DC Reveals First Wave of Milestone Comics!

Following 2020’s surprise panel at DC FanDome Hall of Heroes, DC today announced more details on the return of the fan-favorite Milestone universe of characters from the city of Dakota.

“Since the FanDome panel, Reggie [Hudlin], Denys [Cowan], and our editorial team have been working incredibly hard to bring this new Milestone to life,” said DC publisher and chief creative officer Jim Lee. “It’s been exciting to see fresh and contemporary takes on the Dakota universe coming together; I think that both new fans and old will be pleased with the results.”

In addition to being one of the co-founders of Milestone Media, Denys Cowan is a legendary comic book artist with a prolific DC pedigree, providing art for series such as The Question, The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage, Batman Black & White, and Dominique Laveau: Voodoo Child. Reginald “Reggie” Hudlin is a partner in Milestone Media, as well as an Oscar- and Emmy-nominated film and television producer and director. His comic book credits include award-winning runs on Black Panther and Spider-Man for Marvel.

Check out the full story on DCComics.com News now!
Now for an amazing first look at some beloved characters!

Are you looking forward to the return of Milestone? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below! :point_down:

25 Likes

Its Back!

4 Likes

Awesome!!!

5 Likes

Awesome™:+1:
The designs look great.

4 Likes

Oh yeah! :smiley:

2 Likes

I am brand new to Milestone, but this looks good.

4 Likes

Look forward to reading these comics, it’s been awhile, since they were cancelled.

2 Likes

I missed Milestone the first time around back in the 90s, I won’t this time.

And I actually like the look of Static for once…

Nikolas Draper-Ivey. That’s my guy. New favorite artist. (Ha!)

MILESTONE RETURNS: INFINITE EDITION #0 in two weeks.

From the print edition solicitation:

• At last, it’s the return of the legendary Milestone Comics! This one shot features twenty-four all-new pages chronicling the events of the Big Bang: the police-brutality protest gone wrong that changed the face of the city of Dakota forever by unleashing a wave of superpowers across its population! As the world watches, a bullied teenager will become the hero known as Static… a framed scientist will go on the run as the superweapon Hardware… and a stranded alien will meet an ambitious young woman who will transform his life, and remake the pair as the all-powerful Icon and Rocket!

• Also included is the 17-page primer story originally released online during the world-famous DC FanDome event, further expanding on our heroes’ origins and where they’re going next… and setting up an entire world of allies, enemies, and surprises!

• The original Milestone changed the face of superhero comics forever, introducing the industry to a wave of Black talent who still shape the conversation…and the new Milestone intends to raise the bar! This is the perfect jumping-on point—don’t miss out!

Cool.

Or I guess, “Cool Like Dat”… 90s; et al.

4 Likes

Hell. YES. :metal:t2:

2 Likes

Huzzah!!!

2 Likes

So much talent launched Milestone, glad to see it back with some of the founders

1 Like

Static Digital-First Miniseries

Following in April, fans can expect new adventures of Dakota teenager Virgil Hawkins in a six-issue Static digital-first series.

In this monthly miniseries (20 pages per issue), bullied nerd Virgil is gifted with incredible electromagnetic powers in the wake of the Big Bang. Now he finds himself caught between an over-militarized police response to Black kids getting special abilities and some of those kids who are using those powers in dangerous and destructive ways. But when the bullies who terrorized him before the Big Bang show up with powers of their own, can Static be the hero that Dakota needs?

Static launches Monday, April 12. Each 20-page issue will be available on participating digital platforms for $3.99.

I’m liking this updated origin.

Yeah, back in the 90s none of the Milestone comics were interesting to me. This time around though, surprisingly all of it’s interesting to me. And so far it looks as though it’s just a few tweaks here and there. I suppose that’s all it took to get me onboard.

These two character designs (re-designs) that we’ve seen so far are perfect. They look like they’re wearing Nike All Conditions Gear or something. Again, perfect.

And a self-contained Earth M.

I love, love, love that. I love that DC has the Multiverse. It makes so many things possible, and lots of times better; DC’s Black Label for example.

I guess these are now my most anticipated comics.

See also: MILESTONE RETURNS #0

1 Like

Sounds very interesting.

Will check it out for sure.

2 Likes

Just read it, it’s laying an interesting foundation to build on.

2 Likes

To be honest I am a tiny bit disappointed because I thought the new static title was going to be released this month but looking back at things, I think I misunderstood the plan.

Anyway, I am glad to know the official release data and I am happy to wait.

1 Like

@abdul.ladan.56786, yeah, better late than never.

It’s been about six years in the making at this point.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2015/01/21/exclusive-milestone-media-rises-again-hudlin-cowan-and-dingle-will-revive-company-with-eye-toward-characters-of-color/

And everything was supposed to start this month, in February. At least the Static digital-first series was supposed to start this month.

I imagine changes in creative teams may be the cause for the delay.

Going back to 2017…

Reginald Hudlin and Ken Lashley were going to do an Icon and Rocket-focused series. Greg Pak was going to do a series. Denys Cowan was always going to do a Hardware series, so that hasn’t changed.

And Reggie Hudlin and Kyle Baker were going to do a Static series. Now I believe that’s just going to be an original graphic novel.

There were also other series. Unless those have been scraped we’ll most likely get them as we go forward.

Sanford Greene is rumored to be working on something at Milestone.

As for what we are getting…

So, on his Twitter and Instagram, Nikolas Draper-Ivey said…

Thrilled to say that I’ve contributed to the MILESTONE RETURNS one-shot that’s out on February 26th– and that I’ll be involved in the NEW Milestone relaunch going forward! What am I doing?

Stay tuned for the announcements on the 26th!! It’s an honor be working with @reggiehudlin @denyscowanart and @marquis.draper.

ニコラス・ドレーパーアイビー
nikolasdraperivey

Also…

Yep, my favorite artist. [insert smiley face]

Checking out his Twitter and Instagram, I see Samurai Champloo influences. Nice.

If Nikolas Draper-Ivey is the artist for the STATIC miniseries, it’ll be interesting to see if it’s done in a manga-style. I think that would be kind of cool.

And always with an eye towards HBO Max, if there’s an animated “Static” series in the works, this character design is pretty great.

DC, WarnerMedia. You can do this…

3 Likes

I like the new Static design.

And have really enjoyed reading through the Milestone comics on here already. Hardware is a great character and story, and my favorite of the old series released on here so far.

Absolutely THRILLED about this!!!

/ :white_heart: / :purple_heart: / :black_heart: /

This is wonderful news! I loved Milestone Comics.

So MILESTONE RETURNS: INFINITE EDITION #0 is out.

https://www.comixology.com/Milestone-Returns-2021-0/digital-comic/923652?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC90b3BSZXN1bHRzU2xpZGVy

It was good. I liked it.

The big takeaways for me, the upcoming digital-first miniseries.

I was already onboard for STATIC.

Static Digital-First Miniseries

Following in April, fans can expect new adventures of Dakota teenager Virgil Hawkins in a six-issue Static digital-first series.

In this monthly miniseries (20 pages per issue), bullied nerd Virgil is gifted with incredible electromagnetic powers in the wake of the Big Bang. Now he finds himself caught between an over-militarized police response to Black kids getting special abilities and some of those kids who are using those powers in dangerous and destructive ways. But when the bullies who terrorized him before the Big Bang show up with powers of their own, can Static be the hero that Dakota needs?

Static launches Monday, April 12. Each 20-page issue will be available on participating digital platforms for $3.99.

ChrisCross and Nikolas Draper-Ivey on the art. I approve. [insert smiley face]

The ICON & ROCKET digital-first miniseries in the big surprise to me.

Icon & Rocket Digital-First Miniseries

The return of Augustus Freeman and Raquel Ervin is also in the works, with a new series featuring Icon and Rocket.

What happens when superheroes actually make a difference? When Raquel Ervin broke into the home of a wealthy Black lawyer, she didn’t expect to learn that he was a nearly omnipotent alien, lost in despair of ever returning home—and he didn’t expect that she would inspire him to emerge from the shadows and become a force for change on the planet he’s trapped on. What starts out as a simple request to stop the drug trafficking in her neighborhood turns into a mission to eliminate the drug trade worldwide. However, this act of heroism has unexpected consequences, making the pair the two most wanted criminals in the world when actually stopping crime leads to the collapse of the global economy!

The debut issue of this six-issue monthly series (20 pages each) arrives June 21 for $3.99 per issue.

One of my favorite artists, Doug Braithwaite (from JUSTICE), is doing the art. Wow.

I’ve always wanted to like Icon, I just never really cared for Rocket (and that’s the sole thing that held me back), but with Doug Braithwaite on the art… they may have me now.

When Jim Lee did the art for the MILESTONE RETURNS #0 preview from DC FanDome…

…it was like, “Okay, I can see myself reading this.”

Now with Doug Braithwaite. Yeah, I can see myself reading this.

This is a good day. (Ha!)

Oh, and Denys Cowan and Bill Sienkiewicz are on the art for HARDWARE, so no surprise there. And written by Brandon Thomas.

The Icon news though, that’s the topper for me.

I think I may have a new favorite everything. (again… Ha!)

2 Likes