DC Roleplaying Games

We need rocksteady what about that Superman game I really had high hopes for that

2 Likes

I forgot about the Smallville RPG, I have that one too – found it used, have never played or even read it. Same thing with the Authority RPG, which I guess is technically a DC roleplaying game as well.

3 Likes

UPDATE: I just picked up the Swamp Thing Sourcebook for DC Heroes! Haven’t had a chance to read through it yet, but I love the idea of running a campaign that picks up where the DC Original series leaves off.

1 Like

Congrats! That’s a great Sourcebook.
Cool idea too. Lots of material there to draw from and have some returning villains.

1 Like

Just picked up the last book I needed for my DC Heroes collection. Who’s Who in the DC Universe #3.
Grabbed it for $20. It usually sells for over $100 nowadays.

1 Like

Fantastic sessions outlined in this thread. And the beauty of the RPG concept – it’s portable and waiting for other brains to plug in their own scenarios and get rollin’.

1 Like

I have been planning on doing a DCU game for a long time but players kinda flake out over time. I get things printed out and start working on it. Then they go and join some 4th or 5th ed game.
My wife really wants to play as Zatana in a JLD styled adventure. I would be down for running it. I also want to run a New Guardians styled game where members from different corps. come together to solve a galaxy wide threat.

3 Likes

I have a funny connection to time when I think about the group I ran with the old Mayfair DC RPG.

I wanted to run my game in the DC Universe, since I was an avid comic reader and there was so much great source material, but my players didn’t dig it. Most of them weren’t comic readers. On top of that there was ridiculous infighting between the players. Additionally, the experience point system, which we were using as written, was on its way to turning our street level heroes into Wonder Woman level heroes. All these things added up to a frustration level for me.

I decided to do one big, final scenario and then call it quits with that particular RPG. I tied the final issue (was still thinking of this as a comic series) into what was going on at DC at the time. The final issue was an Invasion! crossover. Like I said, this was when Invasion! was happening - I didn’t write the story years after the fact. The final parts of that crossover had yet to be published. My PCs had a hideout that was a mystical cave that had teleporting doors that could be re-attuned to a variety of different locales. The Invasion force caught wind of it and decided it would make for a perfect strategic resource for the continuing invasion. They sent in a strike force that consisted of one member from each of the invading races - one Durlan, one Psion, one Dominator, etc. I remember that the one Thanagarian I made was armed with some weird psionic weapon, an idea I directly stole from the Alan Moore Swamp Thing run. During Alec’s space travels, he ran afoul of some pretty sadistic Thanagarians who used some brutal psionic weaponry on Swamp Thing. I armed my Thanagarian with that same weapon.

In the end, the heroes discovered they could not beat the strike force. They had to functionally set the cave HQ to self-destruct and make a getaway. The cave blew up taking the strike force with it. I had their escape be aided by The Teen Titans, with Cyborg flying them out in a jet. True to their squabbling form, the most obnoxious of the players pulled a gun out and tried to kill his unconscious rival, another player-character, who lied unconscious in the jet with him. Another PC intervened and saved him. The obnoxious player ended up escaping with the aid of a different PC. All of that stuff happening in the end really hammered home why that group had to stop.

About a year later, I ended up running a sequel campaign, which was in Champions, not set in the DCU. Some, but not all players returned, including the obnoxious ones. Some played the same characters. Others made new ones. That one ended up being the best campaign I ever ran.

4 Likes

My pastor was telling me a story about the Mayfair DC game.
At a convention, someone was playing Pa Kent during the Death of Superman. Pa Kent goes to punch Doomsday and rolls a crit. Then kept rolling crits until the point Pa Kent ko’d Doomsday in 1 hit.

1 Like

For anyone who wants digital copies of the DCA game. I am pretty sure you can find the mayfair books here as well.
Not sure if DC will let me keep this link. They are free to delete this if I am violating policy. But here ya guys go.

1 Like

This inspired me!
Imma’ Book Mark this and get back to it Thursday night when Amazon delivers what I just ordered.

3 Likes

After watching Crisis, I really want to bring back my Arrowverse campaign from several years back. It was set after season 3 of Arrow, when Oliver had left the city, and the players were the heroes stepping up to fill the void. We used DC characters who hadn’t appeared on Arrow or Flash yet, but would fit in well. Blue Beetle, Black Lightning (this was before they announced his show), Sandman (the JSA version), Manhunter (Kate Spencer, miraculously not dead after the whole Deathstroke thing in season 2), probably a couple others I’m forgetting.

Looks like it’s time to dust off my Second Edition box set…

3 Likes

I have a buddy at work who I talk to constantly about starting up a D&D game but it never happens because neither of us are very enthusiastic about DMing but then I saw this post and looked around online and found these:

Now I’m SUPER eager to make a story to play with all this! Especially after Year of the Villain I’m ALL ABOUT causing some bloody Super Villian Mayhem!

I told him I was going to murder his whole family while he watched and he was all like…

“Cool! I can’t wait!”

But while I was looking on Amazon I also found this:

My dad and I play a lot of board games and REALLY got in to Talisman until it got so big it was too ridiculous to play. So I’m REAL excited to play this as well as paint the mineatures!

Again…

After Year of the Villain I’m ALL ABOUT some villainy!!!

I’ll post before and after pictures this weekend after I finish painting!!!

2 Likes

The Watchmen Companion that released recently contains all the Watchmen material that was released for the DC Heroes RPG.
I’m hoping we maybe get a new reprint of the 3rd edition rules.

2 Likes

I think I must have tried running Mutants & Masterminds at least three times over the years. I cannot get into the mechanics of that game. Maybe I need to play as a player with a GM who likes those mechanics, to show me what it is supposed to look like, but I could never make them feel right.

1 Like

Not DC. I’am a master at settlers of catan. Actually, 1-2 DC friends’ brothers is a national judge for settlers national championship. He played a game vs all the judges for fun & won. After that I said, is it fair for me to call him a super nerd now? He said absolutely.

1 Like

M&M can be real hard to GM, especially with the way damage and powers work. I sold my M&M collection after I reacquired a good DC Heroes collection.

2 Likes

I’m not going to have time to sit down with a group of people for an extended amount of time until the end of March but I’ll let you know what I think of Mutants & Masterminds.

I’ve been listening to tutorials on YouTube at wirk and it seems pretty fun though.

2 Likes

M&M is definitely a fun game, just a bit hard to manage sometimes. I ran two long campaigns with it. Looking forward to hearing your experiences.

1 Like

Before:

After:

Painting mineatures is one of my favorite things!!!

3 Likes