy to see Kon doing well!! i love him happy to see him get a spot in the limelight so second! Lets go Superboy!!!

14 Likes

Yeah Earth-13 is one of my favorites of the alternative earths (Earth 47 is the other. Talk about opposite vibes) since its the only place I get to see my favorite version of Fate, Jared Stevens, in any capacity. So I pay attention when they show up. Obviously they’re in the Multiversity series (where they’re actually fighting the vampire Justice League), and they have a story in the Very Merry Multiverse holiday special. As a whole they show up again in Justice League Incarnate and before that Fate was in Infinite Frontier. So it’s not a lot of appearances but more than everyone who isn’t Crime Syndicate seems to get. So making them the target of a Suicide Squad book just seems like such a waste…

6 Likes

You do bring up some good points about the lack of DCUI international availability, but like @gemrook mentioned, I also think this is still the best choice given the current circumstances. But that doesn’t mean said circumstances are ideal, and DCUI definitely needs to up its international game ahead of a presumptive 3rd Round Robin next year. Of course there are a ton of reasons why that should happen aside from just the tournament, but getting more voices from around the world to weigh in on these polls would definitely enhance it nonetheless

9 Likes

I kinda hope we do, because it would be hilarious and show just how weird and fractured the fandom can be. :rofl:

Anyway, as for the previews: Honestly, of the two, I was definitely more intrigued and curious as to what would happen with Suicide Squad Dark over Superboy. The Superboy preview wasn’t bad, but I already kinda knew what was going to happen next. But it looks like Superboy’s going to win and I’ll happily give it a shot. I do hope that maybe SSD gets a nice, beefy one-shot or something.

Also, I think with Superboy’s winning, it’s going to definitely be used against the people who complained about how Batman and Suicide Squad books shouldn’t be allowed in the competition in years to come.

6 Likes

But I want this contest to end with better fan feeling than last time! It’s gone mostly better, I think. Don’t want to fall down into acrimony in the last lap!

8 Likes