DC RELAUNCH! Is All but Confirmed. THE NEXT ERA BEGINS IN JANUARY! Bendis’s Run Ends! Endless Winter! Death Metal Ends! AND MORE

It’s tough because I think something is definitely happening after Death Metal but I think some of the conclusions you draw are forced to fit your hypothesis. Since the internet is tricky, I want to point out that I say that respectfully. I see the threads you’re tying together but to me Endless Winter doesn’t come across as something final. Had plans gone forward as scheduled for 5G, the timing of EW would be off. And the characters don’t really stand out as who you choose for a final crossover. Although, there seems to be a heavy component dealing with the past and they could always do a time travel reset which fits your idea.
It also stands out to me that Bendis ending was specifically mentioned for Action and Superman but not for Legion. I took that as he could be staying on Legion, or it’s still got a few issues left.
Introducing, and emphasizing, the new anti vigilante mayor doesn’t seem like a “run is ending” move over in Detective.
But you never know. Heck, while I was typing this an article could have been published that dismantles my whole counterpoint.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Waid’s a really great writer, but if he joins DC I hope it is to bring some action to reform DC with his moral compass. Fighting Comics Gaters and working for DC is a bit like Greta working for Exxon.

Some thoughts

1. I think Endless Winter was created after Covid-19 happened and was created to be “filler” for what’s to come. Most of these titles have finished their runs and this is a “We need to fill a month” comment. However, it will probably introduce major plot threads.
  2. It’s unclear what is happening with Legion of Superheroes still. I’m waiting for Bendis to comment about it.
  3. Generally, family-line wide reboots try to keep a new premise that the line agrees to. Detective Comics seems to be implying that the line-wide direction could be that Superheroes and Villians are illegal in Gotham and could result in death or something. That would be the perfect way to start a line and this could be the set up. A run doesn’t have to end on a conclusion, they can lead up to a bombastic opening (or conclude with a 5 page epilogue or something).
2 Likes

The one thing making me wonder about Waid taking over is that he has a MASSIVE job at Humanoids and is the creative head of the entire company (I think). I have a hard time thinking he could do that and be the head voice of Superman, but you never know…

He’s wanted to write Superman’s monthly title for YEARS.

1 Like

I think it’s quite possible. He’s not writing anything at Marvel after November. Could be that he’s spending the next couple months writing scripts ahead of solicts?

1 Like

I feel like Lois dreamt a lot about Kara the last two years. :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah I’m curious as to how they are going to approach this. I can’t imagine they will keep Bendis’s changes. Will they spend a bunch of issues retconning his stuff, do some sort of time travel event, or just act like it didn’t happen while throwing in one of these ( :wink:) somewhere in a panel for Superman fans. LOL.

1 Like

I think Bendis had some great ideas that could have worked with the right execution and some different more human directions.

1 Like

That’s fair, it had its moments. Just wasn’t a fan personally of his run overall.

Me neither, but Jon at 17 had a lot of potential. I would have used it as a coming of age as he has to reexplore what it means to be human having been a “superhero” for 7 years of his life. What insecurities does he have? How has superheroic masculinity shaped his life and pushed him away from his humanity? What triggers his traumas? Is he scared of fire after being trapped in a fiery prison for years? What about sexuality and trying to balance school and superheroics? How does Jon “catch up” now?

This is what I meant by potential. But this isn’t let’s have him fight a bad guy then create the United Planets and then go to space college!!!

3 Likes

Well I had no idea you were a such a fan of Jon Kent :crazy_face:. I hear ya though and these would be cool character developments. I’m personally not a huge Jon fan, I don’t dislike him but I’m also okay with undoing what’s been done. I hope whatever changes come if they do, you’ll like them buddy. :nerd_face:

Jon is my favorite character of the decade. That’s why I am PISSED about how Bendis treated them.

3 Likes

Well, if ya want I can jump in my time machine and when I see Bendis I’ll give him a big hug and won’t let go! If he or anyone ask why I’ll tell’em I don’t want to free his hands because he’s going to ruin Jon!

2 Likes

I appreciate it!!!

1 Like

They gave an out to the teenage Jonathan Kent in Justice League

1 Like

The Bendis run on Superman and his family wasn’t a dream. It was a nightmare!!!

2 Likes

As far as a another DC relaunch goes? OY! I’ll reserve judgement until January.

1 Like

Looks like I’m in the wrong thread to share this opinion, but I’ve loved Bendis on Superman and will miss him on the book. He has a great feel for Clark’s voice!

6 Likes