DC Roleplaying Games

Anyone else here play TTRPG’s?
We play DC Adventures and DC Heroes when not playing D&D. (There was also a DC Universe RPG, but it wasn’t too good)
DC Heroes is the best imo, but is pretty pricey now being out of print. I’ve got a copy of the 3rd edition, The Batman RPG based on a slimmed down 2nd edition, and Blood of Heroes (which is sort of a 4th edition without DC license)
Totally worth picking up any of these if you have any interest.

13 Likes

Ooo! This sounds great! I have a group that meets weekly for 5 hours where we play a lot of non-D&D role playing games. We’ve been playing a lot of Monster of the Week lately. Maybe I can convince them to play through a DC-themed adventure :smiley:

5 Likes

The Batman RPG can still be gotten for between $10-$15, and would be a good choice for some one-shots or occasional play. (You can also find a lot of character write-ups online with a google search.)
I managed to pick up Blood of Heroes for $15 and DC Heroes 3e for $20, when each regularly sell for $75 now, so there are still deals out there.

3 Likes

Sweet! Thanks for the info! I’ll have to check to see if my local games store has it when our group next meets there.

2 Likes

I’ve had a two person DC Adventures campaign going on for years now. My partner and I take turns running it for each other. My side is about the Red Hood Gang taking control of Gotham City’s underworld, and occasionally smooching. Her side is about The Question and his allies traveling the world and uncovering grand conspiracies both political and metaphysical. We know our audiences well.

10 Likes

Sounds awesome!

2 Likes

It is! We’ve had a lot of fun. Currently, Red Hood is dealing with a mysterious new vigilante who calls himself the Arkham Knight. No spoilers here.

Question, meanwhile, has been busy unraveling the secrets of President Lex Luthor. Q has strong suspicions that the true power behind the throne isn’t Luthor himself, but his Speaker for the House — Maxwell Lord.

5 Likes

Nice! Amazing stuff.

2 Likes

I totally forgot about the DC Universe game. I picked it up because it had Kyle Rayner (and the rest of the 90s JLA characters) on the box but never got around to trying it out.

4 Likes

I’m three sessions into a monthly game of Monster Of The Week and it’s fantastic. Definitely my current favourite RPG.

2 Likes

Anyone remember the Smallville roleplaying game?

3 Likes

Yes!
I was at Gen Con the year it was released. Both it and DC Adventures were released that year, and the designers of each game had a fun little exchange about what their Superman had that the other game didn’t.

3 Likes

I’ve always wanted to play it but I can find any PDF files for it :frowning:

3 Likes

PDF’s for licensed products are tough to get, especially after that license is no longer held by the company. Used copies on Amazon and eBay are around $50.
It was a fun, weird system. More about character interaction than action.

3 Likes

I’ve always been more of a story guy than a action guy anyway so that sounds good to me.

3 Likes

Are all of them out of print? Any more recent or current DC RPG’s out there?

2 Likes

I think Mutants and Masterminds has the DC license currently.

3 Likes

No rpg company currently has the DC license. Sadly, all DC rpg’s are currently out of print.

3 Likes

Yeah, I just went looking for the DC Adventures M&M supplements and couldn’t find them anywhere. That sucks.

2 Likes

You can get all but the Universe book (book 4) for under $40 each on Amazon. I think I saw one of the books for $20 on eBay earlier today.

2 Likes